Highlighted
Rookie

Outrageous price increase

I am writing to vent my frustration with TWC/Spectrum or whoever you are.

My promotion from Mar 16 to Mar 17 is expiring  and when I got the latest bill, my monthly rate was set to inflate 24%, or an extra $400 per year.  My service just includes a phone, basic internet, DVR and Starz with me buying my own modem last year to save money.

I spoke to a TWC rep about 10 days ago and after a 10 minute wait for her to look at pricing, promos, etc. , she came back and stated it best to call back the weekend of 3/18 as then Spectrum would be offering better deals.

So I called back on Sun, 3/19 and that rep stated that Spectrum offers no promos, price breaks, etc, and that my bill would be $10 MORE than what my invoice stated.  What a deal!

Today I ended up going to a TWC/Specrtrum location to help me figure things out.  Believe me, no one there behind the counter, waiting in line or returning product had a happy face.

According to the rep, all she could do for me was to take off Starz and the bottom line for now as I ponder my next move is that I will be paying 13% more for the same service less Starz.  So now,  I have the privilege to pay $18 a month more AND I get less in return!  What a great concept!

We all know cable companies are losing customer with no end in sight.  The farce merger of TWC and whoever to form Spectrum was supposedly to bring stability to cable pricing, but that's never going to happen.

I know as a "valued customer", I will probably get a standard response that will go nowhere, but for now it feels good to vent my frustrations.

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Outrageous price increase

to get Starz, you probably need a couple tiers of TV channels, Unknown what speed internet service you're paying for.  Unknown if switching to Spectrum will give you a better price than the original new customer promo you were on.. And yes a 25% increase after the promo period is normal.

What is the new bill? around $200 a month? Seems like the Spectrum plan s/b around 130 a month but that's probably for new customers.

Sharer

fsnyder wrote:

I am writing to vent my frustration with TWC/Spectrum or whoever you are.

My promotion from Mar 16 to Mar 17 is expiring  and when I got the latest bill, my monthly rate was set to inflate 24%, or an extra $400 per year.  My service just includes a phone, basic internet, DVR and Starz with me buying my own modem last year to save money.

I spoke to a TWC rep about 10 days ago and after a 10 minute wait for her to look at pricing, promos, etc. , she came back and stated it best to call back the weekend of 3/18 as then Spectrum would be offering better deals.

So I called back on Sun, 3/19 and that rep stated that Spectrum offers no promos, price breaks, etc, and that my bill would be $10 MORE than what my invoice stated.  What a deal!

Today I ended up going to a TWC/Specrtrum location to help me figure things out.  Believe me, no one there behind the counter, waiting in line or returning product had a happy face.

According to the rep, all she could do for me was to take off Starz and the bottom line for now as I ponder my next move is that I will be paying 13% more for the same service less Starz.  So now,  I have the privilege to pay $18 a month more AND I get less in return!  What a great concept!

We all know cable companies are losing customer with no end in sight.  The farce merger of TWC and whoever to form Spectrum was supposedly to bring stability to cable pricing, but that's never going to happen.

I know as a "valued customer", I will probably get a standard response that will go nowhere, but for now it feels good to vent my frustrations.

SWAG price is ~$125 per month for new subs on a triple play, and about $175 per month for those outside a promo.  This includes two boxes.

Use this as your gauge.  You can do better by just subscribing to Spectrum for Internet, and getting an Ooma for telophone service and subscribing to SlingTV for major pay TV channels.  You can use an antenna for OTA.  If you cannot get good reception, then you'll need to pay ~$30 per month for Bradcast channels.

So after buying an Ooma Telo ($100), Roku (Free w/ 3 months of SlingTV), your cost would be $60 / mo for intenet, $5 / mo for voice, $25 / mo for SlingTV.  You could build your own triple play for less than $100 / month.  If you need to do cable for Braodcasat Basic, then you need to add $30, which brings it to $120/mo.

This stuff isn't cheap anymore....

Rookie

Thanks for your reply.

Starz was a throw-in from last year's promo.  Internet speed is just the standard speed.  The ugly thing about Spectrum now is that when I called this weekend knowing TWC was switching to Spectrum, the Spectrum rep gave me a price $10 HIGHER than TWC (and that is with no service additions, just phone,internet, cable and a DVR).

My point is I am getting less services now than last year for an extra $18 per month upcharge.  Not good.

Sharer

fsnyder wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Starz was a throw-in from last year's promo.  Internet speed is just the standard speed.  The ugly thing about Spectrum now is that when I called this weekend knowing TWC was switching to Spectrum, the Spectrum rep gave me a price $10 HIGHER than TWC (and that is with no service additions, just phone,internet, cable and a DVR).

My point is I am getting less services now than last year for an extra $18 per month upcharge.  Not good.

While Spectrum's video packages seem to offer more value (the silver and gold appear to discount premiums over the a-la-carte rate), their rates for internet (almost nothing under $60 / mo) and DVR service more than negate the better price for the video programming.

They know the future is in data, and are pricing accordingly.

Participant

I always thought when there was a price increase the provider by law has to notify all customers.

Sharer

rtv72 wrote:

I always thought when there was a price increase the provider by law has to notify all customers.

And they do, typically in writing on the bill sent the month BEFORE the increase.

If you are on paperless billing / autopay, you'll probably not notice (unless you download your bill and read each month).

I do not know if they are required to inform you if your promotional rate is up, becuase in reality, it's not a rate increase, but a discountinuation of discount...