Spectator

Set Top Box/Owner Purchase

Is it possible to purchase a set top box from Spectrum or other source to avoid the monthly rental charge from Spectrum?

Do you need at least one set top box to use a Roku device, or can you  completely dispense with the box and view TV using strictly Roku with Spectrum TV subscription.?

TIA

5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Set Top Box/Owner Purchase

@douglas9 wrote:

Is it possible to purchase a set top box from Spectrum or other source to avoid the monthly rental charge from Spectrum?

Do you need at least one set top box to use a Roku device, or can you  completely dispense with the box and view TV using strictly Roku with Spectrum TV subscription.?

TIA

You cannot buy a box to avoid the monthly fee.  Although you CAN buy an altertive, each with their own fee:

1.  Buy a Tivo.  You'll need to rent a cable-card from the company ($2 / month last I checked).  You will need to pay for the Tivo hardware itself, plus the guide data - which can be paid for in a lump sum (formerly known as lifetime service but is not called "all-in", or monthly (in perpetuity).  This is an option to consider if you plan to DVR shows.  Buying a used Tivo with lifetime service can reduce your capital costs.

2.  Use a Roku.  You will need to be an internet subscriber, too, to take advantage of this.  I use them myself, but as tuners on secondary sets.  It's not as reliable as the linear feed, but is more than adequate for use on secondary TV sets.  I understand you do not need to rent a box to use the Roku, but you may have trouble getting things set up, as I've read you need one video device to tie your subscription to.

Considering how much they charge you for unreturned equipment, you'd think they'd stop charging the monthly fee once the sum of your monthly rentals exceeds the replacement cost of the box....  which doesn't take long.

Valued Participant

Community Manager

@douglas9

In addition to Roku, there are also streaming options like Spectrum Choice.   As long you have internet with us, you can add the streaming service that can be used with mobile devices or most Samsung Smart TV's.  I've included a link that will provide more information.  No box is needed with this option.  

Sharer

Tivo doesn't provide access to Spectrum's on demand content.

Newcomer

Apparently, the "norm" is one TV per room, which A. We are a sport fanatic house and B. Less than 5 TVs in the main room is simply unacceptable. To have to "rent" ten (yes, 10 additional) boxes would cost us $80.00  PER MONTH, or $960. PER YEAR ON TOP OF OUR NORMAL MONTHLY BILL.   This doesn't seem practical or fair. If TWC/Spectrum wants to make a statement they should offer to sell units... we have a Firestick, but difficult to find live TV programs on a daily basis.