Rookie

Askey Router Chromecast Compatibility Woes

Hi Everyone,

I just switched to Spectrum Ultra Internet over the weekend, although the download speeds are great I’m running into significant issues with the provided Askey router (Spectrum Wave 2) when it comes to getting my chromecasts working correctly.

Basically, I can only cast for several minutes after the router is rebooted. After that period my phone doesn’t see any of the chromecasts anymore. I suspect is as to do with AP isolation, which is one setting I can’t find on the router configuration page. A quick google search shows I’m not alone in dealing with this issue.

Has anyone had success getting their Chromecast to work with the Askey Spectrum router?

I should mention I have the first gen Chromecast models, not sure if that makes a difference.

A thought I had was to use my old TP-LINK Archer C2 router which has wireless AC capabilities in conjunction with the Askey router. I tried disabling DHCP on the Askey in order to make it act like an access point since I’m impressed with its range, it’s a lot better than my TP-LINK router. But it doesn’t have an access point mode built into the configuration.

If anyone could share how to bridge an Askey router I would be forever grateful.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Askey Router Chromecast Compatibility Woes

To put a router into bridge mode mode, you must disable NAT, DHCP, Port Forwarding, and the WiFi radios on ONE of the two routers.  Networking experts on this forum usually suggest that the router connected  by cable to the modem's LAN port should be the working router and the 'downstream' unit be the bridged slave.  If you set that WiFi to operate on different channels in each band from the active router, you can treat it as an access point.

Rookie

Re: Askey Router Chromecast Compatibility Woes

Thanks for the advice, I only disabled DHCP on the Askey router and turned off the WIFI radio on the main router connected to the modem. I'll try again tonight by disabling NAT and port forwarding in addition to disabling DHCP. I just hope there isn't something in the Askey's firmware which would still allow the Chromecast issue to exist even in this bridged mode.

My end goal is to utilize the Aksey's superior range and speed while having my TP-Link router do the heavy lifting.