Newcomer

Re: Why does EVERY recording get cut off?

Padding the end of a show is NOT the answer.  If your TWC DVR only does 2 shows as does mine, that means that the beginning of other shows are lopped off!    TWC SHOULD FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Established Sharer

badolebroad wrote:

Padding the end of a show is NOT the answer.  If your TWC DVR only does 2 shows as does mine, that means that the beginning of other shows are lopped off!    TWC SHOULD FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Actually, it DOES work.  Start AND end each recording 1 minute later, and you'll be within seconds of the REAL time that the shows are on, instead of the incorrect TWC time.  You won't miss anything (except maybe a few seconds) by starting a minute later.

ant
Established Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

You're missing my point. The internet IS NOT instant there are delays on every hop that data is relayed thru.

The only solution is for the program supplier to end their program early.

Take 2 tv's, stick one on an antenna, the other on cable. Tune to a local station

the antenna one will lead the cable one by x seconds.

take 3rd on directv or dish or Uverse, it will have yet a different delay

When analog was still around for analog, I noticed it was faster than digital. Smiley Sad So yeah, don't trust the times on TV. They're never accurate. I try to pad five minutes before and after if possible.

--
Ant @ The Ant Farm and Ant's Quality Foraged Links

I love all the hoops we need to jump thru to get the service we got from other providers. Hoops and excuses. Nothing more, except $$$$$.

I love all the reasons we don't get what we expect, and how we have to work around this hokey system. 

How to extend the end of a recording beyond one hour?

I am new to TWC from Directv as well and have a question: with Direct, I could extend the end of any program set to record by up to 3 hours.  With TWC, it appears the maximum extension of any recorded program is 1 hour.  Do I have that right?  As we are in the MLB post season, it appears I will not be able to see any recorded baseball game in its entirety.  Has anyone found a workaround for this?  Thank you!

ant
Established Sharer

Re: How to extend the end of a recording beyond one hour?

darby993 wrote:

I am new to TWC from Directv as well and have a question: with Direct, I could extend the end of any program set to record by up to 3 hours.  With TWC, it appears the maximum extension of any recorded program is 1 hour.  Do I have that right?  As we are in the MLB post season, it appears I will not be able to see any recorded baseball game in its entirety.  Has anyone found a workaround for this?  Thank you!

My DVR's Navigator gives me two/2 hours max(imum).

--
Highlighted
tag
N/A

It apears to me if the start time is 02:00 the recording starts at 02:00:00 but if the recording ends at 02:59 then the recording ends at 02:59:00 not 02:59:59. This causes a 1 min hole in recordings. This is a programming error and could be fixed.

ant
Established Sharer

tag wrote:

It apears to me if the start time is 02:00 the recording starts at 02:00:00 but if the recording ends at 02:59 then the recording ends at 02:59:00 not 02:59:59. This causes a 1 min hole in recordings. This is a programming error and could be fixed.

Tell the DVR to end recording a minute later then. To be really safeand if possible (no conflicts), use five minutes before and after the hour.

--
Rookie

There is a delay on cable and satellite TV. While visiting a relative, I had my nephew and niece convinced I was psychic. Watching a football game on my phone, I was two plays ahead of the cable broadcast of the same game. I was 'predicting' what would happen, type of play, the players, penalties, etc.

Padding recording times is a semi-solution at best. I can only record 2 shows at once. During prime time, I record two shows during the entire period. Frequently my recordings are on different networks, so padding the time overlaps another recording creating a conflict. Missing the last 30 to 60 seconds of a show is kind of irritating. I am not sure if there is a 100% solution. Sports are broadcast via satellite to local stations to transmit OTA. There are fewer hops involved, so OTA should lead cable and satellite providers by 3 to 40 seconds. For cable, if you live physically closer to the node, you will get your picture/audio a few milliseconds before someone further down the line. Cable transmits at the speed of light, but time lags occur because of distance, physical connections, the number of hops the signal makes between you and the provider infrastructure, and some other factors. At one time, I had a very long cable run to a part of my house. The TV in that room was just slightly behind the TV in the room closest to where the cable enters the house. It was like hearing an echo. If you want proof that this happens, call a relative in a different market area who has cable during a sports broadcast. There will be a noticeable difference. My mom is 200 miles away and sometimes she gets the signal before I do, and other times hers is behind mine. Once, during a football game where I started almost a play ahead of her, the two finally synced and then I was trailing her by over one play. Since there is nothing that can be done about that, you have to find the fun in it. I enjoyed being a psychic for a few minutes.