Highlighted
Rookie

Spectrum takes advantage of a death in the family

I went in today to transfer my deceased mother in laws account to my name.  The internet service we had was 200 down/20 up.  Well they conveniently didnt transfer the account, rather they killed the account and started it up in my name which moved me to Spectrum, dropping me down to 100/10.  Now I cannot get 200/20 as Spectrum does not offer that, however, conventiently again, they do offer 300/20, but they want a one time fee of 199.99 to flip the switch and give that to me.  Essentially they realize no one wants to move to their terrible service so they have to stoop to simmy techniques, and use it as an opportunity to try and get more money out of you.  TWC never charged me a fee to upgrade beyond their basic packages...

Im SO suprised that the customers are once again getting screwed over by another Cable Company aquizition...

Of course, they could care less, as there is no compitition they have to worry about me leave for.

2 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: Spectrum takes advantage of a death in the family

My sincere sympathy to you and your family.  I am sorry to hear that you are displeased with the process.

In most cases we would not simply change the name on an account, we would cancel the previous account and set you up with your own account, this is generally also the case when a roommate moves out or when a household is split and the account holder is moving, leaving someone else in the home that wants to maintain service.   I am sorry this has added to the 

stress you are going through dealing with the loss of your Mother-In-Law.

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Sharer

Re: Spectrum takes advantage of a death in the family

Klind wrote:

I went in today to transfer my deceased mother in laws account to my name.  The internet service we had was 200 down/20 up.  Well they conveniently didnt transfer the account, rather they killed the account and started it up in my name which moved me to Spectrum, dropping me down to 100/10.  Now I cannot get 200/20 as Spectrum does not offer that, however, conventiently again, they do offer 300/20, but they want a one time fee of 199.99 to flip the switch and give that to me.  Essentially they realize no one wants to move to their terrible service so they have to stoop to simmy techniques, and use it as an opportunity to try and get more money out of you.  TWC never charged me a fee to upgrade beyond their basic packages...

Im SO suprised that the customers are once again getting screwed over by another Cable Company aquizition...

Of course, they could care less, as there is no compitition they have to worry about me leave for.

I am sorry for your loss.

I had to purchase my grandfather's home from his estate when he passed away 20+ years ago.  The cable bill was still in his name after the transfer.  Since my father was executor and wanted to close the estate, I needed to transfer service.  I phoned TWC, and they told me what paperwork was needed in order to transfer the account.

When I visited the local TWC store to do this, they effectively cancelled my grandfather's account, and opened a new one for me, with a new account number.  It would seem the process has not changed.

It's unfortunate that you lost your legacy TWC pricing / plan, but perfhaps since you are a "new" customer, maybe you can qualify for a new customer triple-pkay pricing?