Seasoned Contributor

Why The Price Differences for HD boxes?

I'm wondering why Spectrum is charging old TWC customers $11.75 for the HD Box plus the Guide while only charging new Spectrum customers $4.99 for the HD Box and Guide. Since most group of channels require at least a set-top box it seems the price would be equal  since they're serving the exact same purpose.  Plus since all TWC  customers became new Spectrum customers ,when Charter merged with TWC, I find it peculiar they're making a distinction with equipment charges between old TWC customers and new Spectrum.  customers. Something seems rotten in Denmark.

7 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Why The Price Differences for HD boxes?

The pricing will change when you switch to a Spectrum plan from a legacy TWC plan.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Why The Price Differences for HD boxes?


Achilles77 wrote:

I'm wondering why Spectrum is charging old TWC customers $11.75 for the HD Box plus the Guide while only charging new Spectrum customers $4.99 for the HD Box and Guide. Since most group of channels require at least a set-top box it seems the price would be equal  since they're serving the exact same purpose.  Plus since all TWC  customers became new Spectrum customers ,when Charter merged with TWC, I find it peculiar they're making a distinction with equipment charges between old TWC customers and new Spectrum.  customers. Something seems rotten in Denmark.


If you haven't changed anything, you pay the old TWC price.  While it may seem liogical to switch off your legacy plan to a new Specrtum plan to lower your bill, BEWARE.  The channels you receive on your legacy plan may force you into adding a tier or two, and might actually increase your bill.

 

Also, BEWARE, that a change to a Spectrum TV plan might also force you into a new internet and/or vocie plan, which many also wipe out any savings you get...

 

You'd need to do the math, but don't take the bait without performing due diligence.  The move is one way and is NOT reversible, and the CSR on the phone, I am sure, won't be able to break it all down for you and put it in writing, and allowing you to review BEFORE making the switch.

Newcomer

Re: Why The Price Differences for HD boxes?

Greed and does anyone know what silver Tripp.e play cost and does it come with free Dvr I'm an existing Tw c that hasn't switched yet but can't find the info on it zip is3598

Established Sharer

Re: Why The Price Differences for HD boxes?


GregM1979 wrote:

Greed and does anyone know what silver Tripp.e play cost and does it come with free Dvr I'm an existing Tw c that hasn't switched yet but can't find the info on it zip is3598


You provided a 4-digit zip code.

 

That being written, full retail rates in my market are 84.99 + 59.99 + 29.99 + 6.05 for the Silver, Internt, Voice, and Broadcast Surcharge.  This DOES NOT include:

1.  Equipment (3.99 + 1.00 = $4.99) per Cable Box

2.  Home Wifi

3.  Franchise Fees

4.  Sales Tax

 

So, for one TV set, you are looking at probably $200 per month retail.  Now, if they give you a bundle discount, I can't imagine it would be more than $20 off each service after paying full freight for one.  My guess is one set, $160 per month.  And that's just a SWAG.

Seasoned Contributor

Re: Why The Price Differences for HD boxes?


reds91185 wrote:

The pricing will change when you switch to a Spectrum plan from a legacy TWC plan.


Yes, But the point I'm making is there should be no price difference. Spectrum should have adjusted the TWC customer bills downward  because all of the HD boxes are essentially fulfilling the same purpose. The interesting thing I'm finding is the new Spectrum is actually manipulating prices by quoting from three different rate tables.

Valued Participant

Re: Why The Price Differences for HD boxes?

the boxes maybe cheaper but the services themselves are a bit more so it evens out

Newcomer

Re: Why The Price Differences for HD boxes?

Well got all 3 prices and sad to say my twc legacy plan is cheaper rofl guy on the phone didn't even try to lower it tho he was very nice and all  but he didn't even try to lower my bill with a spectrum plan