Expert

Re: Chromecast wont work with Askey RAC2V1A router

encryption type wrong?

No ones got any detailed screen shots of the askey to look for an option that might be set wrong.

Or a firmware issue.

Why don't you just use your router since it works?

Observer

Hi I am also having this same problem as well as other people on Reddit experiencing the same thing like here: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/7ov0dp/cant_connect_chromecast_on_spectrum_gigabit/

I have an extended network as well but I connected my Chromecasts solely to the Askey. I am using a Chromecast Ultra which is detected and a regular Chromecast which is not detected. Google says the problem is in the router.

I have set AP Isolation off and ensured uPnP is on. I believe this is an issue with the router since my own Netgear routers when used do not have this issue, but can not handle the throughput otherwise I would use them.

Established Sharer

@Sminc   So to recap what you've said earlier, the modem feeds the Askey router's WAN port.  The Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra plug into LAN ports 1 and 2 , the Netgear into LAN port #3 and your laptop into LAN port #4 of the Askey router. 

Can you please interrogate the Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra devices and both the Askey and Netgear routers and then post the IP addresses assigned to each (4 total)?  That should give us the key data we need to resolve this puzzle.

Last, is there any chance you would consider replacing your existing "too slow" Netgear router with a faster model that DOES work with both tiers of Chromecast?

Browser

I found with an extended network if your chromecast is connected to the spectrum router you can connect your phone to the other router reboot your chromecast  and it will work until your phone connects to the spectrum router. That was too much of a hassle for me but I get about 100mb through the extended network so I havent really had any issues with casting.  So I connect my chromecast through the extended network and it works good enough. I never had a problem till I got the new router

Browser

I have mine going through and extender so not sure it will help. Chromecast is wireless

Askey 192.168.1.1

Extender 192.168.1.200

Chromecast 192.168.1.249

When everything was connected to the askey router I could see in the client list everything connected. The phone and chromecast cant communicate when both are connected to the askey router. Any combination of them connected between the askey and extended router works as long as my phone and chromecast arent connected to the askey router at the same time.

Established Sharer

Recommendation was already made to first get rid of the network extender.   It will always cut your speed by at least 50% and creates other network addressing issues which you are struggling with right now.

Expert

Go into the askey and TURN OFF "AP ISOLATION"

That isolates devices on the wireless access point.

Next issue may be if one is running IPv6 and the other IPv4....

Turn off IPv6

last issue is the 2nd router... It must be in AP or bridged mode Sticking it in NAT routing mode will mess you up especially if it's also on 192.168.1.1  You can put it on 192.168.2.1 with NAT, lol

but forget sharing between the 2 subnets easily

Observer

@karlbeckman

I have the TC-4400 Modem wired to the RAC2V1K with both Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra connected wirelesssly to the RAC2V1K on the 2.4ghz spectrum, with no range extenders. I switched back to my old router, the Netgear R7000, and it has no issues with the Chromecasts. The issue seems to be rampant with other Askey router models according to Spanish online forums.

Browser

Thank you detective. Thats not the problem. Thats the solution. The chromecast and phone wont communicate when connected to the provided router. 100mbps isnt the problem. Thats the only way I can get my chromecast to work with the provided router. Im not having network addressing issues. Everything works regardless of the router they are connected to. The only issue im having is when the chromecast and phone are connected to the provided askey router. Even with no extender the phone and chromecast wont communicate

Browser

@MsRaye

AP iso off. ipv6 off. Bridged with static ip. 192.168.1.200. Every other device is detected by every device except the chromecast