Observer

Cable modem w/ 300mbs+Internet/Telephone/backup batter (no WiFi necessary)

I've been frustrated with the Arris TG1672G cable modem supplied by Spectrum. If I use more than one ethernet port there are connectivity problems with other devices. I would like to buy a retail replacement modem that is capable of handing internet (300mbs+), telephone, and ideally has a backup battery. I run the Arris TG1672G modem in bridge mode because I use a different router for WiFi. Any suggestions for a modem that works well on Spectrum? 

8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Cable modem w/ 300mbs+Internet/Telephone/backup batter (no WiFi necessary)

You have to use the Spectrum supplied modem for phone, but you can use your own modem and router for internet.

Are you trying to use more than one ethernet port on the on the 1672 or from your own router? If the 1672 is in bridged mode you should only have one ethernet connection going to your router. From the router you would then have all of your ethernet connected devices.

Observer

reds91185 wrote: 

Are you trying to use more than one ethernet port on the on the 1672 or from your own router? If the 1672 is in bridged mode you should only have one ethernet connection going to your router. From the router you would then have all of your ethernet connected devices.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, on the 1672 in bridge mode I have one ethernet port going to my WiFi router and another going to my security system. Since I'm in bridge mode should I only connect the WiFi router to port 1 out of the 1672 and then the security system to ethernet out of the WiFi router? I've found that the ethernet out port on the 1672 other than port 1 are not very reliable. 

Established Sharer

creaky wrote:

reds91185 wrote: 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, on the 1672 in bridge mode I have one ethernet port going to my WiFi router and another going to my security system. Since I'm in bridge mode should I only connect the WiFi router to port 1 out of the 1672 and then the security system to ethernet out of the WiFi router? I've found that the ethernet out port on the 1672 other than port 1 are not very reliable. 

Correct. Connect all other devices to the router.

Observer

reds91185 wrote:

creaky wrote:

reds91185 wrote: 

Correct. Connect all other devices to the router.

Thanks, hopefully this is the end of my connectivity problems!

Expert

All routing must be handled by a router in NAT mode. TWC doesn't supply multiple IP's and a bridged combo modem must have it's wireless off and an external NAT router connected to only the first port.

You then need to setup port forwarding for your security camera's in the NAT router so you can remote view them.

You may also need to turn off IPv6 since the 1672 is running EMTA phone... The compatability issue was never corrected.

Observer

Thanks for the reply. If I were to take the Arris modem out of bridge mode and only disable the WiFi in order to use it for routing and then put my WiFi router in AP mode, would I be able to use more than one ethernet port simultaneously on the Arris modem without issue? 

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Yes.

Arris in BRIDGE mode, WiFi is turned OFF =

Arris has ONE active ethernet port (#1)

Then YourRouter connects to Arris port 1 by ethernet CAT-5e cable.  All devices must connect to YourRouter ethernet ports by ethernet CAT-5e cable or by WiFi using YourRouter's WiFi. 

Arris in ROUTER mode, WiFi is turned OFF

Arris has FOUR active ethernet ports (#1) and YourRouterAP  connects to one of them.  You must turn WiFi ON and disable DHCP and NAT in YourRouter, and let it detect the gateway address assigned by the modem (often will be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1).

Observer

karlbeckman wrote:

Yes.

Arris in BRIDGE mode, WiFi is turned OFF =

Arris has ONE active ethernet port (#1)

Then YourRouter connects to Arris port 1 by ethernet CAT-5e cable.  All devices must connect to YourRouter ethernet ports by ethernet CAT-5e cable or by WiFi using YourRouter's WiFi. 

Arris in ROUTER mode, WiFi is turned OFF

Arris has FOUR active ethernet ports (#1) and YourRouterAP  connects to one of them.  You must turn WiFi ON and disable DHCP and NAT in YourRouter, and let it detect the gateway address assigned by the modem (often will be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1).

Thank you!