Highlighted
Rookie

Accessing home network externally.

I am trying to setup some home security and be able to access it from outside my home through internet connection.

Items on the network:

1. Time Warner (Spectrum) modem
  2. Netgear Wireless Router
  3. Raspberry Pi.
  4. Personal Computer

Troubleshooting:

• Verified that all wifi devices on network are able to access internet - successful
  • Verified that all ethernet device on network are able to access internet - successful
  • Verified that all devices are able to read/write/share data across internal network. - successful
  • After each change in setting both router and modem were rebooted.
  • Setup port forwarding on router 
    • obtained modem address via https://whatismyipaddress.com/
    • set port forwarding to internal network device on router. 
      • Wifi connected device. 
        • attempted to access using external ip address 
          • on non-standard tcp/udp port (48461) - failed
          • using standard tcp/udp port (21/22/23/80/443) - failed 
      • Ethernet connected device
        • attempted to access using external ip address 
          • on non-standard tcp/udp port (48461) - failed
          • using tandard tcp/udp port (21/22/23/80/443) - failed 

My guess is that the TWC/Spectrum modem does not allow inbound traffic that is not specifically allowed via the ISP.    Any confirmation of this or any ideas on what I'm failing to do or setup is greatly appreciated.

T.I.A. 

3 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Accessing home network externally.

Have you disabled all your firewalls?  If you can connect with all the firewalls down, you'll need to determine which firewall rules / settings are preventing your connection(s).

Valued Participant

What internal device are you trying to connect to.  What services is it running.  I don't know what might be listening on port 48461.  For the others, is the device actually running a ftp server (21), ssh server (22), telnet server (23), or web server (80 and 443) that is listening for requests.

You would have to make the tests from OUTSIDE your network, unless the router is configured for hairpin access.

Cheers.

Rookie

Thanks for all of the help, I got it figured out.  I had to log into the modem itself and set up port forwarding.  Which I didn't know was an option until I found out that the modem has user available settings. 

Thanks for all the help.

internet -> TWC modem -> setup port forwarding -> home network router->port forwarding->Raspberry Pi.   -  successful