Spectator

TWC / SPECTRUM

Last week I contacted a representative of twc called david to see why I had been charged an extra fee on my bill I was told it was because of the digital adapter I explained that when these adapters started to be needed I was told that I could have them for two years and only be charged after that and I had not got to that two year mark yet. I asked him what  I would need to do to keep my payment under $140 a month he asked me if I could be placed on hold for a few minutes and I agreed to that after a while he came back and said he could keep my payment at $136 per month but I would loose voicezone messaging. I asked if that would be the only change and he said yes. Well yesterday I find out that not only had my tv line up had been changed and reduced to the point I no longer had epix but also a great many other channels.. I contacted TWC and asked them why this had happend and was told that it was because of a request we where supposed to have made in February which we had not done and my wife was in so many words called a liar. I asked the customer service representative what date this was supposed to have happend, i was placed on hold when she came back she said that She had got this wrong and in fact no requset of that sort had been made... I then asked why they had made changes to my account without permission from us the representative said that David from customer retention had made a mistake, I told her that I did not ask for or want these changes to be made and would she please correct this error. She said that as TWC had changed to Spectrum Thursday and that she would need to speak to a representative of Spectrum and they could correct the issue we had and would we please hold for a few minutes. I  said ok and waited I was then put thru to a SPECTRUM rep and was told that yes itbwas there mistake but that they would not do anything about it because our package was under a legacy package and because TWC had made this mistake Spectrum would not do anything. And the price would have to increase. In my opinion this is very unfair and I am being punnished for a mistake made by TWC/SPECTRUM and it should not be beyond Spectrums capability to correct this issue and take responsibility for there empoyees actions and mistakes.....

10 REPLIES
Newcomer

Re: TWC / SPECTRUM

K now that's got me scared as our area here in the north country is that we just changed to spectrum and well that are only option besides satellite  I hope things change before we change are plan etc course I find it funny u have to call and speak to SOMONE they could tell u anything

Sharer

Dan4977 wrote:

Last week I contacted a representative of twc called david to see why I had been charged an extra fee on my bill I was told it was because of the digital adapter I explained that when these adapters started to be needed I was told that I could have them for two years and only be charged after that and I had not got to that two year mark yet. I asked him what  I would need to do to keep my payment under $140 a month he asked me if I could be placed on hold for a few minutes and I agreed to that after a while he came back and said he could keep my payment at $136 per month but I would loose voicezone messaging. I asked if that would be the only change and he said yes. Well yesterday I find out that not only had my tv line up had been changed and reduced to the point I no longer had epix but also a great many other channels.. I contacted TWC and asked them why this had happend and was told that it was because of a request we where supposed to have made in February which we had not done and my wife was in so many words called a liar. I asked the customer service representative what date this was supposed to have happend, i was placed on hold when she came back she said that She had got this wrong and in fact no requset of that sort had been made... I then asked why they had made changes to my account without permission from us the representative said that David from customer retention had made a mistake, I told her that I did not ask for or want these changes to be made and would she please correct this error. She said that as TWC had changed to Spectrum Thursday and that she would need to speak to a representative of Spectrum and they could correct the issue we had and would we please hold for a few minutes. I  said ok and waited I was then put thru to a SPECTRUM rep and was told that yes itbwas there mistake but that they would not do anything about it because our package was under a legacy package and because TWC had made this mistake Spectrum would not do anything. And the price would have to increase. In my opinion this is very unfair and I am being punnished for a mistake made by TWC/SPECTRUM and it should not be beyond Spectrums capability to correct this issue and take responsibility for there empoyees actions and mistakes.....

I am sorry that you lost some programming.  The CSR failed to tell you, that once you make a change to your services, your legacy package gets migrated to a new programming package, and that once you make the change, you can never go back.  From your statement, it woudl seem that a change in your voice service will also force you out of your current legacy video subscription.

The problem with the spectrum programming lineups is that they are not one-for-one with the legacy TWC lineups, and the CSR probably didn't do a channel by channel comparison to inform you that, yes, you'd save $5 by reducing a segment of your voice programming, but you'd also lose some video programming.

If you like the channels in your package, then I recommend you do not change any part of your programming, becuase more likely than not, you will need to pay more to get everything you had previously.

In my market, DTA's were "free" for the first 12 months you had them, then you would be charged the prevailing rate, which was $1, then $2.50, then $3.25, and now $4 per month.  If you were a broadcast basic ONLY subscriber, or other qualified low-income subscriber, they were free for two years once you received them.  I say receved them, becuase that is different than when you needed them.  If you "got them early" then your clock started as compared to the analog shut-off date.

If you have a Spectrum Triple Play, you might as well investigate the following:

1.  Replacing your DTA's with Rokus to watch TV.  The Roku Express is $29 at amazon, and will work with an HDTV.  If you have old tube sets, then you'd need a Roku Express+, and that might be $5 more.  At the prevailing rates for renting DTAs and./or Cable Boxes, these will pay for themselves in less than a year of renting equipment.

2.  You can replace your voice service with Ooma.  The Ooma costs $100, and then ~$5 per month thereafter.  It conencts to your router and your home phone, and is a VoIP service.  If you save more than $10 per month by getting rid of your voice service, this might be an option, too.  You can port your existing home number to Ooma.

How many DTA's are you renting?

Community Manager

@Dan4977

I apologize for any poor experience with your services.  Unfortunately, we are not able to assist with this particular issue in this department.  We suggest that you contact us directly at 1-800-892-4357, or visit a local Spectrum Store, if you still need assistance.

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator

Expert

[ Edited ]

DTA'S NEVER WERE FREE FOR 2 YEARS, IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ONE YEAR....

THE ISSUE IS THAT THE NEXT YEAR WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 99 CENTS A MONTH, THAT'S NOW UP TO $3.25...

SPECTRUM NO LONGER RENTS OUT DTA'S , THEY HAVE REPLACED THEM WITH REAL 2 WAY CABLE BOXES. AND AT LEAST $4 A MONTH MORE...

Spectator

Well thats great you dont tell something to a customer mess up and make them pay for your mistakes. Just what i thought the answe would be....
Highlighted
Boz
Sharer

Dan4977 wrote:
Well thats great you dont tell something to a customer mess up and make them pay for your mistakes. Just what i thought the answe would be....

Ummm...yes, you DO!

If you're Spectrum, that is!

It's probably time to see if there's any decent competition that is available for your address for Internet/TV/Phone, or even just internet.  TV and home phone service are relatively easily replaced, if you have a decent internet connection.

Spectator

Well i am not saying they are what I am saying is that we were told that they were and if you say a thing keep your word I believe that these are words to live by...
Expert

I've never heard of 2 years free advertised... you probably misinterpreted the digital cutover dates that sid something like "all channels will be digital and no longer receivable on a direct connected TV on dec 31,2016, dta's will be free for a year. Then assumed they'd be free until dec 31 2017 when in reality the clock started when you got the dta's in january 2016...

They are being replaced with real cable boxes anyway, no use argueing with phone support about a couple bucks... that's simply a waste of time!

Spectator

Noa customer service rep gave me this information. I did not miss understand, miss hear, mistake, I was misinformed. ..