Rookie

Online Program Listing Has Been Wrong Twice This Week

I use the online local listings (for zip code 12189) since the on-screen guide is difficult to see clearly & use to look ahead.   Twice in the past week, I've missed shows because the online guide said one thing & the program broadcast was different.  Tonight, I checked the online guide for TNT "Major Crimes"at 7PM;  the new episode was listed for Channel 27 at 9PM & 10PM.  When I changed the channel to view the show at 10PM tonight, it was showing "Bad Behavior" instead.  When i went back & looked, the lisitng had changed.  Additionally, within the past week, I looked up another show that I watch regularly -- but the guide listed a sports event.  Instead, when I tuned to that cable channel at the end of the hour, it was showing the last 2 minutes of the show I originally wanted to see.  I haven't had these kinds of program listing errors until this month -- now that Spectrum has started managing the TWC operation here.  I doubt that it's the broadcasters making changes all of a sudden.

4 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Online Program Listing Has Been Wrong Twice This Week

squeakie42 wrote:

I use the online local listings (for zip code 12189) since the on-screen guide is difficult to see clearly & use to look ahead.   Twice in the past week, I've missed shows because the online guide said one thing & the program broadcast was different.  Tonight, I checked the online guide for TNT "Major Crimes"at 7PM;  the new episode was listed for Channel 27 at 9PM & 10PM.  When I changed the channel to view the show at 10PM tonight, it was showing "Bad Behavior" instead.  When i went back & looked, the lisitng had changed. 

=================

When that happens, it is usually because someone mixed up a satellite feed, or the network made  a change..  IF it was the network, there is nothing anyone could do to fix it.

Major crimes is being broadcast now on TNT (9pm west coast), I just checked it.

Lead Moderator

I am sorry to hear you have experienced this recently and for the frustration this has caused for you. Our program guide is received several weeks in advance. Unfortunately if the broadcasting channel changes the programming slots after this information is programmed into the guide changes will not be made to reflect their change in schedule. 

I encourage you to check our On Demand here in the next few days to catch

the episodes of your shows. You may also be able to watch them on the broadcasters

website or application.

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Sharer

squeakie42 wrote:

I use the online local listings (for zip code 12189) since the on-screen guide is difficult to see clearly & use to look ahead.   Twice in the past week, I've missed shows because the online guide said one thing & the program broadcast was different.  Tonight, I checked the online guide for TNT "Major Crimes"at 7PM;  the new episode was listed for Channel 27 at 9PM & 10PM.  When I changed the channel to view the show at 10PM tonight, it was showing "Bad Behavior" instead.  When i went back & looked, the lisitng had changed.  Additionally, within the past week, I looked up another show that I watch regularly -- but the guide listed a sports event.  Instead, when I tuned to that cable channel at the end of the hour, it was showing the last 2 minutes of the show I originally wanted to see.  I haven't had these kinds of program listing errors until this month -- now that Spectrum has started managing the TWC operation here.  I doubt that it's the broadcasters making changes all of a sudden.

Many parties are at fault, actually.  There are quite a few steps involved in getting guide data to your DVR / STB / Device.

1.  There are media companies (say, Tribune Media Services - which is now Gracenote; it copuld be someone else), who compile scheduling data from the various broadcasters and compile it by zip code and provider.  If you go to zap2it.com, and select your zip code, you will see the type of information this media company provides.

2.  TWC / Spectrum subscribes / pays a license for this data for their system.

3.  TWC / Spectrum pushes this data to your DVR / STB.  Tivo and ReplayTV (when they were in business and provided an Electronic Program Guide) operated the same way.  Actually, a portion of the Tivo / ReplayTV subscription fee went to pay for the EPG.

So, if the broadcaster decides to change their schedule, the following events need to occur before the change will be reflected in your device:

1.  The broadcaster needs to advise the Media Company.

2.  The Media Company needs to recompile all the impacted Guides.

3.  The Media COmpany needs to push this data out to all of their subscribers (TWC / Spectum)

4.  TWC / Spectrum needs to push this data out to your device.

These events don't happen simultaneously.   The media company may only push data out once every 24 hours.  Your device may only fetch data once every 24 hours.  And if one doesn't happen in sequence, it could be almost 48 hours until the change is reflected in your device.

Thanks to the Heidi Game, all television networks are contracted broadcast live sporting events until their conclusion, which pushes the schedules of tv show start times to the right.  Look at the CBS lineup on Sunday nights after football, or this month, after NCAA games.  Shows start anywhere from 30-45 minutes after scheduled start times, and your DVR won't know the difference.  Networks typically do not shedule enough slop to accommodate live sporting events, although FOX has gotten better with it on Sunday nights in recent years...

West coast feeds of programming are delayed three hours, so aren't subject to slip due to sporting events.

Expert

Complain to/about Tribune media services/Gracenote who are the guid publishers as well as the program channel owner. Someone changed the time slots after the weeks guide was published.