Newcomer

Why can't I buy my own eMTA-compatible modem/gateway?

I appreciate the fact that I don't have to pay a lease fee for my TWC-supplied eMTA for my Home Phone service.  However, to simplify things and eliminate the spaghetti of coax and Ethernet around my computer, I would like to be able to walk into a retail store or buy online my own cable modem or gateway that has built-in eMTA capability, so I don't have to pay for wi-fi in my own home (which is what TWC said if I want to use their supplied eMTA also as a cable modem and wi-fi router).  I see that these units aren't sold in stores or online to the consumer.  Is there an explanation for this, as to why it's only sold to the cable companies?  An FCC regulation?

7 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Why can't I buy my own eMTA-compatible modem/gateway?

The short answer is that you are correct, FCC regulations require that phone services be provided on a modem we supply.  That is why we waive the modem fee when it is only for phone service.  Unfortunately, if you have your own internet modem and phone service, then it requires a separate modem for the phone service.    

If you are still looking for assistance please feel free to contact TWC directly. We can be reached a number of ways.

Email: TWCable.Help@twcable.com
Twitter: @TWC_Help
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/messages/twc
Live chat: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/contact-us.html#
by phone 1-888-TWC-ABLE
Live chat via My TWC® App
or even request a callback via the My TWC® App

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

James M.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Forum Moderator

Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you own your own data modem and router, then you do not pay TWC for a modem rental fee nor do you pay them for Wi-Fi.

Expert

[ Edited ]

I also disagree with the FCC requirement as other cable companies are providing emta phone service on COAN modems...

If someone can find a Part and Subpart in the FCC R&R where this is, I'd appreciate it.

Problem is in many areas, twc has poor signal levels and can't do a 4 way split with 2 modems and 2 cable boxes.

I have 49.5 dBmv upstream here with a 2 way between by cable box and modem. An additional splitter would stick my upstream up at +52.5 which is unreliable and out of spec.

I'd have to use a bidirectional amp.

Newcomer

Moderator James, 

Forgive me, but the FCC does not in any way require a phone service to provide the modem. There are plenty of VOIP services that anyone can sign up for and you can buy a tiny 2"×3" VOIP modem on amazon for $39.99. I personally use one for my call centric service. You can add many services through that little device. 

I don’t know why TWC insists on making us customers use one; it makes for a difficult and needless cable mess. I'm sure you are repeating the company line, but it's ludicrous. 

Please don't think all of us are as uninformed as TWC thinks we are as consumers. There is a huge difference between "FCC compliant" and "FCC requires phone companies to supply" modems. 

Sorry James, but this customer /consumer likes to read and research. 

By the way, nice to see that TWC in Louisville, KY has decided that us customers were fed up with the price of the Internet and competition was coming. I'm getting an increase from my 30 mbp to 300 mbp for the same  $90.00. But I need to go get another one of TWC stupid phone modems again. Really? 

Google fiber can not come quickly enough for me. My bill will drop as well.

Expert

The voip boxes need an ethernet connection and are not a cable modem and do not connect via coax.

Cable modem rf levels are critical and in many cases can't support additional devices without the proper amplifiers installed properly.

Rookie

Kind of curious that TW dont offer an ethernet device for home phone serive, its crazy that it requires cable modem dedicated to just this function.

Expert

They don't want to pay for and manage more servers to do that routing, There are design flaws in all the existing CMTS  involving IPv4 and IPv6  as well

They have only one that works, the technicolor 8717 and people don't like it's router...