Participant

Spinning dots!

Does anyone know why as to why when I go to:

Recorded Shows

Search

Settings

I see spinning dots? The box is searching. I also see "Not available at this time" This is my third box in a year! Unbelievable. 

Please dont tell me to reboot! Been there, done that. :-)

JJK
10 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Spinning dots!

Has a tech come out to check your coax signal quality and physical condition of the lines/splitters/amps running from the street to the house and from the house to the cable box? Since you've had three boxes with the same symptoms I'd venture to say that this is NOT an issue with the box.

Trusted Helper

@reds91185 wrote:

Has a tech come out to check your coax signal quality and physical condition of the lines/splitters/amps running from the street to the house and from the house to the cable box? Since you've had three boxes with the same symptoms I'd venture to say that this is NOT an issue with the box.

Agree with Reds,

Also don't reboot any equipment for at least six hours prior to your service call.  The tech needs to read the signal error codes and rebooting of any equipment (boxes, modems, routers) resets the error codes back to zero,  The tech needs to see those codes,  You need your signals and drop line checked.  New equipment swaps will  NEVER solve bad signals!

Satch

Participant

Sorry guys. I should have been a bit more clear. I never had this problem witht the other boxes. They were different problems. This just started happening a few days ago. And Yes, the line was checked a few weeks ago when I had a modem issue. it was fine. 

JJK
Trusted Helper

@JKelly wrote:

Sorry guys. I should have been a bit more clear. I never had this problem witht the other boxes. They were different problems. This just started happening a few days ago. And Yes, the line was checked a few weeks ago when I had a modem issue. it was fine. 

Hi JKelly,

Where are you located?  City, State, and Zip?  And what is the model of the box that is doing this?  How old is this box?

When you see the spinning dots and you get the error messages, do you get them more often at night like after midnight or is it a random thing that happens any time of the day or night? 

There was an update pushed to Spectrum's most widely used guide,  Navigator.  The build is ODN 8.1.  If you press the A button on your remote and you see options for Closed Captioning and SAP programing, you have this latest update.  Some customers around the country have noted that there have been issues from time to time with the Search not completing in this build with the B button and On Demand at times not working

To be honest, if you have this build, I don't think another box swap is going to do anything.  We will just have to wait for the developers of the guide to push out a software patch to fix the little bugs. 

The only way that a box swap would make a difference would be if you have an really old SA box from about ten years ago,  They are really slow, and  the DVR's provide very limited storage.  But the issues that you are describing to use does not indicate a box problem.  I would venture to guess that your On Demand is very unreliable as well,  Give us your box make and model that is giving these errors.

Oh, and can you also provide for us the make and model of the boxes that are fine?  We need to do a comparison, and we need your location and zip code.

Thanks!

Satch

Helper

@JKelly wrote:

What were the other problems with the other boxes? Also, it seems strange to me tha you have box problems and modem problems but the signal is fine?? My gut still says you have signal problems at the root of this. Once is a coincidence but three times is a pattern.

Not applicable

Patch is exactly what I was thinking. That's why I asked my Spectrum Technician to open a ticket and escalate it.

James
Concord, NC
Lead Moderator

Good morning. 

I am seeing a signal level issue at the cable box that does not exist at the modem. 

I would encourage you to contact our Social Media Customer Care team to get a follow up appointment scheduled. 

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

or
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Browser

mine started doing that to when i goto the dvr part of it and look at what's been recorded. it will sit there with a grey screen with a circle of dots spinning around for a few. i unplugged it and tried to do a cold reboot. sometimes it does it and sometimes it don't. um have you noticed if the lights on your box go bright and go dim also i don't know what box you have but i have the old arris 6 tuner dvr

Participant

I have a Humax box. It is not as bad as it was ten days ago. I still see the searching dots for a few seconds when I search. It looks similiar to a PC when there is not enough memory. 

JJK