TV Receiver Boxes shut off after about 1 hour.

Have a problem with 2 new TV Receiver Boxes turning off after about an hour of being on.  Just before it shuts off the picture will freeze, the audio will still play for about 5 to 10 seconds then the audio will die.  The picture will still be on the screen for another 10 to 20 seconds, but the remote will have no affect on anything.  Then the receiver box will turn off killing the video feed.

I give it about 30 seconds and then turn the unit back on.  The TV displays the Spectrum logo with "Acquiring Application Information ..." and the boxes below that and then it will shut off again.  I use the remote to turn it back on and it says that the TV will be with you momentary as it counts from 10 down to 0 before the channels are available.  This process takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

The TV & receiver box are plugged into a switched power strip, so power is not applied while the TV is not on.  Airflow to the receiver is not obstructed and is not hidden away from air circulation.  i have felt the box after it turns off, it is warm but not hot to the touch.  I have had the receivers about 2 weeks now, so they are fairly new and it started with both of them on the same day.  Prior to this happening, I had watched TV for several hours on HD channels with no issues.  It turns off regardless if it is a HD channel or not.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

7 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: TV Receiver Boxes shut off after about 1 hour.

Hi Gone Fishing,

When I first started reading this post, I thought that you had the Power Save Mode on.  But Power Save mode turns off the box after four hours of inactivity, not one.  The freezing of video/audio, the shutting down, the boot up process should not be happening when you turn the box back on.  I will give you three steps to do and see if this helps.

1.) Power off your TV and the box.  Unplug the box for several minutes.  Plug the box back in and reboot.

2.) Turn the box back on, and wait for an hour.  If this happens again, my suspicion would be that you have a bad box.  Can you try after this reboot, plugging your box cord directly into the wall , wait for over an hour and see if that solves this issue?  You might have a bad surge protector or power  strip.

3.) If going directly to the wall outlet does not fix this, or the same issue comes back, you will need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test, and probably a new box.  The tech will need to check the signal levels first because a new box won't solve bad signals or line problems.  What is the make and model of the box?

Post back and let us know what happens.

Satch

Spectrum Employee

What interests me to this is you're saying this is happening to "Both" boxes?

Is it happening at the same time, or will they randomly do it seperately?

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Update so far:

1.  I have 2 boxes that are about 2 weeks old and this weekend both were shutting off after being on for 1 to 2 hours.   One is in the bedroom and the other is in the living room.  I was only watching one TV at a time, so I was unable to determine if both happens at the same time.  Also, I had been flipping channels and using the TV guide function during the commercial breaks to see what was going on.  This is another reason it was not part of the power save mode.

2.  Today I unplugged the livingroom box from its switched powerstrip where it had been off all day and plugged it directly into the wall outlet.  Turned it on with the remote control and it took 6 minutes to go thru the "Acquiring Application Information ..."  process.  Once that was done, the cable box shut off.  I turned it back on and it took 2 minutes for the "TV will be with you momentary" to count down from 10 to 3.  Once at 3, it stays at 3 for another 6 minutes (total of 8) then the TV screen goes to a gray color.  I turn off the box using the remote and turn it right back on and it goes back to displaying the  "TV will be with you momentary" and the number 3 below.  It stays like that until the screen goes gray again in about 8 minutes.  This is where I turned off both the TV and the box out of frustration.

3.  Also, I unplugged the bedroom box from its switched powerstrip and directly into a wall outlet and ran tru the power up sequence.  It takes about 1 minute to go thru the  "Acquiring Application Information ..."  process and then it shuts off.  i turn it back on again and it takes just short of 3 minutes for it to run thru the "TV will be with you momentary" before the screen is operational.  This time the TV ran for 15 minutes, then video locked up & sound quit before resuming again after about 10 seconds.  I am currently running a check to see how long it will stay operational and it has been 30 minutes as of the post time of this update.  I will let you all know what happens...

OK, so the TV in the bedroom lasted for 1 hour and 5 minutes before it locked up and shut itself off.  I was able to get it to reset itself and watch TV again but this is lunicy,  2 different receivers same issue.

Last check for the night.  Unplugged the bedroom RF cable and the power cable for the box for 5 minutes and then restarted the cable box.  This time the TV was on only for 45 minutes before the cable box froze up and then turned itself off. Smiley Frustrated  And both cable boxes are the Spectrum 101 - H models.

Trusted Helper

@Gone_Fishingwrote:

Last check for the night.  Unplugged the bedroom RF cable and the power cable for the box for 5 minutes and then restarted the cable box.  This time the TV was on only for 45 minutes before the cable box froze up and then turned itself off. Smiley Frustrated  And both cable boxes are the Spectrum 101 - H models.

I am going to make a prediction,

You have two bad cable boxes.  I am about 80% sure.  20% sure your signals might be bad, but lets do a truck roll.  Get your signals checked, cause a new box won't solve bad signals.  You have done the serge protector to direct wall test with the same results.  You may need to swap out both boxes. Another reason that the box is bad, you are getting that boot up message even without a loss of power, or so it seems.  Where are you located?  City?  State? Zip?  Call Spectrum to get this checked out.

Satch

Browser

But I think there was a power loss each time, because it was stated that the boxes were plugged into a power strip that was turned off when the TV is not being used.

EDIT:

I do see that it was also reported that the cable box would display the message when it was restarted after it froze...so never mind, lol!