Newcomer

Using IR extender

I have Technicolor 9865 cable box and need to use an IR extender because my box needs to mount behind the tv. When I hook it up, stuff like ON DEMAND and SEARCH do not work. Also a reboot produces “ER-21” and halts. Works fine w/o the extender.
5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Using IR extender

Is this an optical extener or a simple plug in remote IR receiver dongle?

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Is there a technical reason that your box MUST be located behind the TV?  Or is it just a cosmetic preference?  If the coax or HDMI cable is too short, you can buy a longer one.  In some markets TWC/Spectrum will provide one of each 6 feet long free with your set-top converter. 

Newcomer

Its both technical and cosmetic.  The TV will hang on a wall with no shelves around it, and longer coax is not going to solve the problem. 

I notice the user's manual indicates that an approved IR extender should be included in the carton.  My installer did not indicate there was one, and the in-store tech said Spectrum does not support any.  I tried a different dongle today, and got different results on my receiver, but still not satisfactory.

Just for giggles, what are the approved IR extender cables for this box?  If I can find one I'll certainly be happy to purchase it.  Thanks for your help.

Rookie

I have the same issue... as long as you disconnect the IR extender when the box is booting, you'll be able to use it.  Sucks when the box reboots though.

Newcomer

Yeah, I have mine working now, but will have to go through the same thing on reboot.  But, I need a ladder to reach it Smiley LOL