Re: Whole House DVR Not Supported by Spectrum Cable

New customer, as of 3.28.2017. In Greensboro, NC market. Signed up for WHDVR, which the tech even acknowledged during setup. I was frustrated when I went to pause live TV on a secondary television and that didn't work, then I tried to set the program to record from that TV and couldn't do that either. After some research it appears that's just the way it works, which is far inferior to UVERSE, functionally. Now looking here, it seems I should be thankful for the barely useful WHDVR I have.

On the other hand TWC/Spectrum Internet is so much faster for same or lower cost. Looks like I need both providers for different services.
Newcomer

Just left Dish Network for Spectrum ,because of difference in price .Safed a lot of money for a year ,but lost whole house dvr.Wow what a difference from Dish.Like going from a Bentley to a Corvair.Dish is so much more advanced,but a lot more expensive.I quess if your want a better product you have to pay for it.

Newcomer

I was looking to switch from Dish to spectrum, the only reason I moved to Dish in the first place was because after Time Warner took over Insight my whole home DVR did not work right. The good news is I was just informed Spectrum is getting the whole home DVR the problem they were having was getting one to work with all 3 company’s (TWC, Charter & Spectrum) they told me it's not available in my area (Southern Indiana) yet but will be soon.

Sharer

Who did this info come from? Charter has been working on a cloud based DVR for a couple of years. This may be what they are referring to. I know that if suddenly the traditional whole house DVR is available on Spectrum plans there will be a great many people upset that switching from a TWC plan to a Spectrum plan caused them to lose WHDVR.

Newcomer

I was told by a Spectrum TWC rep he said he just received a memo about it and it available in some areas already and should be available everything soon.

Newcomer

One other thing they told me I could sign up now with just standard DVR’s and switch to the WHDVR when its available. I’m just going to hold off to make sure they get it before I switch.

Sharer

Interesting...perhaps the backlash got management's attention or they had a better option all along than what TWC was offering. Either way this sounds like possibly good news for Spectrum customers.

Newcomer

Lets hope so I would love to switch back but not have WHDVR is not a option for me.

reds91185 wrote:

Interesting...perhaps the backlash got management's attention or they had a better option all along than what TWC was offering. Either way this sounds like possibly good news for Spectrum customers.

Rookie

Spectrum, good luck keeping TWC customers and getting new business.  I have been a TWC customer for 35 years and I am finally throwing in the towel.  I am switching to a competitor next week.  The price goes up and the service goes down.  The commercials for Spectrum stating how wonderful it is are a joke.  Two years ago when I got WHDVR, I had to swap out my STB.  Low and behold, no PIP feature anymore.  A phone call to Tech Support was no help, as all they can say is that it is discontinued on all new boxes and no plans for it later.

OK, I guess I can live with that.  At least I had the WHDVR feature so I could record shows on one box and watch recorded programs on any TV, albeit not fully functional on client boxes, with no ability to schedule recordings, or pause/rewind live TV.

When ON-demand first came out it was a decent service.  Then TWC eliminated fast forwarding through commercials, so now on-demand is totally useless.  The main reason people record stuff and watch it later is to avoid commercials.  I won’t watch anything live anymore.

So now TWC/Spectrum touts the “TV anywhere” feature where we can view live TV and On-Demand shows on internet connected devices like PCs and Smart Phones.  Sounds great.  After closer inspection, live TV is only fully functional when connected to your own network.  Anyplace else you get a subset of channels… and by the way, recorded programs on your home DVR are not available at all.  On demand shows are available if you don’t mind commercials.

Spectrum, your competitors are offering all these features: WHDVR, PIP, On demand with fast forwarding enabled, watching all content on Internet devices, including recorded programming.  You are no longer the only choice in town so you must learn to compete or your fate will be as AOL, PalmOS and Blackberry.

Newcomer

There will be a cloud based sooner then you think once the worldbox 2 is deployed. The new world box 1.1 were getting now is a 4 tuner dvr. Yes, there are multiple tuners on these boxes, not 1. The whole house dvr going away is because cloud based is much more efficient and in all ways better then MOCA. No whole house dvr is not available with the new SPP. Keeping your old legacy TWC is the only way to retain it. Its a transition of 3 companies into one. Things are changing and yes some things are going away but it is making room for the better. As far as the spectrum tv app, yes their are things in place that limit channels ect while not on your home network. This prevents people to an extent from sharing their logins with friends and family like people often do with Netflix. Im sure other companies have their limitations as well, every company has good and bad reviews. Best way to see the differences is trying other things. But spectrum imo will be loads better once the transition is complete (and when docsis 3.1 comes around, but thats for another post)