Highlighted
Rookie

AV Receiver not connected to network

I was a long time Verizon customer and made the switch to Spectrum due to better pricing. However the spectrum tech said they weren't responsible for going up my receiver which is right next to where he installed Arris DCX-3510-M set top box/DVR. Now I get a "no network
found" error when I try using the receiver for network apps such as Pandora or YouTube.
I've tried running an ethernet cable out of the Arris box to my receiver, but still no network connection. I've called Spectrum customer service and they've told me they aren't responsible for hooking up my receiver. What kind of cable/ internet company doesn't hook up a home theater when they do an installation? Spectrum is the only one I've ever used who has refused to accept responsibility for a complete setup, and I've had Direct TV, ATT, Verizon, etc Any ideas on how to get a network connection to my AV receiver? The modem is in another room across the house.
5 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: AV Receiver not connected to network

Spectrum's responsibility is only as far as its own equipment. I have had multiple service providers and none of them have ever accepted responsibility for anything beyond that. 

Ethernet is not enabled on the set top boxes so the only way to internet connect your AV receiver is to hard wire to the router or access point or use wifi. I have a TiVo Mini hard wired to an Airport Express set up as an access point that works great. 

Established Sharer

There is no internet data modem output on the set-top box, just HDMI or composite AV outputs via RCA jacks.  The RJ45 connector on the rear panel of your DVR or set-top box is used only for Spectrum's service access.   If your receiver requires an internet connection you must connect it into your home data network. 

Several regular contributors to this forum suggest using a pair of powerline extender modems for ethernet when a true cabled connection is not practical. 

Rookie

Thanks for your thoughts. I have an extra router that I'll try to configure as a bridge.
Rookie

I was disappointed to hear the ethernet from the set top box was disabled. I have an extra router that I'll try to configure as a bridge. Thanks for your input
Proven Sharer

I was disappointed to hear the ethernet from the set top box was disabled. I have an extra router that I'll try to configure as a bridge. Thanks for your input

Those old routers laying around are still good for something.