Newcomer

TWC needs to work on RETENTION

[ Edited ]

After wasting too much time trying to figure out why my pricing keeps increasing and putting in a call to retention, low and behold, there is no option for getting my cable bill lowered! Why is it every company that has customers paying monthly fees for services cares about keeping them and cable companies don't? Here's an idea! Keep the pricing the same across the board and you will keep and GET more customers! That's how you make money people! . I am looking at other avenues as of right now....getting rid of cable.

48 REPLIES
Rookie

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION

you are right !! Just about every TWC customer I speak with is paying different prices for service. I think long time customers in good standing like myself should be offered incentives to continue service with them.

 

 

Moderator

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear about the frustrations, Mbrown1.  While the new customer promotions are not available to current customers, we do have promotions available to current customers as well throughout each year.  If you would like to discuss what options might be available to you, you may reach us at 800-892-4357 during normal business hours for more information on that.  Each year does bring annual pricing adjustments because of the ever increasing costs of broadcast/network and sports programming while also working to maintain and improve the infrastructure for the cable services.  We do try our best to negotiate with these broadcast and network companies to keep the cost as low as possible while maintaining their programming for our customers.

 

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

 

Regards,
Jeremiah S.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Check out the community guidelines here
Spectrum Employee

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION


Mbrown1 wrote:

After wasting too much time trying to figure out why my pricing keeps increasing and putting in a call to retention, low and behold, there is no option for getting my cable bill lowered! Why is it every company that has customers paying monthly fees for services cares about keeping them and cable companies don't? Here's an idea! Keep the pricing the same across the board and you will keep and GET more customers! That's how you make money people! This is BS. I am looking at other avenues as of right now....getting rid of cable.


There is a reason why you price is locked in for a year. After that year, your price increases to reflect the increasing cost of the services being provided. Believe it or not, TWC soaks up a lot of additional increases themselves to alleviate the cost to the customers. On top of that, there is this widely considered notion that you should pay less but receive the same. If someone told you what the retail rate of the services you have are vs the rate you are paying, I think you would be shocked. Any bundle you have I can assure you is heavily discounted as it is, and you will find that your pricing is highly competitive with other providers for similar services, especially once you get beyond those "new customer" deals that reel you in. And while you are exploring those other avenues, please do not forget to read the fine print, and ask a lot of questions. I'd hate for you to get into a contract and not realize things like having to pay for a service call, etc.


I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Trusted Helper

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION

[ Edited ]

DSchroeder wrote:

Mbrown1 wrote:

After wasting too much time trying to figure out why my pricing keeps increasing and putting in a call to retention, low and behold, there is no option for getting my cable bill lowered! Why is it every company that has customers paying monthly fees for services cares about keeping them and cable companies don't? Here's an idea! Keep the pricing the same across the board and you will keep and GET more customers! That's how you make money people! This is BS. I am looking at other avenues as of right now....getting rid of cable.


There is a reason why you price is locked in for a year. After that year, your price increases to reflect the increasing cost of the services being provided. Believe it or not, TWC soaks up a lot of additional increases themselves to alleviate the cost to the customers. On top of that, there is this widely considered notion that you should pay less but receive the same. If someone told you what the retail rate of the services you have are vs the rate you are paying, I think you would be shocked. Any bundle you have I can assure you is heavily discounted as it is, and you will find that your pricing is highly competitive with other providers for similar services, especially once you get beyond those "new customer" deals that reel you in. And while you are exploring those other avenues, please do not forget to read the fine print, and ask a lot of questions. I'd hate for you to get into a contract and not realize things like having to pay for a service call, etc.


This is a great point,

 

It would be like going to a store that you have gone to for fifteen years, and even though you have been loyal, and have a good relationship with the employees, you say to them "Well, I have been shopping with you for fifteen years, I think I am entitled to the same costs for items and services that you offered when I was a customer in 2001.

 

The problem is that, if any business offered that type of loyalty, they would not be able to make money on their products and services, and would face substantial loses.  It's inflation, and the rising costs of programing, especially sports channel providers, that cause these rate increases with these million to hundred million dollar contracts that these athletes get each year.  Companies would like to consider ala-carte pricing for ESPN and its sister channels.  The problem is that all these companies (Cable, Dish, U-Verse) ALSO have to pay the provider fees to get their services on the system.  Disney, which owns ESPN/ABC refuses to break up their ESPN set, allowing for only a very small amount of stations on the Sports Pass Package.  Customers have to take the massive sports fees, regardless of company, whether they are sports fans or not.

