Observer

Using with FAX on HP OfficeJet Pro 8600

I've had this HP 8600 for a number of years now and used the fax with no problem.  I have an Arris TG 862 modem from Time Warner.  Suddenly, the modem doesn't like the Fax.  When I plug the fax in, the modem all the lights begin flashing and neither the phone nor the internet works.  The same thing happens if I reboot the modem with the fax plugged in.  If I eliminate the fax machine and plug the phone directly into the Arris, there is no problem.  I've changed out all the wires thinking perhaps I had a bad cable, but no luck.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It seems so strange that it always worked and now suddenly doesn't.  Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

3 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Using with FAX on HP OfficeJet Pro 8600

Cable companies use VoIP for telephone, which is converted at the modem by an eMTA (embedded multimedia terminal adapter) to give RJ-11 jacks (phone jacks).  Residential models have 2 RJ-11 jacks, a line 1 and a line 2 (on your model they are actually labled "1/2" and "2" on the back).  They (including TWC) do not use PoTS (plain old telephone service) where an analog signal come right off the phone wire drop utility coming into the home.

Use a 2-line RJ-11 wires for this connection, (should 2 pairs, 4 wires total, if you look at the ends of the connectors).

Then:

1. Plug the HP 8600's LINE 1 jack directly into the "1/2" jack on the TG862G

2. LINE 2 of the printer-fax goes to the phone appliance/handset.

3. Go to your fax settings on the HP 8600

4. Turn your Error Correction Mode (ECM) to "OFF"

5. Change your Fax Speed to "SLOW"

6. Change your Distinctive Ring Pattern to "ALL"

Let me know if this does the trick?  It's not guaranteed to fix it (faxes do not always play nice with VoIP, and visa versa), but it just might.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Observer

Just got this same info from HP along with this: single pair (2-wire) telephone wire is the magic answer.  HP All-in-one printers require the use of a single pair (2-wire) RJ-11 cable from the modem to the fax.  2 pair (4-wire) is fine from the fax to the phone.  They also recommend dropping the FAX speed to no higher than 9600 bps  and turning off the error correction, as you mentioned. 

So why did mine stop working?  In the interest of full disclosure, here's what happened.  I moved my office around a few days ago, and when I hooked the printer up again, I switched the wires.  I ran the 2-wire cable from the fax to the phone rather than from the modem to the fax and then ran a 4-wire cable from the modem to the fax instead.  I apparently forgot that 2-wire was required to run between the modem and the fax so that's what caused my "now it works, now it doesn't problem" - a simple case of wires being reversed. We'll leave the discussion about the egg on my face for another time.  :-)  but at least everything is now working again.

Thanks very much for the very prompt answer.

Cheers

Spectrum Employee

Glad you got it solved! Smiley Very Happy

And don't worry we all make mistakes, myself included.

The majority of service problems have simple solutions.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.