Participant

Spectrum keeps changing default channel "on" channel

Recently, after Oceanic Time Warner Cable changed its name to Spectrum, when I turn on my Cable box-TV the Spectrum channel  59 LVF appears  (the channel with the woman talking about the digital conversion).  Via Settings, I change the default "Power On Channel" to 1010 and it works for a day. Then it reverts back to the Spectrum channel 59.  I've made this change over a 2 dozen times and it's still 6/20/18) happening. 

It appears that a Spectrum script programmer has inserted code into my cable box so as to advertise Spectrum; it feels sneaky.  Reinstalling/rebooting doesn't fix it.

Got fix?

Thanks, Kerry

14 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Spectrum keeps changing default channel."on" channel

@JamesZ@Julia_R

The forum moderators at Spectrum will need to know the model of your set-top box. 

You already know how to change the startup channel, (including pressing the 'Select' button to lock in your selection), so we'll skip that part.  One thing you might try is selecting "Last Viewed" instead of a specific channel number.

Trusted Helper

@karlbeckman wrote:

@JamesZ@Julia_R

The forum moderators at Spectrum will need to know the model of your set-top box. 

You seem to already know how to change the startup channel, including pressing the 'Select' button afterwards, so we'll skip that part.  And since you didn't have this problem before, I think you know that the converter box has to stay plugged in continuously overnight.  When the box reboots, it may dump your start-up channel selection. 

Yes,

In addition to the make and model of the cable box, where are you located?  State, City, and Zip?  Our mod team can send feedback regarding this issue.  I recall another user having this same issue, with a message in Settings that said "Spectrum has an important Message for you, so we changed your Power on Channel to view it."

This division was doing that as a way to inform customers of incoming messages or updates.  The customer would keep changing his/her Box/Channel Power on to what they wanted, and less than a week later, it would keep going back to the "Spectrum has an Important Message...." in Settings.  I have heard of this in the past.

Satch

Community Manager

Re: Spectrum keeps changing default channel "on" channel

@comcom

In addition to the STB information,  are you seeing a message about the digital conversion?   

Participant

Re: Spectrum keeps changing default channel "on" channel

Thanks all.

My set top box is "technicolor" 9865HDC. Our provider is Spectrum Hilo, Hawaii 96778

After selecting Settings > Power On Channel > to channel 1010 the software  keeps (at least 24 times)  changing my preferred "Power On Channel" to channel 59  LFV with a woman explaining about the switch to all digital. This happens most every day upon turning on the TV.

Sure would be nice to have this fixed.

Kerry

Participant

Thanks James:
Re: "Last viewed" Then, each time I turned on the TV I would have to scroll to channal 1010—not the ideal solution to something that can be fixed via software..
Kerry
Highlighted
Lead Moderator

Just to clarify when you noticed this was happening have you by chance 

rebooted the box? 

If you will give that a shot please and let us know if the issue is still persisting.

Thank you! 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Participant

Thanks Julia,

Yes, I've rebooted and reactivated the box several times with no luck.

Kerry

PS: How do I receive email notifications of replies here?

Newcomer

I am having the same issue. It is being done on purpose by spectrum and I want it to stop. I am tired of resetting my power on channel. I already know that spectrum is going"full digital".

STOP MESSING WITH MY POWER ON CHANNEL SELECTION!!!

Trusted Helper

@danoh7 wrote:

I am having the same issue. It is being done on purpose by spectrum and I want it to stop. I am tired of resetting my power on channel. I already know that spectrum is going"full digital".

STOP MESSING WITH MY POWER ON CHANNEL SELECTION!!!

Danoh,

In what city and state are you located?  Zip code?  Need this to see if it is the same area as the OP reporting this issue.  Thanks!

Satch