Participant

Blu Ray stopped connecting to WiFi , won't accept Network Connection Settings

H i folks-
I am restarting this subject since the issue is still going on and I have not been able to figure it out 

I hope I can explain the situation properly  .

My Blu Ray suddenly stopped connecting to internet .
Check network settings  message

Network settings does not show my WiFi network name (though the same list of other networks I see via my laptop, phone etc do show up here).
No matter how many times I try to scan for network or manually set up with SSID and password, I still get  "unable to connect, check settings".

I was finally able to establish a connection when I plugged Ethernet directly into Blu Ray but never wirelessly.
No problems with any other WiFi devices.

My setup includes:
- TV

-OTA antenna
- Airport Extreme
- Apple TV
- Arris Surfboard
- Panasonic Blu Ray

ISP: TWC , now  Spectrum

- Internet only, no cable tv service.

I've dealt with tech support both my provider and with panasonic but have gotten nowhere. Presumably they are just bots because they never really address the questions.

The Arris site event logs show many "critical" "error" messages with details like "Missing BP configuration" , "Resetting the cable modem" and so on and but I don't know how to interpret the information enough to try correcting , nor what service tech I should be talking to.

Following  are some of theof the event logs  and status  readings in case that's helpful.
Let me know whether I should include other data.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Status
The statuses listed show the connection state of the cable modem. They are used by your service provider to evaluate the operation of the cable modem.
Startup Procedure
Procedure   /  Status    /  Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel  :  Locked
Connectivity State:    OK /  Operational
Boot State:  OK / Operational
Configuration File OK
Security:  Enabled  / BPI+
DOCSIS Network Access Enabled:  Allowed

Event Log
The table below contains the log of events that the SB6183 has detected. This log can be important to the service provider to help diagnose and correct problems, if any should occur.

Sun Feb 05 16:02:06 2017      Notice (6)       TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=78:96:84:e8:ca:ce;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:87:44:84;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sun Feb 05 16:02:05 2017    Error (4)         Missing BP Configuration Setting    

TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=78:96:84:e8:ca:ce;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:87:44:84;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sun Feb 05 16:02:05 2017       Error (4)      Missing BP Configuration Setting       TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=78:96:84:e8:ca:ce;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:87:44:84;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Time Not Established      Notice (6) Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

Wed Jan 11 18:24:12 2017    Critical (3)     Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow

21 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Blu Ray stopped connecting to WiFi , won't accept Network Connection Settings

Sounds like the wireless adapter in the Blu-ray player is having some issues. How long have you had it for?

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Participant

Re: Blu Ray stopped connecting to WiFi , won't accept Network Connection Settings

Hmm.. 5+ years.

By wireless adaptor, do you refer to an actual piece of internal hardware in the player?

Sharer

helenwaite wrote:

H i folks-
I am restarting this subject since the issue is still going on and I have not been able to figure it out 

I hope I can explain the situation properly  .

My Blu Ray suddenly stopped connecting to internet .
Check network settings  message

Network settings does not show my WiFi network name (though the same list of other networks I see via my laptop, phone etc do show up here).
No matter how many times I try to scan for network or manually set up with SSID and password, I still get  "unable to connect, check settings".

I was finally able to establish a connection when I plugged Ethernet directly into Blu Ray but never wirelessly.
No problems with any other WiFi devices.

My setup includes:
- TV

-OTA antenna
- Airport Extreme
- Apple TV
- Arris Surfboard
- Panasonic Blu Ray

ISP: TWC , now  Spectrum

- Internet only, no cable tv service.

I've dealt with tech support both my provider and with panasonic but have gotten nowhere. Presumably they are just bots because they never really address the questions.

The Arris site event logs show many "critical" "error" messages with details like "Missing BP configuration" , "Resetting the cable modem" and so on and but I don't know how to interpret the information enough to try correcting , nor what service tech I should be talking to.

Following  are some of theof the event logs  and status  readings in case that's helpful.
Let me know whether I should include other data.

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Status
The statuses listed show the connection state of the cable modem. They are used by your service provider to evaluate the operation of the cable modem.
Startup Procedure
Procedure   /  Status    /  Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel  :  Locked
Connectivity State:    OK /  Operational
Boot State:  OK / Operational
Configuration File OK
Security:  Enabled  / BPI+
DOCSIS Network Access Enabled:  Allowed

Event Log
The table below contains the log of events that the SB6183 has detected. This log can be important to the service provider to help diagnose and correct problems, if any should occur.

