CANT HIT THE 300mbps with my Equipment

Need HELP!  I have the TWC DVW32CB Modem  and a LinkSys EA6900 Wireless Router.  As far as I can determine I have all the right equip to be able to use the 300/20 TWC internet plan HOWEVER the best I can get using my Wireless Network is 75/20.  The EA69000 ethernet ports are 1g capable.  The ethernet cable from the modem to the router is a 5e  type so thats capable of carrying the load.

When I do a direct ethernet from the modem to my computer, I can easily hit over 300mbps. 

Where is my problem and hopefully a solution.....

3 REPLIES
Expert

Re: CANT HIT THE 300mbps with my Equipment

The radio modem in your computer probably...

What speed do you get on a wired connection to the router?

But,  75/20 is fast enough for all applications.  The 200 is divided up among all your devices anyway.

Established Sharer

kanaka913 wrote:

Need HELP!  I have the TWC DVW32CB Modem  and a LinkSys EA6900 Wireless Router.  As far as I can determine I have all the right equip to be able to use the 300/20 TWC internet plan HOWEVER the best I can get using my Wireless Network is 75/20.  The EA69000 ethernet ports are 1g capable.  The ethernet cable from the modem to the router is a 5e  type so thats capable of carrying the load.

When I do a direct ethernet from the modem to my computer, I can easily hit over 300mbps. 

Where is my problem and hopefully a solution.....

=================

The router is dual band, what are the wireless specs on your compputer??

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

The Linksys EA6900 includes 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi.   The 802.11 n on 2.4 GHz is normally 450 Mbps, and can bump up to 600 if the computer side also supports n's 'Turbo' mode.  Speed on 5 GHz in 802.11ac mode is the usual 1.3 Gbps.  One caveat: You will need an 802.11ac adapter or a wireless adapter with a 3x3 MIMO antenna configuration to get the maximum claimed performance from this router. 

And we have one more speed test for you to run:  Computer wired into a router LAN port using Ethernet cable.  You should see the same speeds up and down as when you were connected directly to the modem WAN port.  Anything  less is a router problem!

If you are only seeing 75 Mbps on WiFi, the router's 5 GHz WiFi is running as 802.11 n.  It is likely that your computer's WiFi adapter doesn't support 802.11ac mode.  As originally reported by both C-Net and Trusted Reviews, the 6900 router's WiFi is known to be buggy and unstable on the 5 GHz band.

Other  TWC users have reported that the "Media Prioritization" QoS feature is defaulted ON during the initial setup, significantly limiting WiFi speeds.  Check that setting and change the limit if it is set at less than half your package's download speed.