Not applicable

Spectrum 201 DVR turning on and off by itself.

My Spectrum 201 DVR is turning on and off and it wont stop. I have done two complete re-boots and unplugged it from a power strip (apparently the model 201 doesnt like being plugged into a power strip...great engineering job there)  and plugged it directly into a wall outlet. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thank you

3 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: Spectrum 201 DVR turning on and off by itself.

Did it stop once you plugged directly into the wall outlet? 

The box would not have a way of determining the source of the power, if it is a strip or directly into the wall outlet. I would suspect that there may be a problem with the strip if the box is not still doing that when it is directly plugged into the wall.

Was the coax also going through a power strip?  Those often cause problems with signal levels/ingress to the box. @karlbeckman can very likely expound on that.  @Satch do you have any experience with using one of those? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Trusted Helper

@Julia_R wrote:

Did it stop once you plugged directly into the wall outlet? 

The box would not have a way of determining the source of the power, if it is a strip or directly into the wall outlet. I would suspect that there may be a problem with the strip if the box is not still doing that when it is directly plugged into the wall.

Was the coax also going through a power strip?  Those often cause problems with signal levels/ingress to the box. @karlbeckman can very likely expound on that.  @Satch do you have any experience with using one of those? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Hello,

I have heard debates about "Plug your box into the wall and not a serge protector" and most just laugh at that idea.  The general consensus is that a surge protector is there to protect your equipment.  I have a Monster Cable surge protector for the last decade.  No problems whatsoever.

I have a great friend who worked for the old TWC who said that there was a Motorola box that when issued would reboot when plugged into a surge protector.  This was a certain model, can't remember the number.  I am not in a Spectrum/TWC area head end that uses Motorola boxes.

Now, I know that Direct TV will always install by plugging the cable directly into the wall.  Their story is "Oh, you have to have that constant voltage going into the wall directly or the Dish won't work right."  But that is not true.

The reason why some installers will say, "Plug your cable box into the wall." is because over the  years, pets, such as cats and dogs would go behind the TV, as well as little kids, and they would flip the power switch on the serge protector.  People would be calling their TV vendor saying "My Cable's Out" or Dish, or whatever.  The poor field tech would come out and find that the switch to the power switch was turned off,  Tripped by a kid or an animal.  The other reason is that some contractors don't like the idea of people plugging in their equipment into any third party device that isn't theirs.

However, there's no documented evidence that plugging your cable box into a surge protector is wrong.  I have no idea about my friend's experiences with that model of Motorola box.  It IS possible that there might be something wrong with the serge protector itself OR the outlet.  If I was the original poster, I would get a tech out to check your signals and wiring.  Julia is correct, the box doesn't know the source of the power.  But you need a tech to determine that the power amperage and signals are correct, regardless of direct wall connection or surge protector/power strip.

I think you likely have a bad box. See if you can swap it for an Arris or a Cisco.  I can't recommend Samsungs.  People say they are very buggy.  The World Boxes are getting mixed reviews.  The 2.0 models out in a few markets are supposed to squash some of the bugs.  Most customers say that the World Boxes run very hot so keep them in an open space area and don't cover the vents!

Satch

Established Sharer

There are two different cables that could be run through a surge protection device.  The first and most obvious one is the set top converter's AC power cord.  The problem is with folks who insist on turning off the AC power to the converter every time they shut off their TV set.  The converter needs to remain connected and powered at all times, just like a DVR, so it can communicate regularly with the cable system head end equipment.  

A serious problem can exist if the home does not have properly installed and grounded 3-wire power outlets.  Therefore 2-wire ground adaptors are not allowed on any AC protector strip. 

The second wire to protect in many folks mind would be the coaxial signal cable.  BIG Problem here!!  The AC surge protector strips in a plastic housing do not maintain complete shielding of the signal line.  They allow outside signals and noise from licensed broadcast TV, cell phones, and both private and public safety radio systems to interfere with the TV programming and internet data.  In addition, the outer shield is not connected to the proper power-line ground and can sometimes become a shock hazard.  NEVER connect the signal cable through a "cable surge protector" that is part of an AC surge protector unit.  The cable company is required to install its own grounding clamp and connect it to the building power ground where the coaxial cable enters the building.