Rookie

Sound randomly cuts out with new cable box

Our cable box went bad, so I went to TWC and got a replacement one. Now, with the new box, the sound will randomly cut out. We've found a quick fix to be changing the channel and changing it back, but have found no permanent fixes. TWC representatives have suggested unplugging and plugging in the box, but this has not solved the problem. This issue occurs on both live TV as well as recorded programs.

TV is a Hisense. Cable box is Cisco brand. We use an HDMI cable.

12 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Sound randomly cuts out with new cable box

foos28 wrote:

Our cable box went bad, so I went to TWC and got a replacement one. Now, with the new box, the sound will randomly cut out. We've found a quick fix to be changing the channel and changing it back, but have found no permanent fixes. TWC representatives have suggested unplugging and plugging in the box, but this has not solved the problem. This issue occurs on both live TV as well as recorded programs.

TV is a Hisense. Cable box is Cisco brand. We use an HDMI cable.

Hello,

My suggestion would be purchasing a new HDMI cable.  Sometimes the older HDMI cables can have issues.  Many of the ones that TWC techs have on the trucks are refurbished and not good quality.  Instead, go to an electronics store and get a quality HDMI cable, (not discounted)  which will run you about $20.

When you get home, turn off the box, and unplug it for a minute or more.  After the cable is connected, plug the box in and allow the system to reboot.  If the issues persist, you will need to have a tech come out to check your signal levels and drop line.  That should be specified in the work order.  But try a new HDMI cable first.

Satch

Expert

Make sure all connections are tight and that there's no extra splitters with cables off to nowhere.

What was wrong with your old box? It may not have been bad! Bad signal levels can't be fixed by a new box, modem or unplugging the device or reset remotely.

Rookie

Our old box was making awful noises and would not turn on. I will try a new HDMI cable when I get to Best Buy this weekend. Thank you!

Valued Participant

I'm having the same problem with the Arris DVR box and it's extremely annoying!  All was fine when I used a Sci. Atl. box so, clearly, the issue is not my TV or HDMI cable - there's something wrong with these Arris boxes.

However, a week ago I bought a new, high speed HDMI cable thinking it might correct the audio problems.  It seemed to for a short while but then reverted back to very low audio on several channels (mostly low numbered ones) and on many of the DVR recorded programs.  Oddly, sometimes if I go into display settings and change the audio connection from PCM, Dolby, etc. back to HDMI the sound returns.  Again, that's a short term fix because it doesn't fix the sound on a permanent basis. I've rebooted the device, reconnected the HDMI, checked to see all connections are secure and nothing is helping the audio consistency. 

Lead Moderator

If you are having ongoing issues with the cable box we encourage you to take that into a TWC store location,advise the agent what is happening with the box, and request a replacement.

You cand find a local TWC location here: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/twc-stores.html

If you would prefer to speak with technical support prior to doing this we encourage you to contact

our Social Media Customer Care team directly. We are available 24 hours a day.

We can be reached several ways:

Email: TWCable.Help@twcable.com
Twitter: @TWC_Help
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/messages/twc

Thank you for participating in the Forums.
Have a good rest of the day!

Regards,
Julia R.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Expert

You need to look in both the tv and boxes audio settings. They should be set to normal not wide wide boosts stereo separation and kills the mono level. It will cause varied audio between channels.

Valued Participant

Same problems here! It's beyond frustrating since I had no problems before I swapped my old Scientific Atlanta DVR for the enhanced Arris 3600-M. This seems to be a common complaint. Why hasn't Time Warner acted to fix whatever issues are causing the low, almost non-existant audio on the lower numbered channels for both live and recorded programs???
Valued Participant

[ Edited ]

With my Arris 3600-M DVR if audio isn't set to fixed & narrow there's NO sound at all. Same with my old Sci. Atl. box.

Newcomer

Same thing here!! So frustrating--tv is only 1 year old, previous small cable box stopped working last month so they replaced with the small hd one. Channels are missing and continually cut out and pixelate, sound goes up and down and breaks up = horrible viewing experience! Internet works fine and additional tvs and boxes work fine. New hdmi cable in use. 😕 Has anyone had any luck switching it out for another new one? It seems like this is a rampant issue but of course they know nothing about it when you call...apparently they don't get Google there to see the tons of threads that show up when you search for a solution.