Rookie

Spectrum Downgraded My Equipment

I recently moved from the San Fernando Valley to Los Angeles and Spectrum switched out my brand new boxes with extremely old usless Arris DVR boxes.  They said that at our current location did not support the newer boxes.  The DVR boxes we had were before were brand new and could record 6 shows at once as well as hold a huge amount of content.  They switched them out with old boxes where the guide and menu looks like its straight out of the 90s and has no storage space whatsoever.  I recorded a single movie and it lietrally took up 11% of the boxes memory.  Also when I try to record shows its hit or miss if it actually records.  For the amount of money we pay for this service it is unacceptable.  Has anyone else run in to this problem?  If its true that our location doesnt work with the newer boxes then there is absolutely no reason to keep Spetrum as our provider because these old boxes are pointless.  

8 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Spectrum Downgraded My Equipment

ktolle wrote:

I recently moved from the San Fernando Valley to Los Angeles and Spectrum switched out my brand new boxes with extremely old usless Arris DVR boxes.  They said that at our current location did not support the newer boxes.  The DVR boxes we had were before were brand new and could record 6 shows at once as well as hold a huge amount of content.  They switched them out with old boxes where the guide and menu looks like its straight out of the 90s and has no storage space whatsoever.  I recorded a single movie and it lietrally took up 11% of the boxes memory.  Also when I try to record shows its hit or miss if it actually records.  For the amount of money we pay for this service it is unacceptable.  Has anyone else run in to this problem?  If its true that our location doesnt work with the newer boxes then there is absolutely no reason to keep Spetrum as our provider because these old boxes are pointless.  

This is one of the big controversies about Spectrum,

There are some markets that are still giving out the older boxes, and if you move, you may move to a division who's nodes have not been updated, and you might get stuck with older boxes with the I-Guide instead of the Navigator Guide, much smaller DVR storage, lack of an HD interface on the guide.  To be honest, an upsetting downgrade.

Does your box say Arris?  Arris is one of the newer boxes.  They used to be Motorola.  The only thing that I could recommend would be try to go to your local office, and see if you can get a six-tuner box.  Spectrum also offers a four-tuner new World Box.  Go to your office and try to get a six-tuner, or at least a four-tuner DVR.

I wish I could offer better help in this regard.  The two-tuner DVR hurts ALL vendors that still use it.  The storage space is too small, and unfortunately for Spectrum, it is a reason why people are moving to other vendors.  Spectrum needs to combat this problem by offering DVR's with more tuners and storage.  They do in some markets, but not all of them.

Satch

Sharer

Frustrating, but in the end, someone is going to have the oldest equipment in service.  Reminds me of the time when my parents moved, and the telephone exchange serving their neighborhood was still pulse based.  They couldn't get touch-tone dialing well into the 80's...  Ma Bell didn't give them any breaks, but I believe they were charging extra for touch-tone service at that time...

Expert

Spectrum is alks also downgrading modems, they are replacing 16-32 channel ones with obsolete 8 channel ones.

Trusted Helper

dstoffa wrote:

Frustrating, but in the end, someone is going to have the oldest equipment in service.  Reminds me of the time when my parents moved, and the telephone exchange serving their neighborhood was still pulse based.  They couldn't get touch-tone dialing well into the 80's...  Ma Bell didn't give them any breaks, but I believe they were charging extra for touch-tone service at that time...

There's another problem as well,

The nodes in some of these smaller towns are rural communities have not been updated yet to the technology needed that runs the newer boxes and guides.  It's not just, getting newer boxes in those areas, but getting those nodes up-to-date to run the new guides.

Many legacy Charter areas are still on Passport, some on IGuide, some on Moxi, and some on SARA.  Where you live makes a big difference concerning the guide that you have, and the boxes you are able to get.

Satch

Rookie

If we don't have proper equpment to run quality digital television, then why does are bills keep going up due to getting new equipment so I have been told. My bill is over $200 now and when I try to drop some of my options I am told it will cost me more because I am in a bundle. Yet when I look at my bill the items I want to drop are not part of the bundle. I have called twice now and can't get a clear answer on why the bill keeps rising and why everyone I talk to with the same service pays a different price. Spectrum customer service each time has not been helpful and the more questions you ask the more impatient that become with you. Not happy with them at all. Ready to call it quits with them. There are other ways to go besides spectrum and if another service ever does come in here their once loyal customers will be gone.

Trusted Helper

darrig wrote:

If we don't have proper equpment to run quality digital television, then why does are bills keep going up due to getting new equipment so I have been told. My bill is over $200 now and when I try to drop some of my options I am told it will cost me more because I am in a bundle. Yet when I look at my bill the items I want to drop are not part of the bundle. I have called twice now and can't get a clear answer on why the bill keeps rising and why everyone I talk to with the same service pays a different price. Spectrum customer service each time has not been helpful and the more questions you ask the more impatient that become with you. Not happy with them at all. Ready to call it quits with them. There are other ways to go besides spectrum and if another service ever does come in here their once loyal customers will be gone.

Hello,

What is your package level now?  Are you on Triple Play?  (Cable, Internet and Phone.)  It is true that being in a bundle does discount you, but you may be able to drop some services.  If you have Spectrum Gold, you could drop down to Spectrum Silver and, despite losing maybe about 15 channels, most of them Viacom networks, your bill could go down about $20.

If you could do without any premium channels, you could drop Spectrum Silver and just get Digi Tier 1 and Digi Tier 2.  It will give you just about everything in Silver, without the Premium Channels.

Could you drop DVR service?  That would save a box rental and DVR fee?

New customers get promotions that last for 12 months.  Than they get bumped up to retail pricing after 24 months, with some discounts for bundles.

Maybe call and ask for Customer Retentions to help lower your bill.  Run the above options by them.  Make sure that you punch in the zip code by visiting Spectrum's website for TV, so that you can compare the package differences.  The pricing on the page, sadly is for new customers only.

Satch

Lead Moderator

@darrig  What problems are you having with the quality? You have mentioned price

and that you are not getting the quality digital TV you would expect to be receiving with your package.

If you would like to post some information about your issue in your own thread I am 

sure there are folks here who would be happy to help with that. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Yes, I am on triple play. And that is what I wanted to do, drop my dvr and downgrade my service to lesser channels and was told that would change my package and wind up costing me more. I didn't understand that becaue I knew people that did that. Just kept the starter and standard package. 

It was so frustrating talking to this person, he was giving different prices and then changed them later on. I'm not sure what spectrum is up to but it doesn't seem to be to help it's customers.