Newcomer

Chromecast AP Isolation with Technicolor Modem Model TC8715D

I just got off with tech support and they cannot find a way to turn off AP isolation in order to get my chromecast to work. Any suggestions?

Everyone's Tags (2)
3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Chromecast AP Isolation with Technicolor Modem Model TC8715D

WHAT?

AP isolation is usually by default OFF.  Sounds like public wifi...

Connect to the router via an ethernet cable, wireless administration might be off

Go into the wireless tab. Might be in it's advanced options...

Verify the router isn't in public WIFI mode and that there is just one wireless SSID .

Are you sure that this is the router you're connected to and not a neighbors like if you're in dense housing? Or a twc wifi hotspot?

Wireless must be in the private home mode and both the 2.4 and 5.8 radio modules set the same.

Compare the IP addy between the wireless device and the wired one in your network/ internet connection wizard and also see if both have the same public IP.

I have this router and it's been giving my Google Home and Chromecasts problems since I switched to it. There doesn't seem to be any AP Isolation setting or public/private setting and I've been on several support calls with Google to no avail. My 2.4 and 5 ghz have separate SSID's and passwords so I know the Chromecasts and Google Home aren't connecting or switching to the 5ghz. I have to believe there is some quirk or setting with this router that periodically gives the CC and Home connections the fits. 

Established Sharer

dperkins wrote:

I have this router and it's been giving my Google Home and Chromecasts problems since I switched to it. There doesn't seem to be any AP Isolation setting or public/private setting and I've been on several support calls with Google to no avail. My 2.4 and 5 ghz have separate SSID's and passwords so I know the Chromecasts and Google Home aren't connecting or switching to the 5ghz. I have to believe there is some quirk or setting with this router that periodically gives the CC and Home connections the fits. 

A few questions so we can dig deeper for you:

What modem did you have before that worked correctly?  When (month) did you change?

Do you rent this router from TWC or did you purchase it yourself?

If you rent it from TWC, did they update you from a different model?  What was the old one?

I wasn't aware that you could edit settings in a rented modem to have different SSIDs between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, other than the auto-appended suffix "-5G".