Observer

Spectrum worldbox 201-t looks horrible!

My old Cisco box started having problems and I was force upgraded into one of these new spectrum 201-t boxes. I dont know exactly what they changed internally with the hardware but I’ve tested 2 boxes and they have awful, sub 1080 picture quality.
Its somewhat subtle but all one has to do is look at the choppy letters in the menus and guide to see that something is wrong.
HD, especially in wide shots where resolution is important looks terrible!!! The color redition and handling of highlights is also bad. Its not quite “standard definition” bad but its not anywhere near how my old box looked.
I’m imagining theyve made millions of these boxes (manufactured by cisco) and are forcing them on their customers. Theres no clock on the front which is another clear attempt to save nickels. I really cant believe they are ruining the tv watching experinece for their customers! My apple tv still looks great and if they dont get it together they will be pushing me right over the edge into cutting the cord!
Has anyone else experienced or noticed this?

7 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Spectrum worldbox 201-t looks horrible!

Greetings,

I created a whole thread about tips and bugs with the New Spectrum Guide.  First I have heard though of poor screen resolution and picture quality.  I still have my Cisco 9865.  Here's the Spectrum Guide thread for your consideration:

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/Important-Information-and-Tips-About-The-New-Spectru...

Update- You should get a tech out to assess your signals and drop line, as well as your tap.  The problems that you are describing are more signal and line related.  Avoid resetting any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours prior to your service call so that the error codes don't get reset to zero.  The tech needs to take a signal reading and check out your lines.  Ask him to check your resolution settings on the box as well.

No clock on the box is a result of moving to cloud-based services.  You can try to get a box with a clock, but you might have to go back to a two tuner DVR if you do that.  The six-tuner boxes are becoming rarer and rarer.  The World Boxes are four tuners.

Satch

Observer

What does going cloud based have to do with a clock on the front?
It does not seem to be the signal as the only thing thats changed is the box. Everything else is exactly the same and looked fine with my older box.
Having a technician come out with my work schedule is impossible to do with a 2 or 4 hr window and ive already wasted over 6 hours dealing with this.
If they cant get me a box that works I’ll definitely be canceling my service. So much for progress.
Spectrum Employee

The 201 boxes still use HDMI connections to transmit up to 1080i quality whenever available.

It would seem to me that if you're seeing a loss in picture quality, it would either be a setting on a box or an issue with the signals coming in. There are a couple settings you can check before defaulting to a technician to come address signals.

1) Go to Settings menu, and scroll to the right to the "High Definition" page. Select "Output Resolution". You're going to want to make sure this is set to 1080i only. NOT Auto-Select.

2) Then go to aspect Ratio. You want this set to 16x9.

These are the preferred settings for the highest definition picture Spectrum can offer. Again: these boxes are using the same signals, same software (currently), and same output connection as the other boxes. The box itself should not impact your picture quality.

If these settings are set accordingly, the problem would be either damaged/degraded equipment, or the incoming signals - both of which a tech would be prepared to put in order for you.

Helper

@Ska wrote:
What does going cloud based have to do with a clock on the front?
It does not seem to be the signal as the only thing thats changed is the box.

No clock on the front has nothing to do with cloud services...it has everything to do with market research. The industry's research has told them that a majority of customers (especially the all-important younger demo) would rather have a clean, uncluttered look as opposed to a bunch of LED displays staring at them. Game consoles like the Xbox and Playstation, or streaming boxes like the Apple TV don't have clocks either and that is what people are used to. Not to mention everyone has a cell phone surgically attached to their hands that already have a clock.

Lead Moderator

Good morning @Ska

Viewing the account associated with your Forums registration information I am seeing that the upstream signal levels at the cable box are out of range. I would encourage you 

to have a tech visit to look into this. 

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

If you can tell that from your desk, how come in 4 hours of dealing with customer service, they couldnt? Just more evidence of terrible servoce telling me i should take my business elsewhere. 

Lead Moderator

@Ska I am not able to tell what the agents were viewing at the time of the call. I am unabel to tell if this signal issue is intermittent.  

I can tell you that at this time your upstream on your cable box are out of range.

If you would like to schedule an appointment to have this investigated please

feel free to contact our Social Media Customer Care team to have that scheduled.

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums