Rookie

Time to return cable box

I had to turn off my cable for 2 months. I still have the DVR box but plan to turn the service back on when i get back. Is it necessary to return the boxes or do i have to return them and then get them back again when i get home? Would there be a charge for keeping them for a few weeks with them disconnected?

3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Time to return cable box

@terryzxwrote:

I had to turn off my cable for 2 months. I still have the DVR box but plan to turn the service back on when i get back. Is it necessary to return the boxes or do i have to return them and then get them back again when i get home? Would there be a charge for keeping them for a few weeks with them disconnected?

Hi,

This is a big mistake that people make.  They go on vacation or something involving an extended period of time and unplug their cable boxes.  Customers should ALWAYS leave there boxes plugged in.  System upgrades many times can happen overnight, and the box needs those updates to be able to work.

We had a guy on vacation for sixty days, maybe more, came back to an unplugged box and it got stuck on getting updates.  He had to exchange it.  You can leave your boxes turned off, but don't unplug them when on vacation.  No reason for that.  When you get back home, this customer should contract Spectrum to try to get them activated again.  If that fails, they will need to be swapped.

Satch

Proven Sharer

Agreed.

I made the mistake of leaving my DTAs unplugged when away for an extended period of time.  When I finally came home to put them back in service, they wouldn't activate.  Phone help could see them, but I was told they were too far gone, and I'd have to get replacements.

Leave them connected to the cable, and leave their power cords connected.  You can turn the box "off", but it will still be talking to the mothership and get updates as needed, even if you "suspend" your service for those two months.

Lead Moderator

Hi terryzx

If you completely shut down/disconnected the account you will be charged an 

unreturned equipment fee.

if when you come back you have the account reconnected you should be able to 

use the same equipment. I have seen in some cases where the equipment 

needs to be returned, the account balance zeroed out and a new install performed

to reactivate an address.  

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums