Newcomer

Changes in billing

My husband and I are retirees who depend on social security to pay our bills. Because my husband is unwell and housebound, he depends on his internet, phone and TV to connect him with the world. Twc was cooperative in working with scheduling our bill payment with social security payments! That disappeared with Spectrum! We pay almost $200 per month for our bundle. They no longer work with us. Pay on their date or they dissconnect! And it happened on 1/24 with no warning! So inconsiderate and cruel! I would never recommend this service to anyone!!! They DO NOT care a fig about their customers!!! We pay $2300 a year to a company that treats us like dirt!!!

8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Changes in billing

Boz wrote:

Wow!  $200/mo seems like a very high bill for someone on a fixed income!  What pricing does the competition that serves your address offer?  Is there good internet at a reasonable price available from another provider?  Lower priced internet TV services, such as Sling, Vue, and DirecTV Now, combined with Netflix, Hulu, etc., are possible cable TV replacements.  Home phone service can be replaced by Ooma or Google Voice+an Obihai device or even a cellular based home phone service.

I agree.  You can do a lot better . 

You can lower your price by subscribing to Sprectrum for Internet Only, at $60/month.

You can add a SlingTV package for $20 or $25 per month.  (They will give you a free Roku for connecting to your TV if you pre-pay for 3 months, but I'd recommend getting half-off their better player so you can hard-wire the ethernet connection.  The Roku will also do Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services, too.)  You can buy an Ooma for $100, then pay $5 / mo going forward for phone service.

You may need to buy some equipment up fornt, like a good router and the Ooma Telo, but that will set you back ~$200 only once.  So after your initial outlay:

Spectrum Internet:  $60 / mo

SlingTV Blue:  $25 / mo

Ooma:  $5 / mo

and if you can get your major boradcast networks with your antenna, you are good to go for under $100 per month, and that is no bundle nor a promotional price.

Community Manager

@Elenasstar

I apologize for any poor experience.  We are unable to assist with pricing in this department. If you are looking to change your current package/pricing, we would recommend you to call in to 1-800-892-4357.

James M.
Social Media Customer Care
Community Forums Moderator

I have notice the changes with billing and I am not happy. Sense Spectrum came on they dont care about the low income familys or familys that live pay check to paycheck. Yes i understand my payments was late but I paid unlike people who get free stuff. So i talk to chat about 4 days ago due to service off and they tell me to pay 187. Said i cant right now have to wait. So they said ok and no payment arrangements what. At least when it was Time Warner they worked with me. So today I get on chat to pay 187 and now tell me over 300 what i dont have that kind of money. Oh wait yes of i dont feed my family or other bills. Yes Spectrum guess you dont care about losing one little customer. But i am very unhappy that i wasnt told my bill amout will change in a matter of 4 days.
Established Sharer

NathanJaime0623 wrote:
I have notice the changes with billing and I am not happy. Sense Spectrum came on they dont care about the low income familys or familys that live pay check to paycheck. Yes i understand my payments was late but I paid unlike people who get free stuff. So i talk to chat about 4 days ago due to service off and they tell me to pay 187. Said i cant right now have to wait. So they said ok and no payment arrangements what. At least when it was Time Warner they worked with me. So today I get on chat to pay 187 and now tell me over 300 what i dont have that kind of money. Oh wait yes of i dont feed my family or other bills. Yes Spectrum guess you dont care about losing one little customer. But i am very unhappy that i wasnt told my bill amout will change in a matter of 4 days.

Well, when you subscribe to Cable Television, you essentially pay for the NEXT month.  If the billing model were different (i.e. - you pay for the current month or the month that just passed), and you refuse to pay, they cannot reposess the programming you watch, the bandwidth you used, or phone calls you made).

The cable company is not a financing company, they are a merchant.

When I was in college, Con Ed didn't care that I had to buy books that month.  All they wanted was for me to pay my electric bill, or they'd turn the lights off.  Oh yeah, they didn't care, and wanted me to pay an extra month security deposit, too.

$187 seems to be a lot for a famiy that is having trouble making ends meet.  Why not reduce your level of service to Braodcast Basic (or ditch video all together), get an Ooma for your landline,  and just use the cable company for internet?

Boz
Sharer

NathanJaime0623 wrote:

If you don't have the money to pay a large cable bill on time every month, and/or if Spectrum isn't willing to take continually late payments like TWC was, you'll need to make changes.  See my post and dstoffa's post above for some ideas.

