Valued Contributor

Support for Making Calls with Rotary Phones

Anyone know if Voice Service from TWC / Spectrum supports old school pulse dialing (rotary) phones?

Although I am certain I will be able to answer calls, I was wondering if support exists for making calls with a rotary phone.

8 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Support for Making Calls with Rotary Phones

dstoffa wrote:

Anyone know if Voice Service from TWC / Spectrum supports old school pulse dialing (rotary) phones?

Although I am certain I will be able to answer calls, I was wondering if support exists for making calls with a rotary phone.

Yes,

Just call and at like the 3rd or 4th response of "I don't understand your question," you will be able to speak to a live person on a rotery phone.

Satch

Valued Contributor

Satch wrote:

Yes,

Just call and at like the 3rd or 4th response of "I don't understand your question," you will be able to speak to a live person on a rotery phone.

Satch

Not really the answer I am looking for...

I want to know if TWC / Spectrum voice equipment supports pulse / decadic dialing.  I know it will support DTMF (Touch-Tone) dialing.

Expert

EMTA's are supposed to handle BELL pulse dial timing , But if it's an old phone and the dial is sticky, it will fail. You will also have a REN issue with more than 2 mechanical bell phones, you can't exceed a 1.0 REN, they will hose up dialing, many later, dial sets like WE 500's disconnect the bell when you go off hook, but they can't disconnect on hook phones.

Valued Contributor

MsRaye wrote:

EMTA's are supposed to handle BELL pulse dial timing , But if it's an old phone and the dial is sticky, it will fail. You will also have a REN issue with more than 2 mechanical bell phones, you can't exceed a 1.0 REN, they will hose up dialing, many later, dial sets like WE 500's disconnect the bell when you go off hook, but they can't disconnect on hook phones.

Thank you.  Just what I was looking for.  The phone in question is an old 554 wall mount rotary in my farm kitchen.  It doesn't even have modular plugs.  It's currently in service (and works) on a POTS system.  Installing a "new" phone would ruin the charm of the kitchen.

If/when I get voice service from TWC, I wanted to know if the move would kill my phone...  Thanks again!

Expert

If all the other phones are electronic ringers, you should be ok. But, if it was originally configured with a grounded ringer for a party line using the yellow wire, it won't ring

There was a bell system wiring mod that used the yel&blk wires to cut off bells when any phone was taken off hook. Don't even try, lol.

Expert

per the cisco 2203 manual:

4015257 Rev B
What
Are the Requirements for Telephone Service?
What Are the Requirements for Telephone Service?
This section provides hardware and software requirements for using your cable
modem for telephone service.
Number of Telephone Devices
The RJ
-
11 telephone
-
s
tyle connectors on the cable modem can each provide
telephone service to multiple telephones, fax machines, and analog modems.
The maximum number of telephone devices connected to each RJ
-
11 port is limited
by the total Ringing Load of the telephone devic
es that are connected. Many
telephone devices are marked with a Ringer Equivalent Number (REN). Each
telephone port on the cable modem can support up to a 5 REN load.
The sum of the REN load on all of the telephone devices attached to each port must
not e
xceed 5 REN.
Telephone Device Types
You can use telephone devices that are not labeled with a REN number, but the
maximum number of attached telephone devices cannot be accurately calculated.
With telephone devices that are not labeled, each device should
be connected and
the ring signal should be tested before adding more devices. If too many telephone
devices are attached and the ring signal can no longer be heard, telephone devices
should be removed until the ring signal works properly.
Telephones, fax
machines, and other telephone devices should use the center 2 pins
of the RJ
-
11 connectors to connect to the cable modem telephone ports. Some
telephones use other pins on the RJ
-
11 connectors and require adapters in order to
work.
Dialing Requirements
Al
l your telephones should be set to use DTMF dialing. Pulse dialing is typically not
enabled by your local provider.
Rookie

So just to clarify - when I move from Verizon phone service to Spectrum(Triple play - Central NYS) I can still use my current telephones.  Correct?  The rep I spoke to gave me the impression that I would have to get a Voip phone from TWC?spectrum.

Rookie

I'm an old time warner customer.  I currently have 4 old rotary phones and a cordless base station and everything dials out and rings phone.  By old rotarey, I mean 1940s.