Helper

Spectrum base internet in NYS is 100

I was wondering what the base speed for New York state would be, they introduced Spectrum plans statewide today, and indeed the base speed is 100Mb/S for their standard plan., I was curios as to same because they promised 100Mb/s statewide by 2018, then thre was an announcement that all of NYS would have digital broadband in their areas by Spring. Good news.

9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Spectrum base internet in NYS is 100

That is probably not correct, there is now a TVad selling a low speed starter  tier  by spectrum for $29.95 a month. In Ohio I believe it's 10/1

same ad sells the unlimited phone for $19.95 a month.

In general, speeds are 60 mbps and 100 mbps down. As for future upgrades, we do not have any further information available.

<insert favorite quote here...>

Check out the FAQs for a quick answer to your questions. http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/all-faqs.html
Helper

[ Edited ]

Call   up   Spectrum give them any address for NYS as a new customer I can assure you, its 100 Mbs/  because of prervious merger agreement and continued talks with state PSC and NY Broadband program.      They made agreements with NYS specifically and seem to be honoring, this a the positive of having a decent state regulator rather than a weak one, NY got concessions.. 15 dollar internet is availabe as well.      

Tlhis does not apply to Colombia County since they are still on a one way pipe(true story).                           

Expert

That is also not the $29.95 a month economy internet that they're offering...

Helper

[ Edited ]

Correct I believe that is the education reduced price lunch offering I think it at 30Mb/s (might be wrong on exact speed, they re supposed to contune everyday low price internet of 14.99 3/1? as well, I cannot find a retail rate card, even for NYC, but I did check today as a new customer upstate Standard speed is 100(because of merger conditions)

Having said this anyone in a promo,  leave it be,  it's probably still a better deal, and they have to honor it..  its fascinating someone who got a TW promo yesterday as a new customer got a locked in price.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

jhf5 wrote:

Correct I believe that is the education reduced price lunch offering I think it at 30Mb/s (might be wrong on exact speed, they re supposed to contune everyday low price internet of 14.99 3/1? as well, I cannot find a retail rate card, even for NYC, but I did check today as a new customer upstate Standard speed is 100(because of merger conditions)

I am in Sullivan County, and have ELP (3 down/ 1 up)  at $14.99 / mo.  It is not a promotional rate, and I beleive they are required to offer it in NYS for three years after the merger.

They've been moving rate cards around like I am playing three-card monty outside of Penn Station...

The rate card for my market (Both TWC and Spectrum), list ELP at 14.99 per month.

The TWC card still lists Basic (49.99), Standard (59.99), Turbo Upgrade (10.00), Extreme Upgrade (20.00), and Ultimate Upgrade (50.00) which the "upgrade" price being added to Standard.

The Spectrum rate card lists Spectrum Internet (59.99) and Internet Ultra (99.99).  Wifi is a $5 add on.

The Broadband disclosure rate card (which seems universal) does NOT list ELP.  But it lists both 60/4 and 100/5 at $64.99;  $53.99 with Spectrum TV; and $69.99 with WiFi.  So they'll give you a $8 / mo discount with a TV package, and charge you $5 extra for their WiFi modem/router.

Helper

dstoffa wrote:

jhf5 wrote:

I am in Sullivan County, and have ELP (3 down/ 1 up)  at $14.99 / mo.  It is not a promotional rate, and I beleive they are required to offer it in NYS for three years after the merger.

They've been moving rate cards around like I am playing three-card monty outside of Penn Station...

The rate card for my market (Both TWC and Spectrum), list ELP at 14.99 per month.

The TWC card still lists Basic (49.99), Standard (59.99), Turbo Upgrade (10.00), Extreme Upgrade (20.00), and Ultimate Upgrade (50.00) which the "upgrade" price being added to Standard.

The Spectrum rate card lists Spectrum Internet (59.99) and Internet Ultra (99.99).  Wifi is a $5 add on.

The Broadband disclosure rate card (which seems universal) does NOT list ELP.  But it lists both 60/4 and 100/5 at $64.99;  $53.99 with Spectrum TV; and $69.99 with WiFi.  So they'll give you a $8 / mo discount with a TV package, and charge you $5 extra for their WiFi modem/router.

Yes, NYSPSC requires them to continue ELP internet as TWC legacy AND as the new company for a set period, rate cards I don't give them heed, right now, I tried signing up as new customer upstate (Not Rochester) and they only offered 100Mb/s so that is good news for Spectrum customerr or those who change plans, but I would not jump out of a promo to get a little speed that people do not need or use.

How does ELP work if I may ask, how does it do with video such as You Tube?

Cheers.

Sharer

That depends on the video.  Low-res videos come through fine (my father-in-law has ELP Internet), but standard or high-res videos drop some frames.  ELP Internet is fine for some people, especially the e-mail and web browsing single-user types, but full-frame streaming of HD video needs about twice the ELP downstream for good results.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

jhf5 wrote:

Cheers.

I can't say I watch much You Tube, but I am able to do the following with my ELP internet.

1.  I can VPN into the desktop PC at my office w/ my company laptop over the wifi (54g) from my old router.  I don't get stuttering issues, and I am not warned about a "slow" connection - meaning I get sound and wallpaper on the virtual desktop over the VPN.

2.  I can watch Netflix on my 720p 32" HD set that is now (yikes) 10 years old via a Roku.  This Roku is hard wired, not Wifi.

3.  I can watch Amazon Prime video on the same set.

4.  I can use the Rokus on sets without a DTAs to watch live television programming.

Granted, I am one user, and am NOT using all these services simultaneously.  If I had three teenagers in the house, I am sure my performance would NOT be as satisfactory.

When I "downgraded" from Lite to ELP, they were trying to upsell me.   (At the time, Lite was 1/1, ELP was 2/1, and I was paying more;  Really LIte was 3/1 at the time, but they never "upped" my speed, so speed tests showed me getting 1/1.)  I told them that the speed I have now (1/1) works, and since I wasn't on some promotion, I could simply phone them and have them change it if needed.  So I got upgraded from 1/1 to 2/1 for $10 less per month, which eventually became 3/1.

It works for me.   If you can get it (ELP), and it works for you, then that's all that matters.  Can't hurt to try.  Speed tests show I get 3 and change down, with 1 and change up.