Spectator

Set-top box non-op after power outage?

I have two cable boxes in my house due to the recent digital changeover. I have a Scientific Atlanta in my living room (which I've had for a few years) and a Cisco box in our bedroom that I just got a couple months ago.

Early sunday morning we had a power outage, after it came back on neither box was displaying the time or working. I called the automated system and had it send a reboot. Atlanta box rebooted, was not showing time but the cable was working fine. The Cisco box didn't do anything, even after subsequent reboot attempts.

When i turn the Cisco box on, it shows the blue "Scientific Atlana" home screen for awhile, then the screen goes black and it goes to channel 1 with no picture. If you change the channels, it says something like "connection with the network was interrupted" in a gray box at the bottom of the screen.

Just a little bit ago I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it rebooted, showed "boot" on the screen, did a few thing, power light flashed, it shut back off. When I turned it back on it said "Notice: This device is not authorized for use, please call 1-800-XXX-XXXX." Unfortunately I did not get the number. I just tried another unplug-reboot, going to let it sit for awhile since after the last one I read on the website that if the clock doesn't display, the box is not ready for use (even though that wasn't the case with the living room box).

i've tried to call customer service a couple times, waited on hold for 10+ minutes and never got through, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows what is causing the issue here. Sorry for the long post.

5 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: Set-top box non-op after power outage?

A power outage can cause all kinds of issues, one of which is causing boxes to short out. I've never seen a server connection error like you described, but if you're getting the boot up screen and potentially that "call this number" message, it sounds like the box is still operating - but it may not be receiving any signal. Something could have happened to the grounding plate outside, or the box itself could be fubar.

You can try swapping the box at any Spectrum store, but I would recommend getting a technician scheduled by calling technical support.

Trusted Helper

@SavvTechy wrote:

A power outage can cause all kinds of issues, one of which is causing boxes to short out. I've never seen a server connection error like you described, but if you're getting the boot up screen and potentially that "call this number" message, it sounds like the box is still operating - but it may not be receiving any signal. Something could have happened to the grounding plate outside, or the box itself could be fubar.

You can try swapping the box at any Spectrum store, but I would recommend getting a technician scheduled by calling technical support.

I agree with the above,

You will also need to schedule a signal and drop line test as a box swap will never solve bad signals or line problems.  Specify the signal and drop line test when you call.

To prepare for this test, do not reboot any equipment, (boxes, modems, or routers) for six hours.  Doing a reboot resets the error codes and the tech will need to see the error codes.  Line damage from the storm is a very strong possibility.

Satch

Spectator

How could there be line damage between two boxes in the same house?

At any rate I'm going to try to get ahold of them and get a tech I guess.

Helper

@ghunt81 wrote:

How could there be line damage between two boxes in the same house?

At any rate I'm going to try to get ahold of them and get a tech I guess.

Power surges can cause all sorts of unexpected problems.

Have you tried moving the working box to the outlet where the non-working box is located to see if it's the box itself or the outlet?

Spectator

Technician came by Friday afternoon. Checked the wiring, replaced both boxes (he said the one in the living room was an old model and needed swapped out). Wiring was fine, apparently the box was bad, so that fixed it.