Newcomer

Why does EVERY recording get cut off?

We just switched the house from DirectTV to TWC a few months ago. 

Since the swap EVERY dvr recording cuts off 30-60 seconds early. It doesn't matter if it's a livebroadcast, a current episode or a repeat show from a decade ago. 

I know that you can change each series recording to 'over a minute' but that's not an actual solution to the problem. Is their software just that bad?

Anyone know why it does this or if there is an easy solution to an overall setting?  Otherwise I might go back to DirectTV.

22 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Why does EVERY recording get cut off?

1149poinsettia wrote:

We just switched the house from DirectTV to TWC a few months ago. 

Since the swap EVERY dvr recording cuts off 30-60 seconds early. It doesn't matter if it's a livebroadcast, a current episode or a repeat show from a decade ago. 

I know that you can change each series recording to 'over a minute' but that's not an actual solution to the problem. Is their software just that bad?

Anyone know why it does this or if there is an easy solution to an overall setting?  Otherwise I might go back to DirectTV.

My suggestion,

Go under Record Show With Options.  Pad the start time of a show by 1-2 minutes.  Pad the end of the show by 2-5 minutes, or at least 30 minutes for live  sporting events.  The networks often do not coincide with the time that an actual show begins and ends.

Satch

Established Sharer

The problem IS that the time servers are off by about 30 seconds, and it's system-wide!

But apparenly, no one AT TWC cares, and is willing to fix it.

It is OBVIOUS that it's a TWC problem, as EVERY recording, no matter what network, is affected.

Valued Participant

I've been using the DVR 3.0 since late Beta and I've had to set my DVR to record early and late the whole time. I've also missed huge chunks of a recording because the schedule and recording time didn't mesh. I missed the last 5 minutes of the last Daily Show even though the DVR was set (as always these days) to start and end recording a minute before and a minute after the scheduled event time. I have asked for a fix via the link they gave me (https://podio.com/webforms/9343913/688025) many, many times. I started complaining when I first noticed the clock on the STB (that is WAY too bright, FYI) was 40 seconds off -- based on all my other time keeping devices. That seems to have been fixed -- so at least the time on my box is right.

At this point, I have to agree with the poster(s) that seem to feel that no one at TWC cares. I certainly know that as soon as they ask me to pay for this crappy DVR 3.0 I'm dumping it! PEEEE-YOOOOO!

Trusted Helper

Bert2e wrote:

I've been using the DVR 3.0 since late Beta and I've had to set my DVR to record early and late the whole time. I've also missed huge chunks of a recording because the schedule and recording time didn't mesh. I missed the last 5 minutes of the last Daily Show even though the DVR was set (as always these days) to start and end recording a minute before and a minute after the scheduled event time. I have asked for a fix via the link they gave me (https://podio.com/webforms/9343913/688025) many, many times. I started complaining when I first noticed the clock on the STB (that is WAY too bright, FYI) was 40 seconds off -- based on all my other time keeping devices. That seems to have been fixed -- so at least the time on my box is right.

At this point, I have to agree with the poster(s) that seem to feel that no one at TWC cares. I certainly know that as soon as they ask me to pay for this crappy DVR 3.0 I'm dumping it! PEEEE-YOOOOO!

My view,

A lot of times companies are different and don't want to take the blame, often passing the buck onto the cable, Dish, or, U-Verse Provider.  I have been reading that customers have said the TWC clock data is off by about thirty seconds compared to the start of a program. 

I would suggest that you submit that the program clock on the box and guide seem to be unsychronized by about 30 seconds.  Mention that you know how to add time by adding options to a recording or series.  This always works for me.  Let them know about it at the Direct Forum.  Registration is required to post, or login with a DSL Reports Account. Maybe in a future update this time differential can be corrected.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect

Satch

Expert

For broadcast tv, This because the broadcasters have decided to run their programming up to the exact second or even start early, and load up the start time with commercials and run commercials 5 minutes before the show ends and then run the closing of the show. Before just the commercials werew cut off.

The other problem is TWC's time server to actual  video is off by 15-30 seconds at times thanks to the compression on the video and error correction that adds a frame every time there's an error as well as the uplink/ downlink times on satellite and IP based video . If you have a lot of errors, the program runs longer. Look at the signal page on your cable box/dvr.

You really need to complain to the programmers/ copyright holders and the Guide publisher- Gracenote-Tribune media services. IP streams cannot get from them to your home in the old analog NTSC video + satellite time which was around 1/2 second. I've seen our local news on antenna 10 seconds ahead of when It hits on cable, movie channels go thru a lot more hops and servers and could easily be delayed by a minute.

btw, Right now here in NEO, the clock on mycable box is 1 second off GPS time

Established Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

For broadcast tv, This because the broadcasters have decided to run their programming up to the exact second or even start early, and load up the start time with commercials and run commercials 5 minutes before the show ends and then run the closing of the show. Before just the commercials werew cut off.

The other problem is TWC's time server to actual  video is off by 15-30 seconds at times thanks to the compression on the video and error correction that adds a frame every time there's an error as well as the uplink/ downlink times on satellite and IP based video . If you have a lot of errors, the program runs longer. Look at the signal page on your cable box/dvr.

That WOULD be true IF it happened occasionally and only on some channels, but the SAME problem across EVERY SHOW ON EVERY NETWORK proves that it IS the TWC time setup that is at fault.

Valued Contributor

A discrepancy in the STB local time seems very, very odd. I finally found the 'remote key magic' and pulled up the diagnostics, my box seems to be slow by perhaps two seconds at most. 

Not sure where in TWC's infrastructure time could get off by tens of seconds, much less minutes. Today every computer I of know uses NTP ...............  uh, oh, maybe TWC has to use some hokey OpenCable standard to sync things up.

Even if the PG "time" is off, wouldn't the DVR start recording based on local time plus/minus the user specific padding?  Perhaps it's not a timekeeping issue but some software induced lag somewhere ............... .............. aHa, another Crapigator bug found!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moto DCX3200-M set top box, ODN 8.0.0
Established Sharer

The time SHOWN on the boxes is correct, the time when the broadcasts start and end IS NOT. 

Different times, and likely intentionally set differently, or somewhere in the mix is OLD equipment that doesn't set the time automatically.  NOT likely..

Expert

You're missing my point. The internet IS NOT instant there are delays on every hop that data is relayed thru.

The only solution is for the program supplier to end their program early.

Take 2 tv's, stick one on an antenna, the other on cable. Tune to a local station

the antenna one will lead the cable one by x seconds.

take 3rd on directv or dish or Uverse, it will have yet a different delay