Observer

Re: COMPLAINT - Bill Increase

You can add me to the long list of dissatisfied customers! My monthly bill is $169.21 which includes "Surf N View" (standard TV and Extreme Internet; requires a subscription to 1 Video Tier);  TV services (Variety Pass; HD-DVR Set-Top Box and Remote; and DVR Service); and internet ("Ultimate 100 Upgrade" and internet Modem Lease). I spoke with a customer service representative on June 28, 2016 because I could no longer justify paying so much money given the limited amount of time I watch TV. The representative was helpful and polite, and she was able to lower my monthly bill to approximately $100.00 without altering my existing services. I was told that this adjustment would be reflected in the next billing cycle. On Monday, I received a statement dated July 27, 2016 in the amount of $169.21! I immediately contacted a customer service representative and gave the preceding explanation. I was told that there had not been any notations made to my account since April, 2016; no changes had been made to any of my services; and there was no record of the 10-minute phone conversation I had on June 28, 2016 during which I was promised a lower monthly rate. The customer service representative appeared to have limited knowledge of TWC's plan options; after 25 minutes she still hadn't figured out how to lower my bill in any way that would be significant to me, and I ended the conversation at that point. I need Time Warner to understand the blunt fact that I do not appreciate tactics of this nature, particularly when I have been a long-term, loyal customer who has never had a delinquent payment. I plan to discuss this matter with a manager at my local Verizon store. Unless I receive the monthly rate and services that I was promised in June, I will close my TWC account and give my business to a company that values ethics and rewards customer loyalty.  

Lead Moderator

@mrscudderB22  I am sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. 

We would be happy to have this looked into for you. If you will please contact

us directly at TWC_ForumsHelp

If you will please include your account number we can get started.

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Observer

Hi Julia.

The sheer number of identical complaints on this website rules out the possibility that my experience is unique. It seems quite clear that TWC adheres to and, in fact, promotes among its customer service employees some rather unsavory business practices. These include unannounced rate changes; failing to update customer accounts to reflect service changes that were discussed and mutually agreed to by phone; and various other tactics that have been documented in overwhelming detail by other affected customers. As I stated in my original post, the solution is plain and simple: Either TWC will adjust my account to reflect the monthly service charge of $100.00 without changes to any of the current account features or I will take my business elsewhere. I will provide my account information separately at TWC ForumsHelp. Many thanks.

Participant

I agree, mrscudder.  Complaints about TWC's billing practices are all over the map.  In my case, I dread next month: when my bill is predicted to be raised by around 20% -- unless I degrade myself with extensive phone calls to TWC and beg for relief.  This has been an annual, shameful  event.  Many people don't bother and end up paying the price increases, and TWC knows that.

Observer

If it's available I your area look into Verizon Fios. If we start banning together time warner will no longer be able to take advantage of its customers. I'm from a small town so time warner is a monopoly where I live because if they are the only was providing Internet, a huge problem in itself
Newcomer

yep. encountering same experience myself after being a loyal customer. Promotions are used to increase monthly service on top of ever increasing taxes and surcharges. Went from paying under a $100 for standard tv and internet to now paying $145 after taxes and fees. They're all in it together, TWC, ATT, Verizon, and whoever else.  Yes...greedy, greedy, greedy.  They keep increasing and giving less in return.

Observer

The latest update!

I received a private message from the forums administrator asking me to provide my call-back number and a convenient time at which I could be contacted. I sent this information yesterday with the date and time I initially spoke with a TWC customer service rep. I politely suggested that TWC might use these facts to identify the person who promised me a monthly bill of roughly $100.00 and then neglected to notate my account.

Today, I received another private message informing me that my information has been forwarded for investigation. Really? What is there to possibly investigate? The situation is crystal clear: I was lied to -- twice. 

I've decided to wait until the end of this week to see what apples they can shake out of the tree. If a satisfactory resolution has not been offered by then I will go elsewhere.

Rookie

Ran into the same issue.  Rate went up and I was told to drop services.  I said fine, get rid of my phone...they told me cancelling the $49 phone package, which I don't use at all, would not result in any savings.  I would have to cut channels and get rid of my DVR....

Genius!

Observer

[ Edited ]

Of course, Verizon FIOs service is not available in my area (zip code 90035) and the only other service provider is AT&T. I would rather stick needles in my eyes before signing a contract with them. Their least expensive plan is almost as much as I'm paying now with TWC. This is a perfect example of an oligopoly: several business entities dominating an industry. It leaves the consumer with limited or no alternative choices and enables these companies to assume a "take it or leave it" attitude. One would think that the government might take an interest in forcing these commercial ISPs to either break up or widen their existing services.

ARS Technica.com ran an interesting article on June 10, 2016 entitled "How much do ISPs hate competition? They'll sue the FCC to prevent it." 

Observer

[ Edited ]
After all the issues I've had after just being a TWC customer for 5 days and reading constant problems other customers experience. I contacted my congressman and the FCC. I hope many others do the same it's nice to vent on a site like this but we all know nothing will change until the government finally stops this price gouging, intentionally misleading advertising and apparently no way to hold employees accountable for conversation with customers telephonically.