Newcomer

Charter Charging Bogus $200 'Upgrade Fee

Taken from https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31372833-BHN-Does-it-really-cost-199-to-upgrade-internet-to-300Mbi...

[BHN] Does it really cost $199 to upgrade internet to 300Mbits?
Hi everyone. I'm in Bakersfield, CA, and was interested in upgrading the internet here to the top tier speed which I believe is 300/20. Currently, we have an internet and phone bundle, paying around $55 per month. I thought upgrading from our current internet speed of 60/5 to 300/20 would cost $40 more per month, which I've got no issue with. However yesterday when I called to try and do the upgrade, I was told there was a $199.99 activation fee, and that my modem would need to be replaced! I refuse to believe that my modem needs replacing, as it was just replaced back in December when we got phone service. I've got an Arris TG1682 I believe it is, which I'm sure can support 300/20 speeds with no issue. When I called back a second time to try and get someone to simply perform the upgrade, I was still told there was a $199.99 activation fee even with my existing equipment! Has anyone successfully performed this upgrade, and did you have to pay $200 just to upgrade even if you didn't need a new modem? I'd really like to do this upgrade to our internet, and I know for a fact I shouldn't need the modem replaced. In fact, a technician shouldn't even have to come out at all for this process. So what's the point of this $199.99 activation fee? I'm not setting up new service, just upgrading existing service. I'm hoping I can get this upgrade done without paying $200 for the chance to improve our internet experience. Thanks for any responses.

3 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Charter Charging Bogus $200 'Upgrade Fee

Yamboo31 wrote:

Taken from https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31372833-BHN-Does-it-really-cost-199-to-upgrade-internet-to-300Mbi...

[BHN] Does it really cost $199 to upgrade internet to 300Mbits?
Hi everyone. I'm in Bakersfield, CA, and was interested in upgrading the internet here to the top tier speed which I believe is 300/20. Currently, we have an internet and phone bundle, paying around $55 per month. I thought upgrading from our current internet speed of 60/5 to 300/20 would cost $40 more per month, which I've got no issue with. However yesterday when I called to try and do the upgrade, I was told there was a $199.99 activation fee, and that my modem would need to be replaced! I refuse to believe that my modem needs replacing, as it was just replaced back in December when we got phone service. I've got an Arris TG1682 I believe it is, which I'm sure can support 300/20 speeds with no issue. When I called back a second time to try and get someone to simply perform the upgrade, I was still told there was a $199.99 activation fee even with my existing equipment! Has anyone successfully performed this upgrade, and did you have to pay $200 just to upgrade even if you didn't need a new modem? I'd really like to do this upgrade to our internet, and I know for a fact I shouldn't need the modem replaced. In fact, a technician shouldn't even have to come out at all for this process. So what's the point of this $199.99 activation fee? I'm not setting up new service, just upgrading existing service. I'm hoping I can get this upgrade done without paying $200 for the chance to improve our internet experience. Thanks for any responses.

I am certain they are charging you in advance for any wiring issues, truck rolls, and troublshooting to make certain you can acutally connect at that speed.  There might also be some work required on the head end / infrastructure that they might not want to perform for free at this time. 

Expert

You don't need 300/20 unlessyou're streaming video to 15 different tv's at the same time.

Gaming will be way worst as the speed comes in erratic bursts  creating a wide range of ping/ packet jitter.

Are you sure your area actually has 300/20 available?

Highlighted
Participant

This is for anything beyond the 'Standard' tier, they we're trying to bend me over for this just to go from my current 60 to 100, which at that point was the highest available here.