Rookie

Spectrum pricing

Just got off the phone with a Spectrum representative. Evidently in order to get the lowest internet for 14.99, you have to get government assistance or prove you are a low income household. I looked into it considering the next level up costs 69.99 per month! Are you kidding me? Are you looking to lose all your TWC customers? You've already lost my parents. You're about to lose me.

8 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Spectrum pricing

What market are you in?

Expert

They are advertising a $29.95 internet here in Ohio... I haven't caught what speed you get though... The 59.95 is for 60/6

Newcomer

I don't begrude low-income individuals from having home internet service (my friend was just able to get that option from AT&T), but when it comes to long-time middle income subscribers being forced to  personally subsidize it at the new $70 a month rate, Spectrum has another think coming.  Cancelling before the end of the month - will buy a mifi and use cellular service rather than donate to Spectrum.

Expert

The 14.95 "deal" is gov't subsidised and only to school lunch program and SSI recipients, not to the elderly or disabled.... Spectrum is still getting their money and giving no breaks...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

The 14.95 "deal" is gov't subsidised and only to school lunch program and SSI recipients, not to the elderly or disabled.... Spectrum is still getting their money and giving no breaks...

The $14.99 / month "deal" is a hold-over from Time Warner Cable.

The NYS attorney general required that Spectrum continue to offer it for three years to residents of New York State as a condition of the merger.

Ironically, in my market the "Reduced Rate" Internet, which is available to three classes (school lunch, disabled, and elderly) actually costs twice as much, but is 30 Mbps, I beleive.

Valued Contributor

moemoe wrote:

I don't begrude low-income individuals from having home internet service (my friend was just able to get that option from AT&T), but when it comes to long-time middle income subscribers being forced to  personally subsidize it at the new $70 a month rate, Spectrum has another think coming.  Cancelling before the end of the month - will buy a mifi and use cellular service rather than donate to Spectrum.

Cable companies know the money is to be made with transporting data, not video, so they are adjusting accordingly.

I agree it would be nice to have some lower cost / lower speed options on the table, but if/when my ELP goes away, I will need to rethink how I watch TV.

Expert

[ Edited ]

MsRaye wrote:

They are advertising a $29.95 internet here in Ohio... I haven't caught what speed you get though... The 59.95 is for 60/6

The $29.95 is for 16/1 service from what I heard on the last commercial today.   I'm paying $59 for 15/1 and getting a pretty consistent 17-18 megs down...

so it's probably what they're claiming is 16/1

I would like to find something in writing...

Rookie

I suspect they want to change their business model from providing intenet service to sell used router. Anyway, my rate went up since they merged twc from $70 -> $85 -> $99, and now $104. I am done with them.