Observer

Can't log into cable modem in bridge mode

I have a DG860A modem connected to my Airport Extreme router.  Because the Airport Extreme shows a Double Nat message, I put the DG860A modem into bridge mode (as suggested by others).  This works great.  However, once that happens I cannot log in to the DG860A modem anymore (using admin/password).  The only way I can do this is reset the modem and start all over (thus getting Double Nat error again).

Has anybody experienced this and figured out a way to log back into the modem?

Thank

16 REPLIES
Participant

Re: Can't log into cable modem in bridge mode

Hi amweiss,

Have you tried   192.168.100.1    or    192.168.10.1   or    192.168.1.1

I know the book says   192.168.0.1   but this is for normal operation.

I have an old Cisco DPC2100 which only works in bridge mode, and I have a Firewall Box after it.

The modem gives the Firewall Box a Public IP, and the internal network is 192.168.15.1

I discovered that I can access the modem anyway at  192.168.100.1

Note:    your AirPort may have defaulted to one of the above addresses.

you can change it to something like  192.168.15.1   so it is out of the way.

I don't know if this will work for you, but give it a try.

Expert

The 2 IP's are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.100.1 . The first is in the all in pne or no router mode, the scecond if you're using a router

You also should not use the routers default stating DHCP if it's 192.168.0.2. Change that to 192.168.1.100 and put any static IP's @ 192.168.1.99 and lower. Single last difits spell trouble on user terminal devices.

Once done, you need to repair network connection in your terminal devices control panel

Observer

Thanks..yes, I tried all of those..192.168.100.1 leads to a status page, but if you try to log in from that it still gives invalid username and/or password (for admin/password - which is what allowed me to log in if not in bridge mode).  I looked at the Airport Extreme, but there doesn't appear to be any option to change the address (and it doesn't show anything related to 192.168, etc.

Observer

Thanks, my DHCP Range is 10.0.1.12 to 10.0.1.200
Observer

also, here is a short move that shows my experience trying to log in

http://www.screencast.com/t/Tfa94qYhByQ

Expert

Google your modems model and password...

The airport is probably ok, it's the stupid Arris all in ones that have issues with invalid DHCP addressing.

Airports have all the options. It might need to be in NAT mode, not bridged or proxy server on, for the screen to come up

It has to assign a DHCP range of id's to your devices

Expert

Double digits are ok, it's the single digit ones that wreak havoc.  you can assign statics from 10.0.1.201-253

Observer

thanks will try that...also, the airport extreme is in DHCP and Nat router mode.

Observer

ok...changed the statics to 10.0.1.201-253 and still get no access to the modem...it seems the problem, as you said, is with the cable modem.