Browser

Screen goes black when changing channel

I have an odd issue. Often when I change the channel, particularly when I use the previous channel flashback, the screen goes black. There is still audio and the banner, channel guide etc still appear on screen and function normally. If I do nothing the sreen will remain black. This is not a few seconds like it normally does when I change channels. It will remain black, I have left it for several minutes to see if it would eventually kick in and it does not. If I change the channel or flashback and then go back to the channel the picture comes on normally.

I currently have an ARRIS DVR dcx3600-m but this issue occured with my previous box as well. I thought it was probably a box issue so when I switched boxes I expected it to go away but it continued.

This is more of an annoyance than a problem but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and if there is a solution other than "try a ifferent box".

3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Screen goes black when changing channel

@Rburns59 wrote:

I have an odd issue. Often when I change the channel, particularly when I use the previous channel flashback, the screen goes black. There is still audio and the banner, channel guide etc still appear on screen and function normally. If I do nothing the screen will remain black. This is not a few seconds like it normally does when I change channels. It will remain black, I have left it for several minutes to see if it would eventually kick in and it does not. If I change the channel or flashback and then go back to the channel the picture comes on normally.

I currently have an ARRIS DVR dcx3600-m but this issue occurred with my previous box as well. I thought it was probably a box issue so when I switched boxes I expected it to go away but it continued.

This is more of an annoyance than a problem but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and if there is a solution other than "try a different box".

Greetings,

The one thing that you would want to do especially with HD sets, is to change the OUTPUT RESOLUTION to go to 1080i in  Settings and deselect all the other options.  Here's how:

1. Press the SETTINGS button on your remote.
  2. Using the LEFT/RIGHT arrow buttons, highlight HIGH DEFINITION.
  3. Using the UP/DOWN arrow buttons, highlight Output Resolution.
  4. Press SELECT.
  5. Using the UP/DOWN arrow buttons, select each resolution that you want to have passed through to the television.

Most newer TVs can use any of the available options, which are:

Auto select

480i (default) — 480 lines, interlaced

480p — 480 lines, progressive

720p — 720 lines, progressive

1080i — 1080 lines, interlaced

1. The selected resolutions appear with (●) bullets.
  2. Turn off Auto Select, and put a dot ONLY by the 1080i setting, removing the dot from all others.
  3. Press the C button to save.
  4. Press the EXIT button to dismiss the Settings menu

Now try to change channels.  If this does not solve the problem.  Power off your box, unplug it for a minute, plug it back in and allow it to reboot. Still have the black screen issue?

If you still have the blank screen issue, call Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  Do not reboot any equipment for six hours prior to your service call, as the tech needs to check error codes.  Rebooting of any boxes, modems, or routers will reset the error codes.  The tech will need to check the error codes to check your signal levels.  A swapped box will never solve bad signals.  The tech can replace lines and wiring inside the home to improve signal quality.  If the signals and lines are good, the tech will need to replace the box.

Satch

Browser

Thanks for the response.

I already have the HD set for 1080i. I don't know if the problem is serious enough to warrant a service call. I notioced something else. When the screen is blank if I rewind a few seconds the picture comes up and plays back normally including the part that was blanked. It really sounded like a box issue to me but since it came with the new box as well I don't really believe that.

If it gets worse or if I have a service call for another reason I will mention the signal test. However since I live in an apartment I don't know how much they can really do.

Thanks again.

Trusted Helper

@Rburns59 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I already have the HD set for 1080i. I don't know if the problem is serious enough to warrant a service call. I notioced something else. When the screen is blank if I rewind a few seconds the picture comes up and plays back normally including the part that was blanked. It really sounded like a box issue to me but since it came with the new box as well I don't really believe that.

If it gets worse or if I have a service call for another reason I will mention the signal test. However since I live in an apartment I don't know how much they can really do.

Thanks again.

Hello,

Just because you live in an apartment should not be a reason to put up with sub-standard service.  As all service calls are free, relating to Spectrum equipment and services, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by setting them up when you have issues.  Every tech knows how to do a signal and drop line test.  Calling and setting that up by getting that done often  solves many problems.

We had a signal and drop line test done because all of our services were dropping out.  Blank channels, pixilation, phone dropping out, Internet dropping out.  Tech came out and although our signals were good, he found out that our wiring inside the house was 30 years old.  He replaced the wiring and that solved everything.  Well, I did have to update the firmware on my owned router to stop my signal disconnects.  But the signal and drop lne test can be a first step in determining where other problems might exist.

Since you have had other boxes with the same issue, this is not a box problem.  You have something in your outside drop line, your wiring, your tap.  There is a SLIGHT chance that this could be related to an old HDMI cable.  I don't think so, but you could pick up a new one for about $25 bucks.  Power off your TV/box, connect the new cable, and see after boot up that the problem is resolved after a three day test.  I'd wager this issue on a wiring or line drop problem.  You should really set up this service call.

All you need to do is the following:

1.) Don't reboot any equipment for six hours prior to your service call.

2.) Be home during your appointment window time to answer your phone or reply to your text message when the tech is on the way to avoid cancellation of your appointment.

Satch