Highlighted
Sharer

Re: Why is spectrum trying to charge me $199.00 for internet activation

postmeister wrote:

"...They are charging you in advance for any truck rolls and troubleshooting which might be required for you to achieve those speeds...."

And if no such services are needed, they pocketed $199 for doing nothing.

And it is very likely that such speed is not attainable.

The New York State Attorney General is taking Spectrum to court for (allegedly) overcharging customers for speeds that are not realistically acheivable, for leasing out-of-date modems, and not updating their infrastructure to handle demand during peak (7p - 11p) hours.

I'd post a link to the complaint here, but if you Google "NYS AG Sues Spectrum" your search results should display the NYS AG's page (.ny.gov), and there is a direct link to the 87 page complaint that was filed.  It's a good read and puts much light onto the subject, from both the technology side and the business side.

Established Sharer

rrgjr63 wrote:

She told me the fastast speed in our area was 100/10.  Of course being a gamer on the weekends with my friends I was interested.  

============

Speed las LITTLE effect on gaming, latency does.  Fast speed doesn't  mean lower latency, and never will.

That PLUS the fact that they're trying to steal $200 from you should make you think twice about ANY upgrade.

Newcomer

Re: COMPLAINT - Bill Increase

I  got rid of Time Warner for my business because come to find out they already were completely gouging me, but then they went and tried to increase my bill another $20/month.  But to be fair, I did not switch before calling and chatting TWC about my price and being repeatedly told "there was nothing they could do."  So I switched my service for 5 phone lines and internet and cut my bill by a 1/3rd.    Then TWC starts calling to try and get me back, offering me the world, but I have been bitten by them before and I am staying put.  If TWC had only reduced my bill to near what I was already over-paying and met me halfway, they would still have my $300 a month.  But that wasn't good enough, they wanted $320+.  Now I pay $205 with their competition and Time Warner gets $0.

So now TWC merges with Spectrum and I just opened my personal bill to a 30% increase for $50/month more.  I chat with them about what can be done, and I am basically told I should be happy because I could be paying $260/month.  (Believe me, that is NEVER going to happen.)  And he further responds with some annoying and obviously pre-programmed, scripted answers and I get channels and numbers spit at me in a way that I can not possibly compare it to my current service.  I am reminded I get 200 channels, of which, we may watch 20.   But again I am told there is nothing they can do other than reduce my internet speed and remove premium channels.  (Incidentally, I got an e-mail on 05/01/17 from TWC that says they increased my internet speed to 60 mbps at no cost to me (Riiiight. wink, wink).     But this guy told me I have 30mbps.  So, which is it, Time Warner? When I do an internet speed test that the NYS Attorney General reccomended, my average speed is 20.88 MBPS, which is far below either level. Hmmmm.......why is that?) Then he tells me he can switch me to Spectrum.  Huh?  I thought they merged?  Anyway, that chat was a complete and total waste of my time that only agrivated me more. 

If I ran my business the way Time Warner Spectrum apparently does, valuing new customers at the expense of loyal, longterm customers, I frankly would be out of business.  New TWC customers are offered rates half of what I am paying and someone with the company 15+ years is just expected to take it?  Have they never heard that it is far cheaper to keep an existing customer than to earn a new one?  With cell phones, and smart TV's,  HD antennas, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, and Showtime Anytime, we don't need the cable company for those services anymore, we can go direct, and we will if pushed hard enough.

And to the Spectrum employing on here responding to various posts saying " You cant expect to pay the same price you paid 15 years ago just because you are a loyal, longterm customer," Yeah, I agree.  But I also do not expect to pay 2 or 3 times what someone who has never shopped there does or more than the guy 2 counties over pays for the exact same product, and I don't accept a 30% rate increase for anything as reasonable. 

Sharer

KDM302 wrote:

And to the Spectrum employing on here responding to various posts saying " You cant expect to pay the same price you paid 15 years ago just because you are a loyal, longterm customer," Yeah, I agree.  But I also do not expect to pay 2 or 3 times what someone who has never shopped there does or more than the guy 2 counties over pays for the exact same product, and I don't accept a 30% rate increase for anything as reasonable. 

I expect the video portion of my cable bill to increase about 5% per year.  I can see a 30% increase if I ever roll off a promotional rate.

That being written, I firmly believe they (cable companies) take a loss on the video portions of triple plays offered to new customers, but make it up on the internet and phone portions of the bill.  Since the profit from selling internet / phone is used to cover the losses on the video side, they end up not having the capital needed to invest in the plant.   You can probably get away with it for a while, but eventually you will NEED to repair and upgrade the infrastructure.