Helper

Are you in New York state, if so there are some real options for cutting that price way down,

you might consider a voip like vonage,  provider for wired telephone,  Spectrum does not advertise it but they do have a lifeline package for television in some states very basic locals,

As for the telephone,l again some states do not allow them to shut off the telephone party until the phone is thirty days past due.

Cheers, Good luck.

Seasoned Contributor

Well, when you subscribe to Cable Television, you essentially pay for the NEXT month.  If the billing model were different (i.e. - you pay for the current month or the month that just passed), and you refuse to pay, they cannot reposess the programming you watch, the bandwidth you used, or phone calls you made).

You seem to run all around these forums trying to disprove or counter anything people say.  Try biting your tongue and developing some compassion. My  electric company and gas company don't require me to prepay for service and they don't worry about taking back  their service. Its a price of doing business. Truly cable companies enjoy a luxury that most companies don't.

As for your second statement it really doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know of many companies that don't offer financing or terms when their bills can be large .  Whose ever accused the cable industry of having bargain rates? In fact the business model seems to be squeezing customers for every penny they can especially if there is little competition.

Plus always remember the first rule of politics. Don't argue against what you eventually  may need or benefit from. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Achilles77 wrote:

You seem to run all around these forums trying to disprove or counter anything people say.  Try biting your tongue and developing some compassion. My  electric company and gas company don't require me to prepay for service and they don't worry about taking back  their service. Its a price of doing business. Truly cable companies enjoy a luxury that most companies don't.

As for your second statement it really doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know of many companies that don't offer financing or terms when their bills can be large .  Whose ever accused the cable industry of having bargain rates? In fact the business model seems to be squeezing customers for every penny they can especially if there is little competition.

Plus always remember the first rule of politics. Don't argue against what you eventually  may need or benefit from. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

There is nothing for me to prove.  I am simply not going to award a trophy for a person who cannot pay their recurring bill on time, in full, each month, just because, in this case, the cable company charges what is seen as an unfair high price.

Paying installments or working with a service provider for a product is one thing if it is not a recurring cost.  I can work with my roofer on a payment plan instead of paying him a lump sum for his service since, hopefully, I won't be putting a new roof on my home every month.  Your Cable Bill is a recurring cost.  If your bill is $200 per month, and you only pay $150, then you have a remaining balance of $50.  Next month, you pay a late fee (for arguments sake) of $5, so your balance is now $55, plus another $200, bringing the balance to $255.  But you can still only pay $150.  So you do, and now your outstanding balance is $105.  You will never be square with the cable company unless you pay your balance in full, and all back monies owed.  We can pretty much agree that the bill for a cable service will certainly never go down, so again, if one cannot make current payments, no amount of negotiating will permit the consumer from getting ahead if he continues to consume at the rate which he cannot afford.

Now, from the cable company's perspective, you have consumed a product (the television you watch, the bandwidth you consumed, and/or the phone calls you have made).  They cannot send a man to reposses those things (watched programs, phone calls made, internet used) like an auto financing company can (send a Repo Man with a tow truck to take it away).  All they can do is pull the plug, and put a lien on your credit report, and eventually send your account to a collection agency.  All that does is hurt your credit score and make it more difficult to open revolving lines of credit elsewhere (such as with the electric company, the gas company, etc.).  Auto FInance companies build-in the costs of repossessing by charging an interest rate based on your credit score and credit worthiness.  Cable companies (and most utility companies, for that matter), aren't financial institutions.  They don't "build-in" a fee for those with poor credit scores.  I can only imagine the public outrage if the price you are charged for a cable service is a function of your fico score.

I put things in persepective.  I was brought up to beleive that if you consume a service, you pay for it as agreed upon.  If life takes a turn, I cancel or reduce the the consumed product, and work out a payment plan to repay my outstanding debt.  But as I've posted elsewhere, I pay by utility bills with a credit card, which I do pay for in full every month.  And if there came a time when I couldn't make the full payment, I'd begin carrying a balance on my credit card, and paying interest.  It would then be on me to lower my consumption and eventually pay off that debt, now on the credit card.

My electric company requires me to pay for service when they send a bill.  Same for my propance company.  I pay for home heating oil when they roll the truck.  Of course they cannot "take electricity back" but they sure can disconnect  me.  When I was in college, I had cash flow issues, and my lateness paying the electric bill led the electric company to require a "one-month deposit" for them to keep the lights on, even though I made my bill current.  I assume every utility is different.  But I 'd imagine that the lower one's credit score is, the more likely some type of deposit or guarantor would be required.

There are things I will show compassion for.  Society's apparent need for cable television and internet service isn't one of them.