Newcomer

Where to find an actual, 'How to use the bloody thing" Remote user guide.

There are dozens of documents and links to codes and charts showing how to pair a remote to a tv  but I haven't been able to find anything that can tell me how to use the remote once it is paired.

For example, how do you set up favorites and have only them show when you hit "guide" or how do you easily add/delete a channel from the list.  Or,  how can you jump ahead in 30 second increments or so, or easily set up series recording or resolve conflicts, etc. Where does anything explain all the dozen or so buttons and the A, B, C actions.  The need to know list is endless but does everything have to be learned by just fumbling around?
I'm talking about a UR5U-8780L/Samsung combo that replaced some other brand that didn't work at all. 

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Where to find an actual, 'How to use the bloody thing" Remote user guide.

@Woof wrote:

There are dozens of documents and links to codes and charts showing how to pair a remote to a tv  but I haven't been able to find anything that can tell me how to use the remote once it is paired.

For example, how do you set up favorites and have only them show when you hit "guide" or how do you easily add/delete a channel from the list.  Or,  how can you jump ahead in 30 second increments or so, or easily set up series recording or resolve conflicts, etc. Where does anything explain all the dozen or so buttons and the A, B, C actions.  The need to know list is endless but does everything have to be learned by just fumbling around?
I'm talking about a UR5U-8780L/Samsung combo that replaced some other brand that didn't work at all. 

Hello,

This task becomes harder than people think because Spectrum has different boxes that run different guides.  And buttons that do different things based on the guide softwarre loaded on the box:

Spectrum has three guides out there:

Navigator, I-Guide, and The New Spectrum Guide

I can only help with Navigator, because that is what I have at that time:

Navigator Guide-  This is the most common guide in Spectrum markets.  I will try to answer your questions with regards to this guide:

To Set up a Favorite Channel List- Press Settings on your Remote, and horizontal scroll to Favorite channels.  If you have not set up any Favorites, the list will be blank.  Scroll by using the arrow up/down keys or Page Up?Down to rapidly scroll through the list.  Or enter the channel that you want to make a Favorite:

1.) Use the arrors to move the channel indicator to make the channel a Favorite.

2.) Press Select to Make that channel a Favorite

3.) Use the arrow keys to make as many channels Favorites as you want.  Once again press Select.

4.) When you are done adding Favorite channels, Press C to save your changes,

Guide Filtering- Press The Guide Twice to set up your Guide Filter.  You can select Favorites Channels only, Subscribed Channels Only, On Demand.  The filter will hold until changed.  You have several filters from which to choose.

To Remove a Favorite Channel-  Press Settings and go to your Favorite Channels List. Than Press Select to Remove the Star next to your Favorite channels and press C to save the changes.

To Search for a Program- Press B on your remote control.  And type the content that you want to search with the on-screen keyboard.  You can search by Title, Network, Subject, Movie, Event, Sports, or Actors.  There are different types of search categories:

Series- A Program is part of a series

Genre- Covers all elements and programs within a topic

Program- Generally an infomercial

Movie- A theatrical movie or TV mini series

Sports- A sporting event

Event- A one time live event.

Tip- If you are looking for a result that is missing, select the GENRE category for the result you are searching.

Look at your screens for Prompts, they will tell you what to do depending on where you are in the Navigation for ALL of our guides,

Menu Button-  In the Navigator Guide, this appears when you first turn on the box.  You can bring up this menu at any time by Pressing the Menu button,  Note that the "Update Now!" prompt to update your service packages does not yet work in some areas, and should be used with care if it is working.  When you press Menu on your Remote, you can scroll through the Quick Access list to get to where you want.

Pay attention to the screens!  The have prompts that tell you what to do in the Navigation!

The A button- The A button in Navigator provides Accessibility to quickly turn on Closed-Captions and SAP programing.  If you don't hear audio on a channel, press A and make sure that SAP is turned OFF.  (The prompt should say Turn On SAP) which means that SAP is now off.  You press the A button and the corresponding number, or highlight the option with the arrow keys to turn this feature on and off.

The C- button- Saves or cancels an action or moves one screen back depending on the Navigation.

Power Search in Time Grid- Press the Page Up/Down button to rapidly move through the channels in the Time Grid.

Look days ahead-  When in the Time Grid, press the + button to advance a day ahead in the Guide.  To advance a specific number of days in the Guide, when you are in the Guide press the number of days that you want to advance, followed by the right-arrow key,  For example, to advance three days:

Go to the Time Grid.  (Press Guide)

Scroll to any area in the guide

Press the number 3, followed by the right-arrow key.

To quickly get back to watching TV, press the Exit button.  The Exit button generally clears all on screen menu graphics.

30 Second Skip- Is not avaliable in the Navigator Guide.  Station managers have disabled the ability to fast-forward through commercials on Video on Demand.

If you have DVR service from Spectrum On Demand cannot be recorded.

You must subscribe to the base channel in your package to automatically get its on Demand Programing.

Here is more information about How to use the Navigator Guide:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Mods may be able to assist with other tutorials if you have the I-Guide or new Spectrum Guide.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Re: Where to find an actual, 'How to use the bloody thing" Remote user guide.