Sun Feb 05 16:02:06 2017      Notice (6)       TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=78:96:84:e8:ca:ce;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:87:44:84;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sun Feb 05 16:02:05 2017    Error (4)         Missing BP Configuration Setting    

TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=78:96:84:e8:ca:ce;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:87:44:84;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Sun Feb 05 16:02:05 2017       Error (4)      Missing BP Configuration Setting       TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=78:96:84:e8:ca:ce;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:87:44:84;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Time Not Established      Notice (6) Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

Wed Jan 11 18:24:12 2017    Critical (3)     Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow

Your blu ray works when plugged directly to what? The modem or the Airport? Do you have the Airport set to any custom settings or the defaults? Specifically did you turn off the 2.4 ghz radio? 

Spectrum Employee

Yes, the hardware in the Blu ray player that can receive the wireless signal.

helenwaite wrote:

Hmm.. 5+ years.

By wireless adaptor, do you refer to an actual piece of internal hardware in the player?

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Participant

Great question.

Blu-Ray to modem via ethernet will get me online with the Blu-Ray player.  

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

helenwaite wrote:

Great question.

Blu-Ray to modem via ethernet will get me online with the Blu-Ray player.  

Please correct this list if I incorrectly summarized anything:

1.  Blu-Ray works when hard-wired to modem's WAN port.

2.  Blu-Ray used to connect to Apple router's WiFi, but does not see the WiFi anymore.

3.  Arris Modem and Apple router hardware have NOT been changed.

4.  Arris Modem and Apple router settings have NOT been changed.

5.  Arris Modem and Apple router have NOT been power-cycled.

6.  All other devices using Apple router's WiFi still work correctly.

7.  AppleTV still connects to TV correctly using Apple router's WiFi.

Can you connect the Blu-Ray to a LAN port on the Apple router using ethernet cable?  That should not need a password. 

Does Blu-Ray find the wired LAN connection OK? 

Does your TV connect through AppleTV properly (you can watch Blu-Ray video?

Participant

Thank you for the helpful checklist.

Here goes:

Please correct this list if I incorrectly summarized anything:

1. Blu-Ray works when hard-wired to modem's WAN port.

Working wired connection  happens when  Blu-Ray LAN port > ethernet cable > modem's ethernet port ( but I don't know whether that is WAN or LAN ) 

2. Blu-Ray used to connect to Apple router's WiFi, but does not see the WiFi anymore.

Correct.  Yet the Blu-ray settings  does show numerous other WiFi networks , just not ours)

3. Arris Modem and Apple router hardware have NOT been changed.
Correct. No changes to hardware.

4. Arris Modem and Apple router settings have NOT been changed.

Correct, No changes that I am aware of.  Do not know whether any auto-updates or changes from the ISP have happened, tho)

5. Arris Modem and Apple router have NOT been power-cycled.

No.  They have both been power-cycled  several  times, not always because of this issue.  
6. All other devices using Apple router's WiFi still work correctly.

Correct.

7. AppleTV still connects to TV correctly using Apple router's WiFi.

Correct.

Can you connect the Blu-Ray to a LAN port on the Apple router using ethernet cable?
Yes, Blu-Ray  will make a wired connection via LAN to Apple router via ethernet but it no longer connects to a  WiFi network as of about a month ago.

That should not need a password. Does Blu-Ray find the wired LAN connection OK?

Yes, Blu-Ray will make a wired connection when  the ethernet cable is  removed from router  and connected directly into the modem 

Does your TV connect through AppleTV properly (you can watch Blu-Ray video?)
Do you mean watching HD video from streaming services such as N-flix?
If so, yes; we can stream  via Apple TV to TV.

Participant

I tried  Open Port Check Tool  at canyouseeme.org .

The report came back as follows:

Error: I could not see your service on   xx. xxx xxx  on port (80)
Reason:  No route to host

Your IP:   xx. xxx xxx
Port to Check: 80

Could this be a clue?

Sharer

Doubtful. Either your blu-ray player or your Airport wireless settiings are messed up. Since everything else connects wirelessly just fine, my money is on the blu-ray player, but just to    humor me can you check your Airport settings via the Airport Utility to see if you somehow turned off the 2.4 ghz radio? If the blu-ray is several years old it probably doesn't recognize the 5 ghz frequency. 

Airport Utility ------> Click on the Airport icon -----> Edit ------> Wireless tab -----> Wireless Options -----> Are the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels set to automatic, to a specific channel, or Off?