Highlighted
Valued Contributor

rant: we don't need tier-1 support to reboot our modems

i'm getting sick and tired of wasting time on support calls that get routed to india

and the rep has no power whatsoever to monitor and modify my line or modem.

all they can do is speed/ping test to my public ip and issue an smtp reboot.

it's pathetic your own "support" are powerless, and only there to placate.

it means every time there's an issue, i have to call multiple times before getting through  

to teir-3 people who can actually look at my modem remotely and reprovision my line,  

and all this teir-1 rebooting interferes with teir-3's ability to see the bad line conditions.

the way you guys run things now is so **bleep** inefficient and frustrating.

12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: rant: we don't need tier-1 support to reboot our modems

[ Edited ]

This is TWC now spectrums common attempt to temporarily move modems off interference prone channels so they can "solve " the problem rather than repair the ingress.

You cannot fix a physical problem without sending a competent technician.

They also still have a lot of obsolete 4 ch and some 8 ch modems that cannot handle the wide channel spread and none of them can operate properly if the skipped channels have high levels of ingress on them that's now not seen in the signal page.

Expert

[ Edited ]

By resetting the modem, it also empties the log of meaningfull messages as to what the problems were and does nothing to fix them.

In advanced gateways it may also reset the router to TWC defaults to clear out any settings the customer may have tinkered with.

Bad coaxialconnections on a single customer affects everyone on the node and is a common cause of prime time congestion.

Trusted Helper

consorts wrote:

i'm getting sick and tired of wasting time on support calls that get routed to india

and the rep has no power whatsoever to monitor and modify my line or modem.

all they can do is speed/ping test to my public ip and issue an smtp reboot.

it's pathetic your own "support" are powerless, and only there to placate.

it means every time there's an issue, i have to call multiple times before getting through  

to teir-3 people who can actually look at my modem remotely and reprovision my line,  

and all this teir-1 rebooting interferes with teir-3's ability to see the bad line conditions.

the way you guys run things now is so **bleep** inefficient and frustrating.

However,

Even if it were TWC, or any TV rentail  service, rebooting the equipment is the first step that CSR-1 reps are trained to do.  Sometimes, they can see things on the screen during a box reboot that we can't.  In my view, this first step is not meaningless.  But people who are more tech-savvy may want to move to a higher tier level of support.  They have to do the reboot the equipment for the 80 year old grandmother that's clueless about technology, or even for younger people who don't know about the technology.  The rep on the other end of the line does not know a current customer, or a potential customer's experience with technology.

If you are more tech savvy you could request something like "Hi there Spectrum, I need to speak to  someone  for a (name problem) that remains unresolved after (approximate number) of callbacks and many tech visits."  This might get you to a higher level of support.

Satch

Expert

[ Edited ]

They do not see anything during a reboot just a red/yellow/green indicator..

This is why you should always copy and print the data there before you call them.

And in the case of ANY DS or US or TCS?RCS partial service errors, the signal page is very important before their worthless resets.

RESETTING THE MODEM AND RELOADING THE ORIGINAL CMTS CHANNEL LINEUP DOES NOT FIX INTERMITTENT INGRESS ISSUES UNLESS A TECH OR THE CUSTOMER THEMSELVES HAS REPAIRED THE BAD CONNECTION. IT WILL BE BACK AND BOTH TIER 1-2 AND CUSTOMERS HAVE NO CLUE WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN THE DATA. 

The field techs also refuse to look at the customers modem log info as to the intermittents that are probably not occurring when they're on premise

Rookie

[ Edited ]

I hear you. I'm dealing with the same set of nonsense right now. I was even told the other day by a tech that came to my house that he couldn't do anything and that I can keep calling back but I'm only going to get bounced around from tech to tech with no resolution. 

What kind of (edited) is that?!?! Even TWC's own techs are frustrated with it.

Trusted Helper

[ Edited ]

psudox wrote:

I hear you. I'm dealing with the same set of nonsense right now. I was even told the other day by a tech that came to my house that he couldn't do anything and that I can keep calling back but I'm only going to get bounced around from tech to tech with no resolution. 

What kind of (edited)  that?!?! Even TWC's own techs are frustrated with it.

Hi,

What were you there for the tech to do?  And what did he say about all of this?

Satch

Rookie

[ Edited ]

The short version:

I'm having line/infrastructure related issues that are causing frequent connection drops, lag spikes, etc. that can't be attributed to anything else. I'll spare the troubleshooting details here but I went through everything multiple times, even the outsite-the-box type steps. I've called twice, and both times they've sent out a tech. The first tech basically checked things out, blamed my modem and shrugged his shoulders.  I know my issue isn't a modem issue, it's a signal issue, but tried other modems anyway just to humor them and of course nothing changed.

I called again, explained everything, they sent another tech. I explained everything yet again to the second tech and even showed him the lengthy screen captures of the modem diagnostics page proving my symptoms and issue. Without even looking at it he basically said "I understand your problem, I believe you, but there is not a lot I can do and unless I see it happen while I'm here I can't escalate to a higher level tech either. You can call back, but they'll just bounce you from tech to tech. We used to be able to do more, I used to be able to leave test modems and stuff to really try to nail down issues in the past, but they won't let us do much now. I'm sorry. I can take a look at this again, but it isn't going to change much."

I got the feeling he was unhappy with the way they've changed what tech support can do to try to help people. I don't think he was trying to get out of doing anything, just that he didn't want to waste our time going through the motions with both of us knowning it wasn't going to change the fact that someone needs to come out and look at the line itself.

Edit: He did offer his supervisor number for me to call to explain the situation and request an escalation. I called and left the guy a message, but nothing is set up yet.

Trusted Helper

psudox wrote:

The short version:

I'm having line/infrastructure related issues that are causing frequent connection drops, lag spikes, etc. that can't be attributed to anything else. I'll spare the troubleshooting details here but I went through everything multiple times, even the outsite-the-box type steps. I've called twice, and both times they've sent out a tech. The first tech basically checked things out, blamed my modem and shrugged his shoulders.  I know my issue isn't a modem issue, it's a signal issue, but tried other modems anyway just to humor them and of course nothing changed.

I called again, explained everything, they sent another tech. I explained everything yet again to the second tech and even showed him the lengthy screen captures of the modem diagnostics page proving my symptoms and issue. Without even looking at it he basically said "I understand your problem, I believe you, but there is not a lot I can do and unless I see it happen while I'm here I can't escalate to a higher level tech either. You can call back, but they'll just bounce you from tech to tech. We used to be able to do more, I used to be able to leave test modems and stuff to really try to nail down issues in the past, but they won't let us do much now. I'm sorry. I can take a look at this again, but it isn't going to change much."

I got the feeling he was unhappy with the way they've changed what tech support can do to try to help people. I don't think he was trying to get out of doing anything, just that he didn't want to waste our time going through the motions with both of us knowning it wasn't going to change the fact that someone needs to come out and look at the line itself.

Edit: He did offer his supervisor number for me to call to explain the situation and request an escalation. I called and left the guy a message, but nothing is set up yet.

What a nightmare!

Satch

Expert

[ Edited ]

On your other thread, don't reset the modem, copy and paste the signal level and error log pages and your zip code... might be obvious...