Participant

trade offs - switching to Spectrum from TW?

So, I've been a TW customer for several years- overall, I'm satisfied. But now that TW has become Spectrum I keep getting letters asking for the switch to Spectrum- with more channels, faster internet (they'll hand out new modems), etc. and with a lower price.  All sounds too good to be true. I don't get it. What's this all about? Why isn't it just automatic instead of making me have to sign up for it. What's the catch? What if I don't request the change? All these frequent changes are starting to look like the constant changes in the insurance industry which drive us all crazy. If I do make the change, I presume installing the new, faster modem will be without headaches? Not sure if this is the best place for this posting but I can't find a better place. There should be a section called "general comments or questions" that don't fit in anywhere else.

8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: trade offs - switching to Spectrum from TW?

If you do nothing you'll stay grandfathered on your existing legacy TWC plan, for the time being.  If you do switch to a Spectrum plan, your tv channel lineup could change slightly so I highly recommend researching the packages before switching to ensure you aren't surprised when a channel is dropped and others are added. As far as internet goes, the modem fee is included in the price and wifi is $5 extra unless you use your own router.

I switched from a TWC plan to a Spectrum several months ago... lost a few channels that I never watched anyway, gained one or two that I do watch, and went from 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps internet for less.

Participant

OK, that makes sense. And installing the new modem went OK? I now hate to change hardware- it just means more stuff that I have to read about. I presume that the new modem will set itself up OK automatically. I did get an updated modem a few years ago.  I recall that it took awhile for it to go through some automatic process to initialize itself (several minutes). I'm just getting too old and lazy to have to configure hardware.

Joe

Established Sharer

I own my own modem and router. I briefly had the included modem and the auto setup worked great, but it took a brief phone call to have the wifi deactivated. I returned it in favor of my own because it was big and ugly and took up too much space (translated from "the significant other hated how it looked").  Your current modem should run just fine without having to be switched, but it could be outdated hence them wanting to switch it out. I assume you are currently renting the modem from TWC?

Participant

Yuh, I rent the modem from TW- it's an Arris Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 Gateways. When I got it a few years ago as an update- it initialized itself with no problem. I don't know if this is considered a current model that can handle such a high speed as Spectrum claims. I have my own router- an old model but it works well- and I also have a switch to increase my ports. It's all working just fine but I sure hate to have think about any of this.

Established Sharer

A newer modem with more available channels may result in less bottlenecks and a more stable connection, but not really faster speeds...at least not at what Spectrum offers. You may have to call to have it put in bridge mode and have wifi deactivated so they don't charge you for it since you have your own router.

Some people here lost channels they regularly watched when they switched and are not happy campers about it, but it didn't impact me at all. One thing I see though is the Viacom channels now seem to only be available in Spectrums highest tier. If Nickelodeon, MTV, TV Land, etc. matter to you be aware of that.

Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

A lot of undue customer frustration I've been seeing in recent months could be easily prevented if customers knew the correct information from the start -- maybe if customers what to ask when an employee is advocating going from L-TWC to SPP, such as:

• Any internet speed change?  Do I need an upgraded modem?
  • What tier is my favorite _____(channel name & #)_____ in?
  • What channels am I gaining/losing with the tier you're suggesting and how much per month?
  • I have DTAs, how can I swap for newer STBs or DVRs? (since cannot use DTAs with SPP coding)
  • Can I have a professional install for upgrading (cable boxes, modems, etc.) since I'm not tech savvy?  How much is the one-time-charge for that?  Can I have additional outlets added or activated at same time?
  • I have whole-home and I want to keep it.  What's the difference between having multiple DVRs versus 1 enhanced DVR and multiple playbacks?
My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Participant

Right on about all those questions. Here's another: so the switch will give me $10/month lower cost. But, if I don't switch- what will be the difference in price after each offering (usually a year?) runs out? Switching seems like such a good deal- you get more for less- but after a year, this new plan will probably jump up substantially in price- and my current plan might not go up that much. It seems that every year we see a big price increase- then I go to the local office and complain and they offer a discount of some sort or other. I just wish the company would stablize its plans and pricing- say, for 5 years at a time. It really is as irritating as dealing with insurnace plans which constantly change. Maybe its time that every community should have 2 cable companies. I've read that where this happens, prices are lower and service better. I don't personally have any problem with TW service. I like having a local store and the people there have always been friendly and since I went with TW about 5 years ago- I've had few problems- a few times the system went down due to storms but that's all.

Established Sharer

The local offices will not be offering discounts like they did in the past. Charter doesn't believe in that business philosophy. They want everything simple...promo for X months, then regular price, all the same across the board for all customers.  As for having two cable companies...sounds great in theory, and probably works great in densely populated areas where there are plenty of customers to go around. In small town rural America, probably not so much. I can see wireless broadband as the future rather than every house being hard wired. We're almost there now with the cell phone companies anyway.