New Contributor
tlc2sturg

User Interface

Oh my!  I feel like I am in time machine!  How can the user interface for the Guide (for digital and regular TV) be so archaic?!?  It doesn't even look like the images on the web.  (Google TWC Interface and you can see some screen shots of an interface that I have not seen my TVs.)

What about Last 4 Previously Viewed Channels?

How about a Guide that lists your Favorite Channels?

If I hit the "Favorites" buttom it will take me to my next Favorite channel?  (what?)

TWC did recently come into our area.  They purchased Comcast.  I thought I would try it since I have internet service through TWC.

Cannot believe the user interface!

The DVR doesn't even record the TV shows from start to finish!  (Try to record "The Big Bang Theory")  Parts are truncated off.

We have had Direct TV - far better user experience than what I currently have.

We have had AT&T Uverse - far superior user experience than both Direct TV and TWC.

I truly cannot believe this is what is offered nationally by TWS.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Satch

Re: User Interface

tlc2sturg wrote:

Oh my!  I feel like I am in time machine!  How can the user interface for the Guide (for digital and regular TV) be so archaic?!?  It doesn't even look like the images on the web.  (Google TWC Interface and you can see some screen shots of an interface that I have not seen my TVs.)

What about Last 4 Previously Viewed Channels?

How about a Guide that lists your Favorite Channels?

If I hit the "Favorites" button it will take me to my next Favorite channel?  (what?)

TWC did recently come into our area.  They purchased Comcast.  I thought I would try it since I have internet service through TWC.

Cannot believe the user interface!

The DVR doesn't even record the TV shows from start to finish!  (Try to record "The Big Bang Theory")  Parts are truncated off.

We have had Direct TV - far better user experience than what I currently have.

We have had AT&T U-Verse - far superior user experience than both Direct TV and TWC.

I truly cannot believe this is what is offered nationally by TWS.

Sadly,

TWC's program guide user interface is mediocre compared to the competition.  One of the reasons for this, is because many of the cable boxes have been in circulation for five to ten years and the very old models that approximately more than five years in the field don't have the hardware or memory resources to do what more modern boxes are capable of doing.  It's really sad because TWC's Digital Phone Service and High Speed Internet Service I think is among the best ANYWHERE

The guide has gotten better.  I know it's hard to believe, but it was even worse a few years ago!  The problem is that TWC has to do updates when they do updates for perhaps 20-30 different makes and models of boxes.  They are slowly releasing updates to the guide.  The good news is that TWC is working on moving box features and functions of the guide out of the boxes and into a secure cloud system.  Sort of like how Video on Demand is now.  As more features are moved to the cloud, the boxes hardware will have to do less work.  New features will than be a part of the cloud technology and as that happens, we will start to see an IPG that resembles a modern interface.  The bad news is, it can take a long time for this process to happen.

Updates would happen so much faster if TWC had to write code for say only two boxes.  Say a state of the art non-DVR box and a state of the art DVR box.  Problem is there are 17-20 million set tops of various ages and capabilities across MANY cable company footprints.  NOT just TWC.  Most cable guides suck or are at the very least mediocre.  Too many boxes, too many venders.  In contrast, I think Direct TV, Dish Network, and U-Verse might have about five or less converters and DVR's in their systems.  A much smaller footprint for hardware than the cable companies. 

Having said all this, the shows being cut off is NOT likely a result of the DVR.  Many networks start their shows at times different than the guide.  The Guide Data is not even produced by TWC.  It is put out by Tribune Media Services, which handles digital media for several different company guides.  What I always do is for any shows or series start them about 1-2 minutes early and have them end 1-2 minutes later.

You can create a Favorite Channels List.  (At least through the Black Interface Navigator Guide.)  Someone asked about this in another post.  I will copy the steps on how to do that here:

There's several ways you can create a customized channel list.  These instructions apply to the Navigator (Black Interface) Guide:

To create a Favorite Channels list:

1.) Press Settings on the Remote

2.) Horizontal scroll to Favorite Channels. Press Select.

3.) Create (or Edit) the list by scrolling up and down, or entering the channel number that you want to make a favorite, or deactivate as a favorite.  You can also use the Page +/- button to get to the channels you want faster going up or down.

4.) Press Select to make a channel a Favorite and a star appears.  Press Select again to deactivate a channel, the star disappears.

5.) Follow the prompt on the screen to save your changes.  After Saving your changes, press Exit to return to watching TV.

To see only your Favorite Channels in the Guide (Does not yet apply to Search screens.)

1.) Press the Guide Button twice to bring up Guide Filtering.

2.) Select "Favorite Channels" for your Filter.

3.) The Time Grid now shows only the channels on your personalized Favorite Channel's list.  The filter will hold until changed.  If someone changes it, just press Guide twice and select "Favorite Channels" again.

Additionally, pressing the FAV button on your remote when the Guide is showing will scroll you to each Favorite channel in the list.  Pressing the FAV button when the Guide is not showing, tunes to the next consecutive Favorite Channel on the list.

Hope this helps!

Satch

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
TV_Phreak

The user interface for their TV streaming website http://twctv.com is also far from perfect.  You scroll a long channel list to find the channel to watch.  You cannot make a favorite list,  It only has a "recent" list.    And the program guide doesn't take you to live streaming; it only takes you to TV viewing.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Geezus127

Ask them for a MoCA box.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Satch

Geezus127 wrote:

Ask them for a MoCA box.

Well most CSR counter reps are gonna go "HUHHH??"  "What?"  Many think the boxes are all the same!  Trust me!  I speak from experiance!  If you can, just ask for a Cisco, Samsung, or Motorolla box over the SA's IF you can get one.  You may not have a choice in some divisions.  Additionally, some divisions will only give out the newer boxes to Signature Home/Whole House Subscribers.

Satch

Please use plain text.
edac2

The new user interface is two steps forward and three steps back. I woke up one morning last month and bam, it was new. My first reaction was that the text was way too tiny. Sorry, there are no options for making it bigger. And as I've been using it for the past few weeks, I've noticed other shortcomings. Here are my top three gripes: 1) Grouping recorded shows by show names sounds good on paper, but is annoying, especially when you want to play a show. It's now a multi-step process, and if you have several episodes of a show in a list it's very easy to play them in the wrong order. 2) You can no longer select a show in the guide and then press the Find button to search for other showings to record. You have to type out the name, every time. 3) The progress bar (like when you fast forward) is HUGE. I'd guess it takes up nearly a quarter of the screen's vertical real estate. And it's black. And opaque. WHY? Why does it have to be so intrusive? The only way to get rid of it is to press the Info button. Is it too much to ask to have an option to make it hidden unless I press the Info button, or at least go away after a couple of seconds?

Please use plain text.