@Satch wrote:

@Woof wrote:

Hello,

This task becomes harder than people think because Spectrum has different boxes that run different guides.  And buttons that do different things based on the guide softwarre loaded on the box:

Spectrum has three guides out there:

Navigator, I-Guide, and The New Spectrum Guide

I can only help with Navigator, because that is what I have at that time:

Navigator Guide-  This is the most common guide in Spectrum markets.  I will try to answer your questions with regards to this guide:

To Set up a Favorite Channel List- Press Settings on your Remote, and horizontal scroll to Favorite channels.  If you have not set up any Favorites, the list will be blank.  Scroll by using the arrow up/down keys or Page Up?Down to rapidly scroll through the list.  Or enter the channel that you want to make a Favorite:

1.) Use the arrors to move the channel indicator to make the channel a Favorite.

2.) Press Select to Make that channel a Favorite

3.) Use the arrow keys to make as many channels Favorites as you want.  Once again press Select.

4.) When you are done adding Favorite channels, Press C to save your changes,

Guide Filtering- Press The Guide Twice to set up your Guide Filter.  You can select Favorites Channels only, Subscribed Channels Only, On Demand.  The filter will hold until changed.  You have several filters from which to choose.

To Remove a Favorite Channel-  Press Settings and go to your Favorite Channels List. Than Press Select to Remove the Star next to your Favorite channels and press C to save the changes.

To Search for a Program- Press B on your remote control.  And type the content that you want to search with the on-screen keyboard.  You can search by Title, Network, Subject, Movie, Event, Sports, or Actors.  There are different types of search categories:

Series- A Program is part of a series

Genre- Covers all elements and programs within a topic

Program- Generally an infomercial

Movie- A theatrical movie or TV mini series

Sports- A sporting event

Event- A one time live event.

Tip- If you are looking for a result that is missing, select the GENRE category for the result you are searching.

Look at your screens for Prompts, they will tell you what to do depending on where you are in the Navigation for ALL of our guides,

Menu Button-  In the Navigator Guide, this appears when you first turn on the box.  You can bring up this menu at any time by Pressing the Menu button,  Note that the "Update Now!" prompt to update your service packages does not yet work in some areas, and should be used with care if it is working.  When you press Menu on your Remote, you can scroll through the Quick Access list to get to where you want.

Pay attention to the screens!  The have prompts that tell you what to do in the Navigation!

The A button- The A button in Navigator provides Accessibility to quickly turn on Closed-Captions and SAP programing.  If you don't hear audio on a channel, press A and make sure that SAP is turned OFF.  (The prompt should say Turn On SAP) which means that SAP is now off.  You press the A button and the corresponding number, or highlight the option with the arrow keys to turn this feature on and off.

The C- button- Saves or cancels an action or moves one screen back depending on the Navigation.

Power Search in Time Grid- Press the Page Up/Down button to rapidly move through the channels in the Time Grid.

Look days ahead-  When in the Time Grid, press the + button to advance a day ahead in the Guide.  To advance a specific number of days in the Guide, when you are in the Guide press the number of days that you want to advance, followed by the right-arrow key,  For example, to advance three days:

Go to the Time Grid.  (Press Guide)

Scroll to any area in the guide

Press the number 3, followed by the right-arrow key.

To quickly get back to watching TV, press the Exit button.  The Exit button generally clears all on screen menu graphics.

30 Second Skip- Is not avaliable in the Navigator Guide.  Station managers have disabled the ability to fast-forward through commercials on Video on Demand.

If you have DVR service from Spectrum On Demand cannot be recorded.

You must subscribe to the base channel in your package to automatically get its on Demand Programing.

Here is more information about How to use the Navigator Guide:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Mods may be able to assist with other tutorials if you have the I-Guide or new Spectrum Guide.

Satch

I forgot to talk about Series Recording.  This requires some detail:

On the Navigator Guide, Gracenote does the listing data for Spectrum.  (And several other cable providers as well.)  In order for a show to qualify as a series it MUST be season and  episodic in nature with Seasons and Episode numbers listed in the program information.

1.) If a show DOES NOT HAVE season and episode numbers in it it cannot be recorded as a series.

2.) Groups of Sports Teams can not be recorded as a series because the data is NOT seasonal and episodic in nature.  Sports games must be recorded individually.

3.) In order for a series to be called "New" It must say "New" in the program's description.  Garcenote sometimes has listing errors where a show may still say "New" if a repeat airing of the new episode shows within the same several days.

4.) To record a Series in the Navigator Guide, when you find a show and select Record Series (in Navigator) there are other screens to which you must attend.  You use the UP AND DOWN   arrow keys to scroll down, AND THAN, USE THE LEFT AND RIGHT ARROW KEYS TO TO SEE THE CHOICES WITHIN EACH OPTION.

5.) Series Options and Adjustments can be made by toggling the left-and right arrow keys concerning such things as the following:

Number of episodes to save?

Do not delete or Save until space is needed?

All episodes or new episodes only?  (Recommended to save New Episodes Only.)

Series Priority- This is a special feature where you can set High or Low how important the series is to you to be recorded if there should be a conflict.

1.) If priority is set to High, the DVR will look into its 14 day database for a repeat showing of the series and record that show, over another show.  If you have lets say three series set to record, you can put them in order of  importance should their be a conflict.

2.) Don't babysit the DVR and try to resolve conflicts on your own.  This is where customers get confused the most.  The best way to resolve conflicts is to let the DVR resolve conflicts on its own.  Give it like two weeks  to see how it deals with a conflict.  That is the best way to learn DVR recording patterns for shows.

3.) If your DVR misses a show, you can always catch it On Demand by searching for it about 2-7 days after it airs and see it that way.  If you have gone for several weeks of an unrecorded series and DVR Manager reports "Channel not available."  Or "Set top was not able to record the program.,"  please contact us with the name of the show, and if you have it set up to record as a series or individually.  We can than help with further steps.

Satch