Newcomer

monopoly

The spectrum/earthling is nothing but a big monopoly on the cable system with very few options. I have been using 15 mb/s for years. why do i need 60mb/s at the high cost. I didn't need it then and I don't need it now. this is nothing but a big money grab. if there was something else i would use it!!

6 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: monopoly

tom12057 wrote:

The spectrum/earthling is nothing but a big monopoly on the cable system with very few options. I have been using 15 mb/s for years. why do i need 60mb/s at the high cost. I didn't need it then and I don't need it now. this is nothing but a big money grab. if there was something else i would use it!!

While I agree that there should be more options available for less money, the reason there aren't any alternatives is that the cost of an overbuild (by a second provider) will never be recouped in subscription fees.   The challenger will never be able to charge rates as low as the incumbent and still pay off the plant installation / start-up costs.

Lead Moderator

We are sorry to hear you are displeased with offering of the faster speeds. You are not obligated to switch from your current plan. You are able to keep what you are using. 

We do appreciate your opinion and feedback on this! 

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

[ Edited ]

What are you talking about I switched from a TWC  internet plan to a Spectrum internet plan and my bill not only went down $10-$20 but my speeds are 3 times faster. So Spectrum Internet is not more expensive it's cheaper than any plan TWC ever had. Yes I agree there probably should be cheaper plans for others who don't need to faster speeds but either way you are saving money in a long run and it's not just with internet it's the same with TV because I am now getting alot more stations for the same cost.

Expert

Here in NEO on a TWC plan, they bumped my 15/1 up to 20/2 for "free" lol. I was getting 17.5/ 1.2 and now getting 21/2.1 so there's little difference DS

But yes, it's still more $ for less than Spectrums IP deal.

We don't want their TV tier / pricing

Only competition is Windstream DSL @ 6/.6 services and around $50 a month... Modem here is a leased 6141 we do have 16 ds channels available but half are on 3 local tv channels as well as 4G LTE and LMR radio channels so ingress is an issue with the 40 year old infrastructure.

Definitely monopolistic practices

Are these monopolistic business practices?  Most definitely.  Such is being commented on by major news reporting agencies.  Evidently government agencies are already looking in to this.  An onine newspaper stated the President has vowed to block the current AT&T acquisition of Time Warner.  Spectrum is bad enough.   Let it go to AT&T-- and remember how much your cell phone fees are costing you.

Regarding Spectrum:

As a consumer I am not aware of the full background of recent sales of cable companies.  I have read through media that first Time Warner Cable assumed its major competitor Comcast.  Then Time Warner Cable itself was assumed by Spectrum.   Now AT&T is rearing its head?  Exactly how all this is accomplished I'm not sure.

For years Time Warner offered several Internet packages to meet the needs of its customers, starting at $14.95.   Spectrum now offers only one package at $55.   Consumers have no choice of finding another, less-expensive service; they are forced to do business with Spectrum or lose their Internet.   There is little or no competition for many parts of the U.S.

This becomes then a Microsoft-type monopoly, with one company dominating the market and charging their customers maximum prices, leaving them with no other options.   The Internet has become an "essential utility" for many people, yet we see no price regulation in these matters.  With Spectrum's policies-- options to customers are severely limited and prices severely increased.

While my account is currently "grandfathered" at $29.95 a month,  my neighbor who tried to downgrade her service (cancel her TV / internet combo and just go with Internet) was forced to accept a service at far greater speeds than she needs (She's 72 years old and on Social Security).  For this she is charged $55+ a month... just for Internet access.   This is excessive and coercive; she has no option of other companies for Internet provision.  She cannot afford such excessive prices (which is why she cancelled her cable television), but has no choice but to bend to Spectrum's increased fees.

This is gross commercial monopolistic practices at its worst; I am amazed such gigantic acquisitions were even allowed without raising government red flags.   Whoever is in charge of handling monopolistic business practices, whether the FCC or another department-- this is getting out of hand.   Internet prices are increasing drastically as our reliance on the Internet has increased.  

Something should be done about such monopolistic acquisitions.  But let there be no question-- these ARE monopolistic practices... just as monopolistic as Micro$oft.

Highlighted
Lead Moderator

Re: Definitely monopolistic practices

[ Edited ]

@Wayfinder

The merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable did not happen. Charter, Time Warner Cable and Brighthouse Networks have merged to Spectrum. 

Time Warner Inc.  (Not Cable) and AT&T are in the process of trying to merge, not Time Warner Cable, those are, and have been, 2 separate companies for years. I am sorry for any confusion on that.

We do thank you for your feedback and appreciate the time you have taken to come to our forums and participate.

Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums