Rookie

Adding an Access Point to Arris cable modem erro r IP on AP statics setting.

Hello,
I have a engenius ECB 1200 I am attempting to add to my networ.
This install is in a sesonal cabin,   Last year I was getting the same errant IP network address scheme, I seem to remember calling Spectrum  an they opened a setting on my account to add the AP. 

SPG7600  Arris Cable router

Comnnecting,  engenius ECB1200 .
I have attempted to set the ap with a static ip, pointed to the cable modem 192.168.0.1.
My AP defautsto an ip in the 164.xxx.xxx.xxx range.

Thank you for the assistance.

Allan

5 REPLIES
Newcomer

Re: Adding an Access Point to Arris cable modem erro r IP on AP statics setting.

are you sure you are not getting a 169 address? This means that the unit is not getting an ip adress at all.

Proven Sharer

Re: Adding an Access Point to Arris cable modem erro r IP on AP statics setting.

Your external IP address is not relevant.  164.xxx.xxx.xxx would be a routable external IP address.

Is your SPG 7600  Arris Cable router actually serving as a router?  (Meaning, are you paying them the $5 per month for "home wifi")

The answer to this question will tell us how to proceed. 

Rookie

The cable modem is mine.  I added a small 5 port ethernet switch  to the moden, connected to the two routed ports on the modem.  I connected my Smart TV and got the errant IP.
Plugged the Smart TV directly into the modem and the IP populated  properly.

And no I do not think we are paying a seperate $5  wifi fee.

Allan

Proven Sharer

@Lizrd62 wrote:

The cable modem is mine.  I added a small 5 port ethernet switch  to the moden, connected to the two routed ports on the modem.  I connected my Smart TV and got the errant IP.
Plugged the Smart TV directly into the modem and the IP populated  properly.

And no I do not think we are paying a seperate $5  wifi fee.

Allan

OK.  You need a router to be the traffic cop between your cable modem and the equipment on your LAN.

The modem will only receive ONE IP address from Spectrum, and only connect to ONE device at a time.  You need to install a router to act as the gateway for your LAN.  Installing a swith or hub downstream of the cable modem will no longer give you multiple public IP addresses.  If your modem also serves as a router, then you will need to configure it to act as a rotuer, too, and not just a modem.  You only connec t to ONE port on the modem if you are using an external router.  If the modem is routing traffic, then only connect one cable between devices.

If you have an OLD wireless router (Wireless a/b/g), you can use it as the gateway - just turn off the wireless radio (so you don't need to worry about cracking WEP encryption) and use its built in switches, and use your wireless AP for wireless by assigning the AP a static IP on your LAN, but outisde the range of addresses given out by the DHCP server in your router.

1.  Connect old Wireless a/b/g router (or your modem) to a computer.  Tell it to be a router.  Disable wireless administration (you always want to administer the router from a wired connection).  Turn off the wireless radio (might be unsafe if very old - but ok to leave on if using modern router).  Assign it the following:

IP Address:  192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0

Gateway:  192.168.0.1

2. For the router's DHCP settings, have it serve IP Addresses from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199.

3.  For the AP you want to use:  Connect it to a laptop with an ethernet cable, and use a web browser on the laptop to set its IP address to 192.168.0.2.  You can set the SSID / password / wireless channel to whatever you want.  After it reboots and configurs itself, connect it via ethernet to the router.

Now you should be able to connect all your wired ethernet devices to the rotuer.  (You can daisy-chain the swtich for additional ports), and you should be able to connect wireless clients via the AP.

Established Sharer

One minor nit-pick:  Set the new AP static address to 192.168.0.11 if you have any Apple devices on the network (either wired or WiFi).  They are known to exhibit connection issues when there's a single decimal digit in the last octet position.