N/A

COMPLAINT - Bill Increase from $135 to $180 per month - account services are NO help at all.

Same here - when we first got Warner/Spectrum we asked how much it would go up once the trial period (1 year) was over & they said no more than about $20 - REALLY????  Ours increased from $135 p/month to $180 and at no time have we received any satisfactory answer other than cancel this current account  and start a "new" customer account (diff name on bill) and instead of paying $11.99 EACH for internet modem and for the TV guide boxes,  we'll pay $4.99 for the "new" ones.....I don't get it - it's an awful way to do business

and seems to be their usual bait and switch - promise a lot up  front and once they've got you - theyup the ante.  Most unhappy - but AT&T are offering a really good deal for the next 2 years ( we left them for the same reason)......maybe that's what we have to do going forward between these compnies - choose the vendor offering the best rate and cancel when the the ransom reach a  ridiculous amount.  I want to pay for TV not a car payment!!!!!

Sharer

Re: COMPLAINT - Bill Increase from $135 to $180 per month - account services are NO help at all.

kevinw wrote:

Same here - when we first got Warner/Spectrum we asked how much it would go up once the trial period (1 year) was over & they said no more than about $20 - REALLY????  Ours increased from $135 p/month to $180 and at no time have we received any satisfactory answer other than cancel this current account  and start a "new" customer account (diff name on bill) and instead of paying $11.99 EACH for internet modem and for the TV guide boxes,  we'll pay $4.99 for the "new" ones.....I don't get it - it's an awful way to do business

and seems to be their usual bait and switch - promise a lot up  front and once they've got you - theyup the ante.  Most unhappy - but AT&T are offering a really good deal for the next 2 years ( we left them for the same reason)......maybe that's what we have to do going forward between these compnies - choose the vendor offering the best rate and cancel when the the ransom reach a  ridiculous amount.  I want to pay for TV not a car payment!!!!!

What they told you when your promotion started might have been the truth if your promotion ended the very next day.  But what they didn't tell you was what the retail rates would be in a year's time.  The cost of leasing equipment, plus the retail cost of the video programming and/or internet pacakge may have gone up in that one year, making the jump to retail rates more painful, since you would be immune to increases while on the promotion.

Rookie

Yes I agree!!

Newcomer

I have been an internet customer for about 20 yrs and now that Spectrum took over my bill went from about 34.99 to about 65.00 . This is outragious . I hope the the CEO enjoy his bonuses!!!! Thanks Hal Ward

[ Edited ]
I live in Cincinnati, OH and started with TWC internet only (called Standard internet at 15/1 Mbs) in Jan 2015 at $29.99 using my own modem (I checked cached pages for that period and found the promotional rate as $34.95. I guess that includeded the modem fee), router. I thought it was supposed to go up only once after 12 months to $44.99. But then I noticed my rate went up again 5 months ago (24 months after I signed on to TWC) (but noticed only recently as I am on real autopay - never check anything Smiley Happy  ) it has gone up to $59.99. I called them and they reply that it was supposed to go up in two tiers which I cannot certainly recall of reading (and I do have fantastic memory).
I checked some 2015 cached pages and this two tier increase is mentioned only for the packages (triple play and double play) but is somewhat vague on the internet alone (no footnote; I see their term which says retail rate after 12 months).
Can anyone from Ohio, better Cincinnati, on TWC internet alone, say for definite if it is supposed to go up just once or twice? I filed a complaint with FCC, I got a phone call from a low level TWC rep and saying by looking at my bill, he concluded it is supposed to go up in two increments. Naturally I told him:
1) it is stupid to use their billing as the fact,  
2) I want to see the terms of increase in a piece of paper and
3) whatever explanation he has, I got to see  / get that in writing so that I will have things documented (And this is what FCC email says: "A response is due to the FCC no later than 30 days from today. Charter (Spectrum) will respond to you directly by postal mail.")  
but he said that is it and it looks like he hung up on me while talking.  
So, any lead would be appreciated. 
P.S. To add salt to the injury, the new Spectrum dropped the 3 or 4 internet plans TWC had and have only one now. And I am not getting that upto 100Mbs either (it is close to 20; well, that is why it is upto I guess). I am a senior citizen who just visits p___o sites and even that 15/1 speed makes me giddy at my age Smiley Happy

halward wrote:

I have been an internet customer for about 20 yrs and now that Spectrum took over my bill went from about 34.99 to about 65.00 . This is outragious . I hope the the CEO enjoy his bonuses!!!! Thanks Hal Ward