 

My take is, while it is unrealistic to have existing customers return to fifteen year old price, or totally new discounts, I think most of us want to be able to call customer retention and get some kind of compensation for loyalty and patronize to the company, without having to get into a battle of dealing.  Subs who have been with the company for a long time, should not have to "battle" each year to get their rates down, say $15 or something, based on service level.

 

Satch

Spectrum Employee

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION

You can avoid those Sports Broadcast fees....if you only pay for Basic cable. I could go on and on about rising costs but whats the point? You will always have customers that want more for less, that aren't willing to lose anything they have, but pay less than they were paying. What most people don't understand is 90% of them are already receiving discounted rates. There are not very many people that actually pay the Retail rate of their service. There is a Triple Play package available to new customers that I believe includes 1 cable box, Preferred TV, Epix movie channel, Ultimate internet, and Home Phone national (which by the way, lets you call like 43 other countries). That package I BELIEVE is $109.99 not including a modem lease fee, everything else should be included. What they don't know is that the same level of internet they are receiving in that Bundle, at a retail rate is 109.99/mo on its own. But again, it doesn't matter because that $109.99 bundle is already too much in the eyes of many customers, but they don't want to give up anything they are already getting to get a lower price. Its a vicious circle.


I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Newcomer

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION

[ Edited ]

my bill is $184.61 a month, but wait, here's what i get for that extravagant fee: 15 mpbs, basic cable w/Bravo, etc (not HBO, STARZ, etc), and phone w/o VM (who needs that??). When i first ordered at $100/mo a couple of years ago i was told phone didn't affect the cost. Hmmm, and now i'm paying this ridiculous amount so i called to get a discount. Nope, all they had was $119 with movie channels (CAN YOU HEAR ME TWC, I DON'T WANT MOVIE CHANNELS??!!!), DVR (I DON'T WANT THIS EITHER!!!!), phone (does it still cost nothing??!!) and 30 mpbs. OR i could get a plan with all 3 + 6 mpbs. That's it. BUH BYE TWC, you suck at customer retention.

Valued Contributor

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION


POdfurreal wrote:

my bill is $184.61 a month, but wait, here's what i get for that extravagant fee: 15 mpbs, basic cable w/Bravo, etc (not HBO, STARZ, etc), and phone w/o VM (who needs that??). When i first ordered at $100/mo a couple of years ago i was told phone didn't affect the cost. Hmmm, and now i'm paying this ridiculous amount so i called to get a discount. Nope, all they had was $119 with movie channels (CAN YOU HEAR ME TWC, I DON'T WANT MOVIE CHANNELS??!!!), DVR (I DON'T WANT THIS EITHER!!!!), phone (does it still cost nothing??!!) and 30 mpbs. OR i could get a plan with all 3 + 6 mpbs. That's it. BUH BYE TWC, you suck at customer retention.


Prices "a couple of years ago" don't apply TODAY. You can't have everything for a reduced price and expect to keep it at a reduced price. Example: You don't go into the store and ask the cashier to ring up your favorite bag of chips for the price you paid 4 years ago instead of the retail rate [stores DO offer 'special pricing' for that bag of chips for a LIMITED TIME and then they go back to retail rate]. A store would simply lose money if they did that; the same applies here with TWC. TWC all ready pays out the rear end for the right to even broadcast the channels you currently receive. Customers are offered a special price, then over time the specialty pricing goes away, you have to deal with it and I have to deal with it. So you can either deal with it, or do what you are going to do anyway, cancel. But be warned, you WILL suffer the same problems as you did with TWC, you get a promo rate and then it goes UP and unfortunately for most providers you'll be locked into a "commitment" agreement that forces you to pay for retail rates after the second or third year lest you suffer their ETF.

 

 

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION

Just had our 7 digital converter boxes installed on our TVs. We now have a small box that needs a plug and another remote that is difficult to program to work the TVs. More wires, more headaches and another year it will add an additional cost to my bill and bringing it up to around $200/mo. All of this to watch the exact same programming I was getting for free. It offers me no more channels, no more services, no more anything, So the same cable I was getting for free is now going to cost me an addtional $22.75 a month. Ridiculous! On top of that we cant buy our own equipment and avoid this "rental" payment. We have been TWC customers for 16 years and I am afraid we are going to have to go elsewhere. Direct TV offers one DVR box that you can watch wirelessly on every other TV in the house. It'd be nice if these digital converter boxes at least did that. TWC you are not making this easy. You are forcing our hand and it won't go in your favor unless changes are made. Our prices continually go up and we are't getting any more services for the price. 

