Highlighted
Observer

Arris TG1672 and Netgear WNDR3700 Problem

I'm very new at this but I have been trying to "get to the outside world" from my computer.   When i go to canyouseeme.org, i can't connect to my computer.  I currently have a Netgear WNDR3700 and an Arris TG1672 provide by TWC.  I've been told i should turn "Bridge Mode" on and forward a port to the Arris.  Like i said before, i'm not at this and not sure what to do.  Can someone offer some help?  

13 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Arris TG1672 and Netgear WNDR3700 Problem

You need to have twc turn off the wireless and the nat in the 1672 and set up the 3700 as the nat device. That's also where you set up port forwarding, the 1672 becomes just a dumb modem with emta phone

Observer

So I would just call them and ask them or am I able to do it? Is here anything specific i need to tell them? What is nat?
Observer

Ok, so I went to the settings and changed it to Bridged and now I can't access the Arris modem at all. What can I do to get it back to where it was or do I just need to contact twc? Yeah, I'm an idiot so I apologize.
Observer

Ok, I found out how to switch it back. Whew haha.
Established Sharer

After you reset the modem back into bridging mode, Step 2 is to set your router to obtain all startup network settings from the WAN (cable modem's WAN port). 

Step 3 is to enable NAT and DHCP in your router.  The router IP address from the modem should be assigned as 192.168.1.1  Go into the router setup application and set DHCP to start at 192.168.1.100   If the router then asks for the number of DHCP addresses, the answer is 32. 

Established Sharer

Katman09 wrote:

I'm very new at this but I have been trying to "get to the outside world" from my computer.   When i go to canyouseeme.org, i can't connect to my computer.  I currently have a Netgear WNDR3700 and an Arris TG1672 provide by TWC.  I've been told i should turn "Bridge Mode" on and forward a port to the Arris.  Like i said before, i'm not at this and not sure what to do.  Can someone offer some help?  

That web site is used to look INTO your TWC connection and find open server ports.  TWC does not alllow servers on their residential internet service, so you shouldn't have one.  You should not expect that test site to find open ports.

Observer

Ok, so i was able to Bridge the Arris but not sure about Step 2 thru 3 on my router. I saw the WAN settings on my router for NAT and my options were Secured or Open and it was set on Secured. I was unable to find the DHCP.
Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

Katman09 wrote:
Ok, so i was able to Bridge the Arris but not sure about Step 2 thru 3 on my router. I saw the WAN settings on my router for NAT and my options were Secured or Open and it was set on Secured. I was unable to find the DHCP.

You should be able to run the setup CD or DVD that came with your router.  The user manual is included there as a pdf file. 

"SECURED" usually means that the internal firewall is turned on to block unauthorized packets, which are often malware.

Observer

Ok thanks!  I got everything up and working.  After putting it into Bridge Mode and then turning off all the WIFI on the Arris, i can now get to the outside.  Thank you both for the assistance.