Rookie

Connectivity fine with one router but not another?

A few days ago, my brand-new Tenda AC15 wifi router stopped working, yet my Spectrum internet-connected modem (a self-owned SB6141) was still receiving great signal.

According to the router, "the remote server could not be reached" and it's not being assigned an IP address from the modem.

Upon factory-resetting the router, the quick setup seems to think it's on a static IP address, but I talked to Spectrum to see if my IP settings had changed, and they insist I'm still on dynamic.

No amount of modem power-cycling and router factory-resetting fixed it, so I went out and bought a Belkin N600DB wifi router to tide me over until I could figure it out.

Here's the thing: the AC15 is brand-new, out of the box. The Belkin router connected to the internet just fine, practically as soon as I plug it in. I even did a factory reset of the modem, but nothing works.

I think Spectrum changed some setting or is doing something, but I can't figure out what. Can anyone help me?

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Connectivity fine with one router but not another?

What speed? and is the tenda on the approved list?

Copy and paste the working modems signal level page and the non working ones as well, it will need to be on coax... for the copy, then reconnect your working modem and do a paste here

are you using a second router inline?

Proven Sharer

So your owned modem can provide a PC with an IP address if it is connected directly via ethernet cable?  But your router is not handing out IP addresses / not connecting to the modem?

How is your router set up?

Lead Moderator

So that we understand.

You can connect when directly connected to your modem. 

Your modem works properly, you can connect the Belkin router to the modem and all is well.

Your modem works properly but when you connect your Tenda AC15 wifi router it does not. 

It would seem to me that there is a problem with the Tenda. Perhaps @MsRaye or @karlbeckman would have some insight as to why one would work and not the other outside of that. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Established Sharer

Your Tenda15  router includes 1000 Mbps (Gigabit) networking while your previous Belkin unit only ran at 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet).  Based on that I suspect one of two possibilities:  1)  You are using a non-CAT5e ethernet cable between the modem LAN port and router 'Internet' connector, OR

2)  Your computer has been set to a fixed data rate of 100 Mbps. 

Next, knowing that the Tenda15 router is of Chinese design and manufacture, I would suggest that it may not provide a sufficient level of data network security for many users, and I'll point out that the Tenda device is 3 years old and started at over $200, so the current price of  $49 at Walmart hints that it is about to be closed out.

Rookie

@dstoffawrote:

So your owned modem can provide a PC with an IP address if it is connected directly via ethernet cable?  But your router is not handing out IP addresses / not connecting to the modem?

How is your router set up?

Out of four attempts to set it up after doing a factory reset, the set-up wizard page asked me to manually enter the static IP information twice, and (correctly) thought  it on a dynamic IP two times.

@karlbeckmanwrote:

Your Tenda15  router includes 1000 Mbps (Gigabit) networking while your previous Belkin unit only ran at 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet).  Based on that I suspect one of two possibilities:  1)  You are using a non-CAT5e ethernet cable between the modem LAN port and router 'Internet' connector, OR

2)  Your computer has been set to a fixed data rate of 100 Mbps. 

Next, knowing that the Tenda15 router is of Chinese design and manufacture, I would suggest that it may not provide a sufficient level of data network security for many users, and I'll point out that the Tenda device is 3 years old and started at over $200, so the current price of  $49 at Walmart hints that it is about to be closed out.

The manufacturer has released new firmware within the last year, so it's probably good. Would using the wrong kind of ethernet cable prevent an IP address from being assigned? Up until last week, the Tenda router received an IP assignment without issue.

Established Sharer

A cable that doesn't have all eight wires connected definitely will cause connection issues between Gigabit (1000bT) and Fast Ethernet (100bTX) ports.  Typically they will not be able to auto-negotiate a speed across the cable link.  You would have to force both ends to either 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps full duplex.  Be sure to set both ends back to Auto-Negotiate when you swap in a true CAT-5e patch cable.  

Contributor

"Here's the thing: the AC15 is brand-new, out of the box. The Belkin router connected to the internet just fine, practically as soon as I plug it in. I even did a factory reset of the modem, but nothing works."

That's  enough to tell me that the problem is with AC15

"I think Spectrum changed some setting or is doing something, but I can't figure out what. Can anyone help me?"

If they did, why  would your Belkin works as expected?