Trusted Helper

Re: TWC needs to work on RETENTION

[ Edited ]

anon2020 wrote:

POdfurreal wrote:

my bill is $184.61 a month, but wait, here's what i get for that extravagant fee: 15 mpbs, basic cable w/Bravo, etc (not HBO, STARZ, etc), and phone w/o VM (who needs that??). When i first ordered at $100/mo a couple of years ago i was told phone didn't affect the cost. Hmmm, and now i'm paying this ridiculous amount so i called to get a discount. Nope, all they had was $119 with movie channels (CAN YOU HEAR ME TWC, I DON'T WANT MOVIE CHANNELS??!!!), DVR (I DON'T WANT THIS EITHER!!!!), phone (does it still cost nothing??!!) and 30 mpbs. OR i could get a plan with all 3 + 6 mpbs. That's it. BUH BYE TWC, you suck at customer retention.


Prices "a couple of years ago" don't apply TODAY. You can't have everything for a reduced price and expect to keep it at a reduced price. Example: You don't go into the store and ask the cashier to ring up your favorite bag of chips for the price you paid 4 years ago instead of the retail rate [stores DO offer 'special pricing' for that bag of chips for a LIMITED TIME and then they go back to retail rate]. A store would simply lose money if they did that; the same applies here with TWC. TWC all ready pays out the rear end for the right to even broadcast the channels you currently receive. Customers are offered a special price, then over time the specialty pricing goes away, you have to deal with it and I have to deal with it. So you can either deal with it, or do what you are going to do anyway, cancel. But be warned, you WILL suffer the same problems as you did with TWC, you get a promo rate and then it goes UP and unfortunately for most providers you'll be locked into a "commitment" agreement that forces you to pay for retail rates after the second or third year lest you suffer their ETF.

 

 


Exactly,

 

You can always flip flop between providers, but even than, Direct TV has a one of two year contract requirement or early withdrawal termination fee.  Not to mention issues with trees that can cause problems with such programing.  With packages, you are still getting some pretty strong discounts over ala-carte pricing.

 

Many people want ala carte channels too, but the problem is that each provider would think they have the best channels and would think that the others are crap.  With ESPN owned by Disney, you could wind up paying $10 a month for just that one channel, Than programing greed from the other providers would set in, and before long, your cable TV bill just for cable TV would be $200 or more a month.

 

Perhaps a compromising solution would be for TWC to start offering smaller packages compared to what Direct TV has done.  TWC doesn't really have a price range between Starter TV, Standard TV, and Triple Play Packages.  Some providers have Silver, Gold, and Platinum Packages where you could get something like this:  (Note: The "Bronze Package" and the packages below are illustrated examples to show how TWC could benefit from more packages, providing more customer choice.  Only Triple Play to my knowledge exists for their "Cable/Phone/Internet bundles.)

 

Bronze Package- 150 Digital Channels plus Free DVR Upgrade for one year and choice of one premium channel.

 

Silver Package- 200 Digital Channels, plus Free DVR upgrade for one year and choice of two premium channels.

 

Gold Package- 250 Digital Channels, Free DVR upgrade, for one year all premium channels plus choice of high speed Internet or Phone.

 

Platinum Package- 300+ Digital Channels, Free DVR upgrade for one year, plus all premium channels, and high speed Internet and Phone. (Like Triple Play is now. But you would get all Premium Channels and Movie Pass/Sports Pass.)

 

This gives the customer a better variety of packages that allows for greater selection and value.  TWC used to have Double Play Packages, where you could combine two services like Surf and Talk or (Internet and Phone) or Watch and Talk (TV and Phone) or  Surf and Watch (TV and Internet.) What happened to those packages?  Maybe they need to go back to that, in addition to the variety of packages I talked about above.  Right now, there's nothing between Standard TV and Triple Play.  Give customers more packages from which to choose, and have it clearly defined on your webpage for ALL customers, (not just new ones.)

 

Each year, customers could trade up or down to clearer set of defined packages and services for both new and existing subscribers.  In fact, Charter is doing this now.  But is this only for new customers? See here:

 

https://www.charter.com/browse/content/packages

 

TWC needs more package options.  It would make everyone happier.

 

Satch