Rookie

Arris SBG6400: Gateway mode can't be changed from bridged mode

[ Edited ]

I have the most frustrating issue where my modem is stuck in bridged mode, and cannot be changed. When I unplug the coax and reboot, I am easily able to change to routed mode. Yet, when the cable goes back in, it defaults back to bridged mode. When trying to change it, the modem reboots and the gateway mode remains bridged.

I've gone back and forth with Arris and Time Warner, both claim the problem is on the other's end. Arris is certain that it's a problem with the firmware pulled from Time Warner, because it's only problematic with coax plugged in. Time Warner strongly believes it's a hardware issue with the network adapter in the modem.

I've been back and forth on the phone with both for hours. I don't know how to proceed from here. Is anybody familiar with this issue? Or have any ideas where I should proceed from here? Because I am obviously not getting any certain answers from either company.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I own the modem.

5 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Arris SBG6400: Gateway mode can't be changed from bridged mode

Is this leased from TWC? It sounds to me like it is provisioned by TWC that way. If they can't take it out of bridge mode you can always exchange it.

Rookie

Should have mentioned that I do in fact own the modem.

Expert

that's an old obsolete 8x4 modem for a start.

There's no guarantee the TWC firmware will run in it and probabvly all the resets are setting it to twc's default settings...

All in ones are junk, period...  Cable co has full access to your router settings. Some might be greyed out. some will change when the cable co or you reset it.

Return it and get a seperate modem and router, s/b at least a 16x4 one as the 8x4's and 4x4's  can't handle the acceptance bandwidth required.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

This also might involve how to edit the modem settings and lock the changes into boot ROM.  Give this a try:

After you've edited and saved your changes, power the modem off for 30 seconds and disconnect the coax.  Now apply power again, push and hold the reset button in for 30 seconds, THEN reconnect the coax cable. 

Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely give that a whirl when I'm back home tonight.