Observer

Slow Response in the evening hours

We have noticed that in the morning, channnel change, search, select a show, look at anything is responsive for us. Now in the evening. we experiance numerious time outs and long lag time between changing channels, selcting our recorded shows, basicaly every activity that involves the cable box. Is anyone else noticing this?

12 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Slow Response in the evening hours

Copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages as well as where it is splitterwise to the DVR/ Cable boxes.

Then on one of the slow channels, press and hold the select button for 10 seconds, hit the up arrow.

What is the IB freq, level, s/n and both the OOB tx/rx freq's and levels.

Observer

I have no idea what this even means. Why is there good response at 8 AM and at 8 PM ssslllooowww?

Lead Moderator

When experiencing latency on the cable boxes the first thing I would suggest is

unplugging the power to the equipment for about 1 minute and then plug it in 

and let it reboot. 2nd thing I would check is the batteries in the remote. 3rd thing

I would suggest is checking to make sure that all of the coaxial cables are very tight.

On the back of the cable box and at the other end, whether it be a splitter or a connection 

directly to the wall coax outlet.

if you are still having trouble I would suggest contacting support for further investigation. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Established Sharer

mssully wrote:

I have no idea what this even means. Why is there good response at 8 AM and at 8 PM ssslllooowww?

He is saying one possibility is that you might have a signal or coax line issue causing the slowdowns.  Are you tv only subscriber or do you also have TWC/Spectrum internet? Looking at the modems signal levels can be an indicator of line issues causing your tv problems.

Observer

This would make sense if the problem was always presant, how does a problem happening only in the evening get corrected? Seems like it is happening when more traffic is on the entire system. With respect, I was looking for input from other customers, not technitions at Spectrum. Thank you.

Highlighted
Established Sharer

Signal or line problems or interference from cell phones can be intermittent and only manifest when there is strain on the system, such as evenings during heavy peak usage times when everyone is home streaming  Netflix and youtube, gaming, doing all their photo backups to the cloud, etc.   It could also be that you have too many splitters or unterminated coax lines or that the box just needs to be rebooted.

Expert

This is peer to peer support, we can't read your boxes or modems to see if it's a physical issue.

Call TWC and get a tech out.

Newcomer

Definitely! The response time tends to lag more when it gets later in the evening. Streaming becomes a challenge, because the picture starts to freeze and go in slow motion.

Expert

Much of this is due to numerous bad connections on the node affecting all customers.

TWC/ Spectrum has done nothing to fix/ update the ailing infrastructure everywhere from the modems/cable boxes on down the streets to the fiber converters. Much of this is uneducated subscribers thinking pixellation and breakup on cable tv is either normal or acceptable. it takes numerous complaints from many node users to get them out to repair it, but the individual homes must be repaired/inspected f irst.

My connectors and drop were replaced 5 years ago and it's the newest one on the street, several others have serious egress ingress issues. I found the cause of frequent T3's, was a bad hardline connection 1500' downstream of me, once repaired, the T3's only occur a couple times a month when they escallated to daily occurances.

But, there is no way you can call in or report these to TWC, when it's not your connection, I had to catch a bucket truck guy to go fix it.