Newcomer

twc is one of the worst corporations

TWC is strong arming customers into paying inflated prices for sub standard services. It advertises a small monthly fee on its website. But forces customers to pay actually double that price.  And that price just keeps randomly increasing. And they keep lieing about why the price has increased. It has an apathetic attitude towards its customers. It literally punishes its customers for actually using its services.

4 REPLIES
Newcomer

Re: twc is one of the worst corporations

I have been a TWC customer for as long as I care to remember. I am actually quite pleased with the service I have been receiving, but I am getting tired of these constant price increases. When I spoke to a rep over  12 months ago, I was told that rather than increase my price when the current promotion ran out, they would sign me up for a new promotion.  That was then, this is now. After a new $22 price increase, I will be looking for an alternative that will be kinder to my budget. I may be mistaken, but I don't feel a 20+ year customer should be treated the same as a new one. I'm not being a cheapskate, I am retired on Social Security and working part time to suppliment income.

Sharer

Tripster wrote:

I have been a TWC customer for as long as I care to remember. I am actually quite pleased with the service I have been receiving, but I am getting tired of these constant price increases. When I spoke to a rep over  12 months ago, I was told that rather than increase my price when the current promotion ran out, they would sign me up for a new promotion.  That was then, this is now. After a new $22 price increase, I will be looking for an alternative that will be kinder to my budget. I may be mistaken, but I don't feel a 20+ year customer should be treated the same as a new one. I'm not being a cheapskate, I am retired on Social Security and working part time to suppliment income.

The FCC study on the cost of cable television shows that, over thet past 10 years (2005-2015), the average cost of video service has increased an average of 4.8% per year.   I fear that one of the biggest reasons for "sticker shock" is that, while you are on a promotion - which typically is always a $30/$30/$30 bundle + equipment fees and surcharges - or something similar, you aren't subject to the regular increase in retail rates, but you still "roll-up" to them when your promotion expires after 24 months.  So not only do you roll off a great steady promo rate, you roll up to a retail rate which has been climbing all along.

I am on a legacy TWC pricing plan, and subscribe to StarterTV for my video service.  It was no more than $14/mo ten years ago.  It's gone up to $26 (and that includes the broadcastTV surcharge I must pay).  Not to mention I must also rent equipment now to watch, which is unfortunate, but understandable in today's work.

What really is unfortunate is the retransmission fees that broadcasters are demanding from cable companies for content that is delivered for free over-the-air with an antenna.

I will LOVE the day if/when the FCC no longer requires cable companies to sell "StarterTV" before adding other video services.  Although if that were to happen, I surmise that many networks would move their programming to their pay stations, as their business model is built on collecting those retransmission fees...

Expert

The FCC does not require the cable co's to sell the locals before other tiers, they do require them to have locals available. So whatever the cable co is trying to sell always includes the locals that they make the most money on and then nail you for the ad ons as well as the  "broadcast ch surcharge" that should be part of the starter/basic package anyway. They do this to advertise a lower than real price.

Woman Sad.

The picture quality on antenna received ATSC digital is way better than the horribly compressed cable qam channels.Woman Tongue especially live sports.

And as for 4k, it's a joke on anything smaller than a 40+ inch screen, and BTW, 8k is now available, just there to make the consumer think more is better. Hey a lot of the new "cast" tv's don't even have tuners in them!

Highlighted
Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

The FCC does not require the cable co's to sell the locals before other tiers, they do require them to have locals available. So whatever the cable co is trying to sell always includes the locals that they make the most money on and then nail you for the ad ons as well as the "broadcast ch surcharge" that should be part of the starter/basic package anyway. They do this to advertise a lower than real price.

This is in disagreement with what I read here:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/regulation-cable-tv-rates

which specifies, "Cable systems generally are required to offer a "basic tier" of programming which must be included for all subscribers before they purchase any additional programming. The basic service tier must include most local broadcast stations, as well as any public, educational and governmental channels required by the franchise agreement between the local franchising authority and your cable company."

Also here:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/cable-television

where Basic Service is defined:

"Basic service is the lowest level of cable service a subscriber can buy.  It includes, at a minimum, all over-the-air television broadcast signals carried pursuant to the must-carry requirements of the Communications Act, and any public, educational, or government access channels required by the system's franchise agreement.  "

And this:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/consumer-options-selecting-cable-channels-and-tier-buy-through-prohibition

The first two Q&A's imply that you MUST buy the Starter Tier to get anything more, and that the Starter Tier MUST carry the locals if there is an agreement in place.

I agree with you on the surcharge  (edited) .. It should be part of the package price.